none
Win7 / Realtek "No speakers are plugged in" (prev. "no audio device installed")

Question

• I just installed Win 7, and sound didn't work... it first said "no installed audio device"

I went to Realtek and downloaded the latest driver, installed, and re-started.  When computer restarted, it seemed to install generic High Definition Audio Device drivers and not my Realtek driver (installed 4 of them - what's that?).  Now my error says "No speakers or headphones plugged in".  (Incidentally, I have a 2007 HP Pavilion a6040n PC, upgraded RAM and video card only.)

I think I know the problem but don't know how to solve... when I look at my audio devices, it displays "Digital Audio (HDMI)"... well, I don't have an HDMI audio device - I only have simple Logitech X-230 or something (two side speakers and a sub).

How do I get it to recognize non-HDMI devices?  Or recognize my Realtek driver (i.e. is Microsoft defaulting to another driver instead of what I want?)

Perhaps what is complicating it is that I do have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 HDMI graphics card.  Didn't have a conflict when I had Vista, but maybe does now?

Thanks for any help!

John
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:46 AM

Answers

• just fixed actually...

see if you on-board audio is disabled in the BIOS.

it was for me, soon as i started it up, it was all set.

(it was my fault, I forgot that when i had my creative card in, i disabled the on-board)
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 7:19 AM

All replies

• Do you install Windows 7 32 bit or Windows 7 64 bit? Based on my research, there isn't Windows 7 compatible driver released on HP site. Currently you can either download Windows Vista driver to install in Windows Vista compatibility mode or contact HP for support.

Disclaimer: we provide third party site for references, there may be some changes without notice. Microsoft doesn't guarantee any security in this website.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:25 AM
  • I have no idea, but I am having the exact same problem.

I did a clean install (I had XP Pro Previously), saying its the HD Realtek Audio using HDMI. I cannot change it.

Funny, I actually have a Creative Labs Sound Card installed also, but win7 does not support that card and has no drivers for it.
    I figured since windows automatically installed the realtek onboard, I could live with that, but even after downloading new drivers from realtek, still nothing.

Please, if someone has a fix for this, post it :)
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:43 AM
  • just fixed actually...

see if you on-board audio is disabled in the BIOS.

it was for me, soon as i started it up, it was all set.

(it was my fault, I forgot that when i had my creative card in, i disabled the on-board)
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 7:19 AM
  • How do you see if your on-board audio is disabled in the BIOS?
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Just had the same problem. When installing the GT 220 video card in an HP Pavillion desktop computer, the BIOS detects the fact that you have added an audio device (used for the HDMI connection) and disables the on board Realtek audio on the system board.

Restart your computer - press F1 a bunch of times until you see it say 'entering setup'. Move your cursor over and down until you find the option 'Onboard Audio'. It is set to 'automatic' by default. You want to change it to 'enabled'. Press the enter key and the exit and save.

That should fix it.
    • Proposed as answer by BigRed Yukon Friday, November 20, 2009 9:37 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 9:36 PM
  • first thing is first. make sure your hardware in bios is ste up correctly. contact support on your mother board. look for windows7 drivers on your mother board web site. you can also look for the chip manufacture web site for the audio which is not recommended for hardware compatability reasons. usually the mother board vendors change hardware slightly causing there driver to brake. only use this as last resort. windows 7 is always comming out with new drivers, especially since there are literally thousands of audio chips and drivers. by the way.. i have had fits of driver trouble with the onboard nvidia video for intel cpu. to further confuse things they changed the name from nforce to geforce and it is ONBOARD, not a card. over a dozen drivers updates for the video and neerly every driver from windows update site have failed installation. eventually, i installed the nvidia chipset unified drivers package chosing only the video. it is not the latest version, but it works.  ... back to the audio, recently i reinstalled xp and win7rc only to find win7 audio showed an error and digital audio near the clock... after seeing there is nothing pluged into any audio, i connected the analog single tiny speakers and rebooted to find it working properly with out changing any thing. personally i wanted to connect both digital and analog front and rear speakers and both used to work in xp... but windows 7 and the automatic plug and play will not send both digital and analog at the same time. i hope windows 7 will change this. dont forget to network with friends and techs as they can remind you of 12 ways to skin a cat and get your windows working again the way you want. remember windows 7 is new and needs a lot of refinement. also remember your computer is made by many vendors and you can contact all of them for support. it is very rare for all of them to fail on you, unless your hardware is super old. worst case you can buy a card for vista or windows 7 specifically and get support there.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 1:45 AM
  • I have the same problem on a brand new ASUS p5q Pro Turbo with on-board HDMI and spdif audio. Those are the only HD Audio devices Windows 7 will show me, an HDMI which it makes the default, and spdif. I am simply trying to use analog Klipsh 2.1 speakers with the green stereo-mini jack on the motherboard. My mobo audio chipset is VIA, so it's another chipset with the same behavior. I have another ASUS p5q with HDMI and spdif, but it's a micro-ATX, and it's not having this problem. I need Windows 7 to show me the analog device I have plugged into the mobo.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 9:22 PM
  • I also have the same problem on a brand new Foxconn ELA motherboard with builtin Realtek ALC 888SDD chipset (8 analog channels-Dolby 7.1). BIOS has no options to enable/disable/automatic the onboard audio and bios version is latest available. The included Foxconn CD is unable to install anything due to Windows 7 64-bit OS I'm running. A polite message is displayed after attempting any installs. Foxconn website has no drivers/applications for Windows 7. I emailed Foxconn support for help since Realtek website states that is the proper route.
    • Proposed as answer by brit0310 Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:40 AM
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 1:20 AM
  • I got my audio working fine with Win 7, 64-bit that initially displayed same message. My motherboard had a RealTek chipset and I google searched for a RealTek "High Definition Audio Driver". I found a download on RealTek's website for this specific driver and installed. I have a Dolby 5.1 system and 6 speaker outputs work fine. The interface is certainly different from before. The status will still show no speakers are plugged in until I physically plug in the speaker. Then a prompt appears for me to select which speaker set was plugged, ie. front, rear, sub. Hope this helps...
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:50 AM
  • I have an Asus P5Q Pro Turbo MB  and had no problems under XP Pro 32 Bit. My Edirol MA-15D speakers worked fine via RCA and S/PDIF connections. Then I did a clean install of Win 7 Pro 64 bit and now neither RCA nor S/PDIF work. Initially, speakers under device manager were shown as being unplugged. I finally got them to show up as being plugged in OK, then I did the test functions, which showed the speakers were working properly, but no sound came out. I could not find a way to enable onboard sound through the bios.I also checked for updated drivers. Does any one from MSFT comment on these forums?
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 6:51 PM
  • I just had the same thing happen to me out of the blue.  I have been running Windows 7 64Bit for about 8 months and had no problems with audio. Today I came home and nothing.  I'm pretty savvy so I started with drivers, then settings. I had installed a new video card with HDMI audio out about 2 weeks ago but no problems until today. I looked at that anyway and found nothing unusual. Finally I was looking at the sound settings and realized it had my rear jack panel set up differently than before. Instead of Mic, Line in, Line out it was set up as if I had a 3.1 sound system.  I have yet to figure out how it got changed and also have not been able to tell it to go back to stereo out, in and mic. I plugged the speakers up in the port for center channel and it recognized it right away. I tested it all, set it up as stereo and I'm back in business.  It's easy to plug it into other ports and you can't damage anything since it's a input to the speakers not a signal going into the pc.  I hope to find out why this even happened.
    Monday, November 01, 2010 9:43 PM
  • what worked for me was to go to my motherboard's driver download page, downloaded Realtek HD Audio manager and even before restarting my audio came back on.
    Friday, January 14, 2011 1:36 PM
  • This is what worked for me.  On startup I hit the del key and got into my system's BIOS, then I went to the advanced tad.  It showed my on-board audio as enabled.  Below this tab I changed my audio to AC97, from surround sound and then saved changes (so audio was enabled and AC97 selected).  Instantly the sound was back and working on both front and back speakers.  I hope this helps. 
    • Edited by shyvonne Monday, September 12, 2011 9:26 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 9:24 PM
  • The real fix for your Creative Sound Blaster/ Realtek Audio device not working after Windows 7 install. 

1. The fix for the NO AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE DETECTED -go to the bios and turn your audio device back on.  The Windows 7 install turned it off.

2. Once you do this reboot your machine and it will detect the Realtek device and install the drivers and the red stop sign will go away. But you will still have no sign and if you look in your device manager you will find a Multimedia Audio Device with an error.

3. If you have the original software that came with your computer then reinstall from the cd the Creative SoundBlaster software or find out what the original SoundBlaster software was that came with your pc and download and install.

This was on my Dell XPS 600, so govern yourself according to your machine.

You will have sound!!!

Sunday, October 23, 2011 2:11 AM
  • If items don't appear in Sound Manager - right click in centre panel and select Show Disabled Devices.

K

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:00 AM