none
Uninstall Perfect Disk - I don't have this program

Question

• Hello.

I am trying to Install Windows 7 on my Laptop.  I currently have Windows Vista Ultimate.  When the Windows 7 Install Disk is going through the compatibility, it comes up with an error about a program I can't find on my computer.

The program Perfect Disk is showing up as a show stopper on installing the new OS system.  I have gone to the Uninstall feature to get rid of the program, but it is not listed.  Plus, I don't remember putting this program on my computer.  Apparently, it is a defragmenting program.

Can someone help me find this and get rid of it so I can install Windows 7? 

Thanks.

EBoo
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:22 AM

All replies

• EBoo,

Look for Raxco (the company that has developed perfect disk). Raxco's website reports that PerfectDisk is compatible with Windows 7. Maybe not, eh?

JT  
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:08 AM
  • I looked for Raxco, but do not have that either.  Thanks for the suggestion!!
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:11 PM
  • You could look into this thread for possible ideas: http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/8605-rc-wont-install-due-perfectdisk.html. As others reported that using this program (or some versions of it, or having it used and removed it in the meantime) results in an altered NTFS system that Windows 7 can't use, I would also reformat the partition you want install Windows 7 to, best from inside the installation process (Custom Install, Drive Options).
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:42 PM
  • This topic was already covered in these forums.

Raxco is aware that their product is halting win7 installation. Here is a forum post dealing with this problem

Repeat of the answer:

Here's a link to your answer:

http://www.perfectdisk.com/support/kb/835

For some reason perfect disk is deeply embedded into the system and a very specific course of action is required to remove it.
    They do seem to be aware that their software is a problem for W7RC installs. Use the following link if the proceedure given doesn't work.

http://www.perfectdisk.com/support/contact-technical-support

Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back with its results...

Click here for my thread on Win7 min. requirements
    - JoelbX
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:53 PM
  • The blue link listed above listed an uninstall program that should have removed the embedded perfect disk program from my computer, but my computer would let the fix be that easy. 

Next I went to this link: http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/8605-rc-wont-install-due-perfectdisk.html provided by Sanmartin and some suggestions were to buy perfect disk 10 because it is compatible with Windows 7.

So, I have downloaded the 30 trail program of Perfect Disk 10 and it is defragmenting my hard drive.  I figured I should have it do that first and then try the upgrad again.  I will let you know once it is done defraging.

Thanks to everyone who have made suggestions thus far.

Elizabeth

Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:56 PM
  • I installed Perfect Disk 10, which is supposed to be compatible with Windows 7.  I defragmented my hard drive and still receive the error about perfect Disk.  I guess I will go to Perfect Disk Support.  Let you know what I find out.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 7:32 AM
  • I installed Perfect Disk 10, which is supposed to be compatible with Windows 7.  I defragmented my hard drive and still receive the error about perfect Disk.  I guess I will go to Perfect Disk Support.  Let you know what I find out.

If you are just trying to install the 7 RC, you could just clean-install win7 and not upgrade thorugh Vista, but then you would have to back up your documents and re-install all your programs.

Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back with its results...

Click here for my thread on Win7 min. requirements
    - JoelbX
    Friday, July 31, 2009 4:25 PM
  • Hello All.

After reviewing the various KB articles and this thread, I still couldn't find the instance of PerfectDisck that was causing Windows 7 upgrade to stall.  The tech knew exactly where to direct me.  We had used a Laplink plus to migrate from XP to Vista.  In the laplink folder, there is am x86 or x64 folder.  I may have the names wrong, within that folder there is a Perfectdisk and Rasco folders.. you need to delete the perfectdisk.exe files.  My Windows search was failing because I neglected to select the advance feature of "show hidden items".
    I hope this helps.

Jonathon 
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:18 PM
  • This should really help: delete the "RAXCO" folder from Program Files, then go to Start and type in Regedit and press enter. Use Edit: Find: Type in "Raxco" and delete all entries it finds (F3 to search for Next item until search is complete) Then do another search for "Perfdisk" and remove all of those entries too.....   I found loads of entries for both and am now going to try W7 upgrade again... Good Luck... :-)

Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:29 PM
  • This should help as i just resolved this issue:IF you would not be able to find perfect disc anywhere,run the windows 7 upgrade advisor.

Whatever softwares compatibility report will term as non compatible,remove all of them.

Try the upgrade,it will work.Make sure that you remove softwares by using revo uninstaller(from the registry).

Thanks

Sahil Kapur

Microsoft technical support

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:07 AM