none
Windows Update failure 656 .Net framework 4.5.1

Question

• Can anyone help?

This month--February 2014--on one of my computers, I'm getting a consistent failure code 656 "Windows Update encountered an unknown error" with two .Net framework 4.5.1 updates: KB2901126, KB2898869. Even after rebooting multiple times, neither will install even if I try them individually. And each time that Windows update comes up, it says there are three updates available and one always succeeds: "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - February 2014 (KB890830)". Next time I reboot and look at Windows Update that update is back and wants to install again.

I tried the automated Windows Update component reset thing.

I'm running Windows 7 SP1 with all the other updates. Windows update itself is at the latest version.

Ultimately, I rebuilt my computer since nothing else was working.
    • Edited by notRoman Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:02 AM result
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:01 PM

Answers

• Had the same problem! Tried this, worked for me! I hope it will help you guys too! :)
    1. Close any currently running applications.
    2. Click Start, and type Uninstall in the Search box and then click Uninstall a program.
    3. Double-click Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 to launch the .NET Framework 4.5.1 Maintenance dialog.
    4. Select Repair .NET Framework 4.5.1 to its original state and click Next.
    5. Allow the repair to complete and then click Finish.
    6. Click Restart Now to restart your computer.
    7. Run a manual check for updates and attempt to install the update(s) again.

Many thx, this fixed it for me aswell!

Repair of .NET 4.5.1 asked for a missing netfx_Full_LDR_x64.msi but a full search on drive C: showed it up in some windows installers folder and it worked after pointing the repair installer to it!

Greetz,
    N0rd

Greetz, Nord

Saturday, March 1, 2014 5:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please upload the windowsupdate.log file, we may help you to analyze it.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 14, 2014 8:34 AM
  • I'm having similar issues. Also using a Win7 SP1 PC (all previous updates installed).

I have to install those two updates (KB2898869 & KB2901126) again and again and again.

They aren't installed "really". Under "Programs  and Functions" -> "Show installed Updates" they aren't listed.

• Edited by henniheine Friday, February 14, 2014 12:46 PM
    Friday, February 14, 2014 12:30 PM
  • It's too big to paste all of the text here even from just after initiating update. Is there a place to upload an actual file?
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 1:41 AM
  • Hi,

I have similar issue. I'm running Windows 7 SP1 with all the other updates.

I have said 2 updates KB2901126, KB2898869 since few days ago always showing up in update list. I install them, successfully, they show up in Update History (many many times), but once I check for updates, they appear again, and you can install them again and again this way.

When I shut down my PC, these updates show up on shut down button and are installed before system shut downs one more time, just to appear in tray next time I boot.

What do? How to remove them or Install them properly?

Sunday, February 16, 2014 9:20 AM
  • The exact same problem overhere :-(
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 11:31 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the late reply due to the weekend.

You can upload the log via SkyDrive and share a link in forum so that we can analyze what happened during the update installation.

Alex Zhao

Monday, February 17, 2014 3:18 AM
  • I copied log here for last 10minutes when I updated few times, and every time it installs successfully but immediately shows up again.

http://pastebin.com/jHEXkx6j

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 1:14 PM
  • Hi,

I have checked the windowsudpate.log, it seems it always can search for the two updates, no matter they were installed for several times.

I would do some tests and check the process by myself. If I find something, I would update as soon as possible.

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:32 AM
  • Hi,

From my test, if I install the two updates, there is no error information after that, and I can still see the two updates in installed updates list.

Can you test to confirm that?

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:53 PM
  • I cannot see these updates in Installed Updates list. 

I can see them in Update History.

Now I have disabled Windows Updates entirely to fix this issue.
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:32 AM
  • Hi notRoman and others,

You can try to install the two updates manually via Microsoft Download Center, by this way, I have so such issue in my environment. You can try it.

Alex Zhao

Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:23 AM
  • I tried to download and install these 2 updates manually. Win7 64bit. I unblocked them and ran as admin, and each shoots same error:

"Software Update KB2898869 Installation Wizard does not apply, or is blocked by another condition on your computer."

I have several of the same PCs, and only one is displaying this problem.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 3:53 PM
  • Those two updates went away. The update history does not show them having succeeded in installing. They are just gone. But a new .Net update shows up in Windows Update: KB2858725. It also fails to install with error code 641.

I tried running it manually (I'm trying to paste the whole file name here, but all that shows up is ENU.exe. Seriously!? What the fuck!?) and that fails. "Installation did not succeed. .Net framework 4.5.1 has not been installed because: the windows installer service could not be accessed." A dialog comes up that has a link to a log file, but clicking it does nothing.

I tried following the suggestions in http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/need-to-reinstall-windows-installer-in-windows-7/4cb8e54c-5a4e-439d-9d46-1dcd387d2604

I tried running sfc /scannow. It returned message:

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 18% complete.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

The other changes didn't apply except unregistering and reregistering the Windows Installer. None of that made any difference.

Today, an update to Windows Activation Technologies showed up: KB971033. I tried to install that and it says that it succeeded.

KB2858725 still fails.

Here's a link to the part of my WindowsUpdate.log file after I tried to run the update of KB2858725 once again from Windows Update: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6C4435A4094C794E!251&authkey=!AFGBKgKlV8eTFiE&ithint=file%2c.log

• Edited by notRoman Friday, February 21, 2014 12:29 AM wrong link
    Friday, February 21, 2014 12:20 AM
  • Hi,

@ Frankothemountain,  you need check what the updates apply to:

•Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1, when used with:

Windows 7 Service Pack 1

@ notRoman, I found the installation failure code: Install failed, error = 0x80070643 / 0x00000641

we can refer to this article to troubleshoot this kind of installation issue:

NET Framework update installation error: "0x80070643" or "0x643"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982/en-us

Alex Zhao

Friday, February 21, 2014 8:49 AM
  • I went to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982/en-us. I tried the first fix. didn't work. I tried method 2: the first part didn't fix it. I clicked next and it pegged the CPU for like a half hour having gotten as far as collecting logs and then I canceled as it was clearly not getting anywhere. I have not yet tried Method 3: Uninstall and reinstall the .NET Framework.
    Friday, February 21, 2014 5:41 PM
  • No versions of .NET framework appeared in the Uninstall section of Programs and Features. So, I ran the .NET cleanup utility and removed version 4.5.1. Again I tried to run NDP451-KB2858728-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe and it failed:

Installation did not succeed. .NET Framework 4.5.1 has not been installed because: The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact bla bla.

For more information about this problem, see the log file. {clicking the link does nothing}

For information about the most current version of the .NET Framework, see Windows Update. {this link does work}

When you close this wizard, you will be prompted to send a problem report to Microsoft. {no, that does not happen} ... see error reporting service ...

Saturday, February 22, 2014 1:51 AM
  • Had the same problem! Tried this, worked for me! I hope it will help you guys too! :)
    2. Click Start, and type Uninstall in the Search box and then click Uninstall a program.
    3. Double-click Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 to launch the .NET Framework 4.5.1 Maintenance dialog.
    • Proposed as answer by Wen Lim Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:16 PM
    • Edited by Wen Lim Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:19 PM Typo
    • Unproposed as answer by Wen Lim Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:19 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Allito Saturday, March 1, 2014 7:51 AM
    Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:15 PM
  • Hi notRoam,

You can refer to this link to reset your Windows Installer Service:

"The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" error when you try to install a program in Windows 7 or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2642495/en-us

Alex Zhao

Monday, February 24, 2014 3:21 AM
  • Thanks for trying, but that didn't work either. I think my computer is just hosed. Nothing is making any difference. Looks like I'm going to have to rebuild from scratch at some point. .NET just won't reinstall.

FYI I did reimage my PC, but I haven't tried to reinstall .Net 4.5.1 on that computer, though I did on another computer so that I could install the WMF 4 to get Powershell 4. Still a little afraid of .Net updates though in general.

• Edited by notRoman Thursday, July 10, 2014 2:13 AM
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 4:43 AM

I have a HP PAVILION DV 6258 SE with WIN7 64 BIT installed by me and had the same problem. After hours wasted and two re installation of system, I got the same problem. This solution has been effective in my computer. Using WIN 7 BIT ultimate sp1. Firstable, got a problem in Skype, showing the program but not the log on screen.

And then, begun the nigthmare.

Thank you for this helpful answer. I hope this can work for others.

Adrián

Saturday, March 1, 2014 7:54 AM

Many thx, this fixed it for me aswell!

Repair of .NET 4.5.1 asked for a missing netfx_Full_LDR_x64.msi but a full search on drive C: showed it up in some windows installers folder and it worked after pointing the repair installer to it!

Greetz,
    N0rd

Greetz, Nord

Saturday, March 1, 2014 5:14 PM
  • I have a similar problem - I've Windows 7 SP1 x64 -  Compaq Presario CQ61 - If I try installing Silverlight it returnes   .... Silverlight non installed - Code error 656 Windows update error unknown

0 resulte for "windowsupdate_00000656" "windowsupdate_dt000"

and if I want download Framework 4.5.1 it returnes: not installed  impossible access to Windows installer

and according to previous replies if I try uninstalling Framework 4.5.1 I dont find it in the list of files installed in that list I have only: Microsoft.net Framework 4 Client profile, Framework 4 client profile Language pack and Framework 4 extended

In services.msc Windows installer is active and automatic

May I have a help ?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:05 AM
  • I've had this exact problem but the repair isn't working or is it giving me the option of pointing the repair installer to it.  How is this done?

Why is this still an issue? 

Sandy

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 3:06 PM
  • Thanks for that, it worked fine.

One little point, however.

Previously I was getting a 2 Updates installing, but every time it got to 2 of 2 it would say installation failed.  However, after applying the Repair fix, it went to the Installing stage, but just hung.  Eventually I gave up & clicked on the Stop Installation button & it came up with the message that 1 update had been applied, but one failed. So I did another check for updates & this time there was only the 1 update, so I did exactly the same on that (clicking "Stop Installation"), and zap - Success.

Might be an additional useful spot of info for anyone else having the same problem.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 3:40 PM
  • This also solved my problem so thank you for taking the time to post this :)
    Monday, December 1, 2014 2:07 PM
  • Greetz, will this work ........If running windows 8.1 full version why would maintenance say windows version 6.3?

J mitchell

Sunday, March 8, 2015 7:31 AM