none
Windows 8 Pro Upgrade assistant asking to rename C:\Users folder

Question

• I just bought Windows 8 upgrade and trying to upgrade Windows 7. The upgrade assistant downloaded all the files, checks for application compatability and then stops at one point and ask me to rename C:\users folder.

This is the default profile folder, how can I rename a folder where files are already in use? I tried to rename and windows prompts that files are in use.

Why is upgrade assistant software prompting for something which is not possible, this should have been taken care by developers.

I dont want to create ISO and neither want to use USB flash. I want to run it from my existing windows 7 like any other previous version upgrades.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 6:43 AM

Answers

• You'll only see this error if the C:\Users folder isn't the folder the system is using for the root of the user profiles (i.e. if you created a new user account, it would be created somewhere else, not C:\Users).

We block the upgrade when we see this because there is a very high probability that you'd loose data if the upgrade continued, as the new OS is going to use C:\Users as the user profile root and could overwrite any files you have there :(

The best way out of this is to undo the customization you did to change the user profile root, and restore it to C:\Users.

Friday, November 02, 2012 6:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have the same issue, seems like nobody at MS has ever tested this before....

Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:52 PM
  • I too am having this problem. Upgrade from XP to Windows 8.

I've sent a message to @MicrosoftHelps to see if they can provide a solution.

Please can someone post if they find solution - thanks

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:01 PM
  • i have the same issue and cannot rename that folder therefore cannot complete the upgrade ... this is very annoying 

Monday, October 29, 2012 9:41 PM
  • I have the same problem and I am afraid no solution (other than a custom install from scratch and a lot of feeding DVDs into the computer, but experience from my vista and win7 "problem free" upgrades tells me that that's the quickest path).  One question to other suffering from this - are you using a directory junction to get "c:\users" off you main drive?  I suspect that to be the root of my problem (and why its not more common).  
    Friday, November 02, 2012 8:24 AM
  • Hi,

If we set user profile to D:\, it uses junction point for the folders in C:\Users to directly access to D:\ on Windows 7.

If we upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 8 at this setting, at almost end of the upgrade an error occurs and the upgrade would roll back

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, November 02, 2012 9:53 AM
  • You'll only see this error if the C:\Users folder isn't the folder the system is using for the root of the user profiles (i.e. if you created a new user account, it would be created somewhere else, not C:\Users).

We block the upgrade when we see this because there is a very high probability that you'd loose data if the upgrade continued, as the new OS is going to use C:\Users as the user profile root and could overwrite any files you have there :(

The best way out of this is to undo the customization you did to change the user profile root, and restore it to C:\Users.

Friday, November 02, 2012 6:26 PM

Friday, November 02, 2012 6:27 PM

How?

Why will I lose (note correct spelling) data? The data is not on the C drive.  This makes no sense.  This is supposed to be an upgrade, and one I have paid a lot of money for.

Sunday, November 18, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Please see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929831 - although it refers to Vista, the restrictions on changing the location of the user profile root still exist in later versions of Windows (although most of the servicing issues have been fixed).

The risk of data loss is not on your data drive, but anything you have in the c:\users folder would have been deleted if we allowed the upgrade.

Sunday, November 18, 2012 11:17 PM
  • I remember during my upgrade to Win 8 to have been asked to create an account/login at Microsoft. I used a slightly different spelling than my Win7 user account name (to avoid Danish characters). I did not expect that to change anything on my local PC. 

It did so, and whats worse it  ==>RENAMED MY USER DIRECTORY<== without warning me. This means that for instance Microsoft Outlook does no longer find my PST files, etc. (And those PST files are already some of the most maintenance unfriendly stuff I have seen).

It does probably also influnce the behavior of most other programs that have directory names saved in registry :(

---edited version---:

Sorry, Windows had just hooked me up on the "cloud". But Outlook could not access the pst files. It was not possible to see on the directory names that they were in the "cloud", quite confusing.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:53 PM