none
Search Outlook 2010 Email in Win 8 RRS feed

• Question

• In Win 7 with Office 2010 installed I could click the globe, type a name and I would get a list of search results.  I would then click on the Outlook heading and a nice explorer search results pane would appear with all the email that referenced that name.

How do I do this in Win 8 with Office 2010 installed?  If I click on the start screen and type a name I do not see any outlook results or an option for outlook.  Is there some other way to search?  I checked the indexing options and outlook is indexed. The only result I've seen is if I have them as a contact I can find a strange entry under the 'other' category that always shows the outlook icon and is labeled 'has email'.

Thanks.

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:51 PM

Answers

• Indexed app content (Outlook and OneNote) doesn't seem to get listed anymore. You would have to use the search in Outlook itself.
    Friday, August 17, 2012 4:20 PM
  • You can still use the search bar inside the File explorer and search for mails. Just filter by type = mail.

• Edited by AnthonyDa Friday, August 17, 2012 6:47 PM
    • Proposed as answer by AnthonyDa Friday, August 17, 2012 6:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas LiModerator Tuesday, September 4, 2012 6:56 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 6:47 PM
  • Ok Thanks, I found how to do it but now it is way more complicated than clicking start and typing a name.  Correct me if I'm wrong, or if there is an easier way, but it seems like it has to be done the following way:

1. Open File explorer.
    2. Type in the search box.
    3. Click the search menu.
    4. Click kind and select e-mail.
    5. Click the search menu.
    6. Click search again in... Choose Microsoft Office Outlook.

Thanks.

What you can do (as a weird workaround) :

-Open file explorer, type "F3", then filter by type=mail.

-Save the search (you have the button on the right of the filter button).

-Then open that saved search. It automatically opens a file explorer with the search for email option enabled.

Friday, August 17, 2012 7:51 PM

All replies

• Indexed app content (Outlook and OneNote) doesn't seem to get listed anymore. You would have to use the search in Outlook itself.
    Friday, August 17, 2012 4:20 PM
  • At least it's not me and my setup.  I hope they fix it.  Just another strike against Win8 and upgrading the PCs at our company.

Thanks.

Friday, August 17, 2012 5:10 PM
  • You can still use the search bar inside the File explorer and search for mails. Just filter by type = mail.

• Edited by AnthonyDa Friday, August 17, 2012 6:47 PM
    • Proposed as answer by AnthonyDa Friday, August 17, 2012 6:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas LiModerator Tuesday, September 4, 2012 6:56 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 6:47 PM
  • Ok Thanks, I found how to do it but now it is way more complicated than clicking start and typing a name.  Correct me if I'm wrong, or if there is an easier way, but it seems like it has to be done the following way:

1. Open File explorer.

Thanks.

Friday, August 17, 2012 7:43 PM

1. Open File explorer.

Thanks.

What you can do (as a weird workaround) :

-Open file explorer, type "F3", then filter by type=mail.

-Save the search (you have the button on the right of the filter button).

-Then open that saved search. It automatically opens a file explorer with the search for email option enabled.

Friday, August 17, 2012 7:51 PM
  • I found I needed to do one additional step after opening File Explorer other than the common advise here: "Just filter by type = mail".

Type your search string in the search box of File Explorer, then on the Search Ribbon select "Search again in..." and choose "Microsoft Office Outlook".

Hope this helps.

Now - if someone can tell me an easier way (without having to use the ribbon) to accomplish this, I'd appreciate it.  Saved search?

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 5:48 PM
  • Just a suggestion.

1. Open an explorer window (Win+E)
    2. In the address bar click the left most arrow, it should expand to show, Desktop, Library etc.
    3. Locate your user folder.
    4. Open 'Searches'
    5. You should then see 'Microsoft Office Outlook', drag this to favourites.

Now any explorer window contains 'Outlook search'. Click + start typing.

To be honest I doubt this is any faster than searching directly in Outlook itself, and certainly not slicker than Win+'type' that we could do in Windows 7, but about the only way in explorer I could think of.

• Proposed as answer by Graham Laws Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:43 PM
    Monday, January 14, 2013 9:33 AM