none
USB Joystick Not Working In Windows XP Virtual Machine

Question

• My PC is running Windows 7 Professional, and I have a virtual machine and virtual copy of Windows XP that I downloaded from Microsoft to run on it. The primary reason for doing this was to run older games that don't function correctly (or at all) on newer OS's. The USB joystick I have is an older one that works just fine with Windows 7, but it won't show up at all on the XP virtual machine. It doesn't even appear in the USB dropdown menu at the top of the screen that is used to 'attach' USB hardware. I've attempted to download the Windows XP drivers and install them on the virtual PC, but even that hasn't worked. Is there any way that I can get it to function on the virtual PC?
    Monday, December 3, 2018 9:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Client Hyper-V doesn't provide native support for USB connections. It's actually by design. That may come as a shock, but the fact is that USB support is not available in Hyper-V Server, because it is incompatible with certain key features, such as Live Migration.

As you can imagine, a number of third-party solutions have sprung up to fill the gap. For example, there are software products, such as USB Redirector, and hardware products like the Network-attached USB hubs. However, when it comes to using Windows 8's Client Hyper-V and a Windows XP virtual machine, you don't have to resort to such elaborate or expensive methods of making USB devices accessible to a virtual machine.

Instead, we can employ a little trick that uses the Remote Desktop Connection tool to connect to a networked virtual machine running in Client Hyper-V. You can then use the features on the Local Resources tab of a Remote Desktop Connection to redirect USB devices connected to the host machine, such as USB drives and USB printers, to the virtual machine.

Please try the following article for this detailed implementation. 

Make USB devices accessible to a Windows XP virtual machine

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 4:38 AM
  • You show one of the problems,USB doesn't show the hardware,reason being,one needs to install the XP Chipset software/driver.This allows the OS to use USB/audio/video/etc download from the pc mfg,or from the pc hardware mfg (Intel/AMD/etc).Intel clearly says "Its the 1st install after the OS"...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/1145/Intel-Chipset-Software-Installation-Utility

Maybe the 1st install from Intel would be the  Chipset identification utility,and proceed from that..This all being you run Intel hardware

• Edited by Andrew E. _ Tuesday, December 4, 2018 5:09 AM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2018 5:04 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, December 7, 2018 6:07 AM
  • Hi,

Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back

Best Regards,

Michael

Sunday, December 9, 2018 3:28 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Michael

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 9:58 AM