none
Where Can I find the Windows XP Mode Product Key?

Question

• The other day I installed windows XP Mode on my Laptop and everything's working fine. But the countdown has begun ti'll Windows XP shuts itself down unless I put in the product key. But here's the thing. When installing Windows XP Mode instead of showing up in Program Files it's showing up in Program Files 86x. I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be that big of a deal but the text file that has my Windows Product Key isn't showing up in it. The file I found is called "Windows Virtual PC" and the only 2 things in it are "Virtual XPVHD" and another file named "Integration Components" which leads to 2 disk image files "IntegrationComponents" and "Precompact"

Am I looking in the wrong place or did it just not install correctly? If it did could you help me uninstall it?

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 6:25 PM

Answers

• If you're using Windows Virtual PC you won't need the key. The key is located in your Windows XP Mode directory, KEY.txt.  As far as I know, it's the same for all XPMode installs: K49H2-RPR94-QBGG4-DBCTM-YT64G.

What virtualization program are you running XP Mode on?

I just tried that key and it doesnt work. I'm using the Windows Ultima 64 Bit if thats what your asking. You seem like you know a lot about this stuff would you mind helping me through this?

Are you trying to run XP Mode in Windows Virtual PC, Virtual PC 2007, VMWare, etc?  XP Mode will not activate correctly under Virtual PC 2007. Did you download everything from here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Or are you using something else to run XP Mode?

Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:12 AM

All replies

• If you're using Windows Virtual PC you won't need the key. The key is located in your Windows XP Mode directory, KEY.txt.  As far as I know, it's the same for all XPMode installs: K49H2-RPR94-QBGG4-DBCTM-YT64G.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:19 PM

I just tried that key and it doesnt work. I'm using the Windows Ultima 64 Bit if thats what your asking. You seem like you know a lot about this stuff would you mind helping me through this?
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:30 AM
  • Hi,

You shouldn't have to activate Windows XP Mode if you are running XP Mode on Windows. This key will be needed if you manually create a differencing disk from the installed VHD or you're using an alternate VM application instead of using the automated setup. Product key is located in the installation folder, default is: C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode under the aptly name file, key.txt.

My suggestion is that using the automated setup when you install XP mode.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:34 AM
  • Hi,

You shouldn't have to activate Windows XP Mode if you are running XP Mode on Windows. This key will be needed if you manually create a differencing disk from the installed VHD or you're using an alternate VM application instead of using the automated setup. Product key is located in the installation folder, default is: C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode under the aptly name file, key.txt.

My suggestion is that using the automated setup when you install XP mode.

Well I didn't download it automatically and that key isn't working. Are there other ways to do this? Maybe I could use other keys or is there a button I can press?
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:03 AM

Are you trying to run XP Mode in Windows Virtual PC, Virtual PC 2007, VMWare, etc?  XP Mode will not activate correctly under Virtual PC 2007. Did you download everything from here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Or are you using something else to run XP Mode?

Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:12 AM