none
Complete PC backup consistently fails RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to create a backup image of my Vista Ultimate laptop. I am using the Complete PC backup utility of Vista. I am backing up to an external USB 2.0 western digital drive.

I consistently get the followin error after the backup is just past halfway through

Backup failed:
    The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error (0x8007045D).

I have extensively searched for a solution online. The only solution I have seen is to disable and then re-enable System Restore and to clear old restore points. I have followed every variation of this solution. this includes attempting Complete PC backup with System Restore enabled, with it disabled, with restore points cleared, restore points set, etc.  

I have also attempted to back up to another USB drive and to a DVD set but I still receive the same error.

I did note that Complete PC backup did create a *.vhd file of 72 Gb, a Catalog folder with a GlobalCatalog and BackupGlobalCatalog file and a MediaId file. But I tried to test those files using the Vista RE and no backup files were recognized.

My laptop is a:

Sony Vaio FZ190

2 Gb RAM

100 MB Seagate 7200 rpm SATA hard drive

I did note a list of about 18 of the following errors in the system event log that corresponds to the same time the backup fails:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2.

Yet, there is nothing wrong with either the USB or the internal hard disks as far as I can tell.

I have all of the latest updates according to windows update and all driver updates from the manufacturer.

Is there any other solution I can attempt? Thanks for any help

Saturday, January 12, 2008 11:39 PM

Answers

•  

Hi MJKCSB,

Thank you for the reply.

From your post, I understand that you have reinstalled Windows Vista.

Please understand we need to restore the system to a computer with the exactly same hardware using Complete PC Backup. If hardware devices are not the same, we are probably unable to restore the system or the system will not boot properly.

Complete PC Backup is designed to back up the system under the circumstances when you do not make hardware changes or you have another computer with the same configurations.

In addition to restoring the entire system using Complete PC Backup, we can refer to the following article to restore the data from Complete PC Backup from Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 using the VHD file:

A Guide to Windows Vista Backup Technologies

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2007/09/Backup/default.aspx?loc=en

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:13 AM

All replies

•  

Hi MJKCSB,

Thank you for the post.

Based on the current situation, the issue can usually occur if the restore point is damaged.

I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Go to Properties on Computer.

2. Select Advanced system settings (UAC prompt here)

3. Select the System Protection tab

4. Uncheck any disks listed under Automatic restore point.

5. At the confirmation dialog, hit "Turn System Restore Off"

6. Hit "Apply". The most recent restore point column on all disks will now

indicate "None".

7. Check any disks that were unchecked in step 4. Hit "Apply".

8. Since you have now removed previous restore points hit "Create" so the system has at least one.

9. Provide a name for the restore point and hit "Create". When the restore point is complete, hit "Ok"

10. Close all dialogs and retry the backup.

What’s the result?

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, January 14, 2008 6:32 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I had tried your solution before but just to double check I followed your instructions exactly and ran this again. I still receive the same error.

At this point I am about ready to give up on Complete PC backup and see if I can use something more esoteric like ImageX.

All I want to do is ensure I have a backup image in case of hard disk failure.  

Monday, January 14, 2008 3:18 PM
  •  

Hi MJKCSB,

Thank you for the post.

Now please confirm you are in an account with administrator privileges.

The issue can also occur if an EISA partition marked as Active exists on your computer.

Let’s try the following steps to resolve this issue:

1. Click Start, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2. Check if an EISA partition exists. If so, right-click your Windows Vista system partition and click Mark Partition as Active.

3. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

4. Press a key when the message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …".

5. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

6. Click Repair your computer. 

7. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

8. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

9. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

10. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

11. Restart the computer and try the backup process again.

If the issue persists, the cause can be some running programs, such as SQL Server.

Let’s perform a Clean Boot to disable all third-party programs and services.

Clean boot

========

1. Click the Start Button, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click the Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer.

Note: Clean Boot is just a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can enable them later on. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

Can we perform a Complete PC Backup now?

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:44 AM
  •  

Thanks again.

I beleive I found the issue. It seems to be a bad sector on the hard disk. I ran a chkdsk. (well, the vista equivalent). After that  completed it reported a bad sector and repaired it. After that, I was able to successfully run a Complete PC backup. So I guess running chkdsk is good advice if anyone else reports this issue.

The problem I'm hainvg now is I restored the image to the exact same computer but after I swapped in another hard drive, since my old one apparently had something wrong.

The image successfully restored via Windows RE but after I restore the image the computer won't boot. It starts up and I get a white blinking cursor in the top left corner but nothing progresses past that.

Could this be a missing MBR? If so, how do I repair this?

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:43 PM
  • Hi MJKCSB,

Thank you for the reply.

I am glad to hear that the cause has been found.

I understand that after restoring the image to another hard drive, the system cannot boot.

Please understand that CompletePC Backup images can be used for disaster recovery and can be restored to another computer. The limitations on this are architecture related (x86 should be restored to x86 and not to x64, for example). Of course your new machine needs to have enough hard disk space to apply your image, and a larger disk image can't be restored to a smaller one.

Please note that in order to perform a CompletePC backup to another PC, the two computers need to have same hardware so that the system can successfully boot after the backup. Since a CompletePC backup consists of an entire system, including the specific device drivers for that system, restoring that backup to a system with different hardware will result in many errors.

Therefore, if your original drive and the current drive are not in the same brand and model, the systewill fail to boot. I suggest repairing the original drive or buying a new drive in the same brand/model with the original one .

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:25 AM
  • Just to clarify what I am attempting.

I have used Complete PC backup to create an image of my laptop on an external USB drive.

I then removed the failing hard drive (old hard drive: 100 Gb Seagate)

I then put in a new hard in that same laptop (new hard drive: 100 Gb Hitachi)

I then booted into Windows RE and did a complete PC restore of the image onto the new drive.

So the only hardware difference is the hard drive itself. This drive is the exact same size as the original.

1. Size could not be an issue since the drives were identical in size.

2. Drivers could not be an issue since all of the hardware remains the same. There are no driver differences between hard drives, just the motherboard hard drive controller, which is this case was unchanged.

Does this mean that in my case, the restore will not boot because I put in a Hitachi 100 Gb drive instead of another Seagate 100 Gb drive?

If this is the case, then Complete PC backup is very limited in use as a disaster recovery tool. There are 2 reasons I would use Complete PC backup.

1. To restore my PC to an earlier state due to configuration, or software based issues. (I assume this would work)

2. To provide a recovery option in case of hard disk failure. (This was my exact situation here and apparently this is not an intention of Complete PC backup. ) If a hard drive fails, it typically will not do so for a couple years. By that time, it would be very difficult to find the same size and manufacturer, let alone model, for the same drive being replaced. This would mean everyone would need to keep a spare hard drive of their same make and model.

However, I am now unclear what the true intention of the Complete PC backup is. From this forum, I am hearing that you can only restore to a system that matches the exact hardware configuration. Yet I pulled the below quote directly from microsoft's site regarding this feature:

"You can restore your PC back to its original state or onto another PC. "

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/backup.mspx

Does this mean you can restore to another PC only if all the hardware is identical?? That would be an extremely unlikely scenario, especially for home users.

In any case, I have given up and just did a full reinstall. It took a few hours but I think that this is less time than I would have spent getting this feature to work as I anticipated. My main concern now is I would like to image my clean machine in case I ever need to restore again. I am not sure whether to trust Complete PC backup or do go with a dedicated solution such as Norton Ghost.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:53 PM
  •  

Hi MJKCSB,

Thank you for the reply.

From your post, I understand that you have reinstalled Windows Vista.

Please understand we need to restore the system to a computer with the exactly same hardware using Complete PC Backup. If hardware devices are not the same, we are probably unable to restore the system or the system will not boot properly.

Complete PC Backup is designed to back up the system under the circumstances when you do not make hardware changes or you have another computer with the same configurations.

In addition to restoring the entire system using Complete PC Backup, we can refer to the following article to restore the data from Complete PC Backup from Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 using the VHD file:

A Guide to Windows Vista Backup Technologies

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2007/09/Backup/default.aspx?loc=en

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:13 AM
  • i too have had the same error message and have tried three external HDD including DVD's. I was on the phone with microsoft who told me to go call HP for support on this problem, after 2 hours of going through files and sharing control of my computer with them we came to the comclusion that the problem lies with an update sent out by microsoft that changed file folders and name. I am still working on getting microsoft to fix the problem. You can fix the problem by doing a full system restore but what good is that if you can't back-up your files. try to copy your main drive to your backup drive.

Respond to scott2S09@live.com

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:52 AM
  • also the restore points removal technique worked for me the first time but the problem persisted and now i'm stuck, if you can get a conferance call between your manufacturer and windows that seemed to help a little.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:05 AM