none
Win XP virtual machine on SSD

Question

• Setup:
    I'm running Win7 Pro (x64) on an Intel X25-M (G2) SSD. I would like to run a Win XP 32-bit guest VM using Virtual PC (not XP Mode).

Questions:
    1) Do I need to be concerned about TRIM/Garbage Collection for the XP guest OS VHD or mapping to shares on the host?
    2) If I copy an existing VM created on a HDD to the SSD do I need to consider cluster alignment for the VHD?

Thanks
    Friday, June 25, 2010 4:52 PM

Answers

• 1.) TRIM will not work in the VM as it is a Win 7 feature.  You can still map to shares on the host.

2.) It appears Win 7 does an alignment.  My XP VM starting offset is at 32,256 bytes.  What system was the VM created on?  You can check the partition alignment by runing msinfo32.exe; clicking on Components; then Storage; and finally Disks within the VM.

I personally would not recommend running VMs on an SSD since the VM itself would not be SSD aware and I suspect would have a high level of wear on the SSD itself.  Doing all the SSD tweaks that can be found on the internet in the XP VM may reduce the wear some, but there is still a lot of disk activity going to be generated by the VM.

Friday, June 25, 2010 6:23 PM

All replies

• 1.) TRIM will not work in the VM as it is a Win 7 feature.  You can still map to shares on the host.

2.) It appears Win 7 does an alignment.  My XP VM starting offset is at 32,256 bytes.  What system was the VM created on?  You can check the partition alignment by runing msinfo32.exe; clicking on Components; then Storage; and finally Disks within the VM.

I personally would not recommend running VMs on an SSD since the VM itself would not be SSD aware and I suspect would have a high level of wear on the SSD itself.  Doing all the SSD tweaks that can be found on the internet in the XP VM may reduce the wear some, but there is still a lot of disk activity going to be generated by the VM.

Friday, June 25, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Hi, I am using OCZ VERTEX 2 120G in my thinkpad laptop with 4G memory and runs 64 bit win7. I have seen somewhere that symbols the win7 will automatically  close the defragment and other super.. or pre.. ,but it still works in my win7 and I did not know this at the first time I use it , so I use win7 clean up disk and defragment disk, has this hurt my SSD seriously?also  I have set up XP mode and create another VHD(10G) named F volume in my XP mode, does that hurt my SSD? I do not under why I have an original disk 120G and also have one 10G disk outside my C disk in XP mode, as you know ,my total disk in 120G.Can you tell me, thank you. 
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 4:06 AM
  • wanmeiyajnzi wrote:

Hi, I am using OCZ VERTEX 2 120G in my thinkpad laptop with 4G memory and runs 64 bit win7. I have seen somewhere that symbols the win7 will automatically  close the defragment and other super.. or pre.. ,but it still works in my win7 and I did not know this at the first time I use it , so I use win7 clean up disk and defragment disk, has this hurt my SSD seriously?also  I have set up XP mode and create another VHD(10G) named F volume in my XP mode, does that hurt my SSD? I do not under why I have an original disk 120G and also have one 10G disk outside my C disk in XP mode, as you know ,my total disk in 120G.Can you tell me, thank you. 

Since you have an OCZ SSD you should go to the OCZ forums for the latest and most accurate information on optimizing your setting for your OCZ SSD.

Main page of the forum: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?186-Indilinx-Vertex-Agility-Turbo-Solid-V2-Colossus-and-Z-Drive-with-Microsoft-OS.

Tweaks for Win 7: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?67056-Just-what-tweaks-are-needed-in-win7-with-SSD

There is also much more available there.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Surely the host OS is where the trim command will be used...

As far is the XP virtual machine goes it's no different to any other application running on the host, saving a file to the SSD.

Saturday, July 09, 2011 12:52 PM
  • Surely the host OS is where the trim command will be used...

As far is the XP virtual machine goes it's no different to any other application running on the host, saving a file to the SSD.

But there is a difference.  The XP VM is an Operating System running applications.  Not a single application running.  The XP VM would still have a Page File and perform all the functions an OS performs.  Therefore, the XP VM would generate more activity that a single application would.  The XP VM would be totally oblivious to the fact that it is running on a SSD.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Saturday, July 09, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Rick is correct.  An SSD would be a poor choice for vhd files.  Even though the host sees the vhd as a data file, the vm sees it as an OS system disk.  A lot of reading and writing is going on.  I recommend a usb external drive for the vhd file.  They serve my vm's fine.  I am now using usb 3 and my vm performances are great.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Saturday, July 09, 2011 8:02 PM