none
How to split Windows Vista DVD image? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to ask how to split windows vista DVD image into specific size using Windows PE Tools Command Prompt.

Thanks in advanced.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 4:27 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

You can try the following method:

1.   Install UltraISO and Windows AIK.

Windows AIK:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=94bb6e34-d890-4932-81a5-5b50c657de08&DisplayLang=en

2.   Use UltraISO to open the Windows Vista DVD and extract install.wim under the Sources folder to the local hard drive, for example: D:\Vista\sources\install.wim.

3.   Run Windows PE Tools Command Prompt in elevated mode and type the following command:

imagex /split D:\vista\sources\install.wim D:\temp\install.swm 380

Note: D:\vista\sources\install.wim is the name and location of the file which will be split from. D:\temp\install.swm is the name and location of the target file. 380 is each target file size.

Note: Before doing this, make sure partition D has at least 5GB of free disk space.

After that, you will get 6 target files named install.swm, install2.swm, install3.swm, install4.swm, install5.swm and install6.swm in D:\temp.

4.   Use UltraISO to open the Windows Vista DVD. Delete install.wim under the Sources folder and drag install.swm to this folder. Save the whole disk to the local hard drive and we will get CD1.

5.   Open UltraISO and create a new folder named Sources. Drag install2.swm, install3.swm, install4.swm, install5.swm and install6.swm to the Sources folder. Save install2.swm to the local hard drive and we will get CD2. Use the same method to create CD3, CD4, CD5 and CD6.

6.   Burn the iso files to CDs.

The steps above can be a little complex. I recommend obtaining a DVD drive to install Windows Vista.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:42 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

You can try the following method:

1.   Install UltraISO and Windows AIK.

Windows AIK:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=94bb6e34-d890-4932-81a5-5b50c657de08&DisplayLang=en

2.   Use UltraISO to open the Windows Vista DVD and extract install.wim under the Sources folder to the local hard drive, for example: D:\Vista\sources\install.wim.

3.   Run Windows PE Tools Command Prompt in elevated mode and type the following command:

imagex /split D:\vista\sources\install.wim D:\temp\install.swm 380

Note: D:\vista\sources\install.wim is the name and location of the file which will be split from. D:\temp\install.swm is the name and location of the target file. 380 is each target file size.

Note: Before doing this, make sure partition D has at least 5GB of free disk space.

After that, you will get 6 target files named install.swm, install2.swm, install3.swm, install4.swm, install5.swm and install6.swm in D:\temp.

4.   Use UltraISO to open the Windows Vista DVD. Delete install.wim under the Sources folder and drag install.swm to this folder. Save the whole disk to the local hard drive and we will get CD1.

5.   Open UltraISO and create a new folder named Sources. Drag install2.swm, install3.swm, install4.swm, install5.swm and install6.swm to the Sources folder. Save install2.swm to the local hard drive and we will get CD2. Use the same method to create CD3, CD4, CD5 and CD6.

6.   Burn the iso files to CDs.

The steps above can be a little complex. I recommend obtaining a DVD drive to install Windows Vista.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:42 AM
  • Hi Sir,

I was trying your method but i can't understand steps 4 and 5. Can you please post or send me screenshot or video tutorial?

• Edited by Jaypee24 Friday, March 21, 2014 3:51 AM
    Friday, March 21, 2014 3:37 AM
  • hy.. I don´t understand this step:

5.   Open UltraISO and create a new folder named Sources. Drag install2.swm, install3.swm, install4.swm, install5.swm and install6.swm to the Sources folder. Save install2.swm to the local hard drive and we will get CD2. Use the same method to create CD3, CD4, CD5 and CD6.

I save CD1 with install.swm and original folders and booteable files.

Second CD I save similar the CD1 but with CD2 name and Install2.swm but when I insert CD2, WIndows Dont read CD2...

Do you have Images (Photos) about the 5step..?

Monday, March 9, 2015 10:08 PM