none
Boot from VHD: "License error: Booting from a vhd is not supported on this system" RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Vista Ultimate 32 bit on my laptop.
    My goal is to be able to dual-boot ot
    Per this information I went ahead and did the following:

1. Copied Win7 BOOTMGR and BCDEDIT from the Win7 dvd to my C: drive (where Vist is installed)
    2. Booted of Win7 DVD, ran DISKPART
    3. Set up a VHD for my Win7
    4. Booted of Win7 DVD, was able to install Win7 into the VHD partition

All good! :-)

Rebooted my laptop, was able to select bootto Win7 VHD from Bootmgr.

BUT ...
    When Win7 VHD image has completed loading, I get the following error:
    "License error: Booting from a vhd is not supported on this system"
    Then it reboots after about 10 seconds.

So what is wrong here?

The VHD contains a kosher copy of Win7 Pro RTM 64-bit (from my Technet subscription)

What does it mean by "not supported on this system?"

I did *not* use IMAGEX to apply INSTALL.WIM to the vhd.
    Should I have done that?

Many thanks,
    Drew

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:44 PM

Answers

• Booting from VHD is only supported (and licensed) for Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise, not Professional.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:32 PM

All replies

• Have same error after instalation to vhd file on 32bit system where XP and Win7 RC is already installed.

Thanks for any suggestions.

SamKo

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:23 PM
  • Booting from VHD is only supported (and licensed) for Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise, not Professional.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Well, I guess that could explain my problem :-)

I don't recall seeing that documented very clearly in the articles I've read.  Does anybody have a link to an explicit confirmation that it is only supported for W7 Ultimate?

(In the mean time, I will try with Ultimate)

Many thanks.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:56 PM
  • Well, I guess that could explain my problem :-)

I don't recall seeing that documented very clearly in the articles I've read.  Does anybody have a link to an explicit confirmation that it is only supported for W7 Ultimate?

(In the mean time, I will try with Ultimate)

Many thanks.

Hi Drew

The documentation is here:

"Native boot from VHD is available with all versions of Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7 Enterprise, and Windows 7 Ultimate."

Frequently Asked Questions: Virtual Hard Disks in Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:30 PM
  • Yup, W7 Ultimate resolved the issue.
    Many thanks to everybody for their help.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:33 PM
  • I also get the licenses error... and I'm running Win 7 .. it wouldn't take the licenses number microsoft assigned..  I got past that by leaving the licneses field empty.. but then it  shows the licenses error and reboots.

This is soooo frustrating. I spent most of the day setting up the virtual hard drive. It was a very complicated process.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 12:01 AM
  • I noticed it's showing the home edition... but I'm running the Ultimate edition.. how can I force the Ultimate version in the VHD from the install.wim file?
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:11 PM
  • Deleted
    Friday, July 8, 2011 10:43 PM
  • I know this is 2 years on, but for anyone who wants to do the above, you will need to make a .wim image of your upgraded installation, and get your vhd to boot from that. This is a very complicated procedure. You will need to install the Windows AIK, then make a WinPE boot image, boot from this and then capture your image as a wim file using imagex. Your then set this wim file as the target of your vhd. Then set up boot options. This has the advantage of including your applications and updates but is a lot of work for a single computer. It is easier to use 3rd party imaging tools like ghost or Acronis.
    Sunday, September 15, 2013 7:04 PM