Disk Management - Cannot Extend Volume

Question

• Hi, wonder if anyone can help with this. I'm running Vista Business on a Packard Bell iMedia that has one 300Gb HDD split into various partitions. Although I could partition it when I set it up, I now have a 30Gb C partition that I cannot extend (I'm using the Storage/Disk Management snap-in that's part of Vista's Computer Management module). When I right-click on the drive, the 'Extend Volume' is greyed-out. Next to the C partition is an 8Gb Unallocated section that I can also do nothing with. Any advice, suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks, MannyW  

Sunday, January 13, 2008 10:15 PM

Answers

•  

Hi MannyW,

Thank you for the reply.

Please understand that the partition extending feature only works with contiguous space on the right side of the partition you would like to extend.

Currently, as the 8MB unallocated space is on the right of drive C, I am afraid we cannot expand drive C.

In this case, I suggest moving some non-system files or programs on drive C to other partitions and adjusting paging files to other partitions.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:36 AM

All replies

•  

Hi MannyW,

Thank you for the post.

First please help collect a screenshot of Disk Management:

1.  Click Start, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2.  Maximize the Disk Management window.

3.  Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

4.  Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

5.  In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

6.  The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

7.  Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please send this saved JPEG file to us.

I have created a FTP site and you can upload the files to me from the following the following site:

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/ChooseTransfer.aspx?key=3184b992-093c-479a-aee4-f4a0116cf4bc

Password: a$tHrG$j79[4E%Cw

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:08 AM
  • Hi Tim

Thanks for the response, I've sent the jpeg through, hope this helps.

Just for reference, the K drive is just an external USB drive and is not part of this problem; just included in the screenshot for reference.

Thanks

MannyW

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 10:18 AM
  •  

If, in the context menu, one or more options to Extend, Shrink or Delete the partition are grayed out and thus unavailable, it could be that such a step may be physically not possible. Nevertheless, should you wish to continue, check if  How To Resize A Partition In Vista, if Disk Management fails  helps you.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:09 PM
  •  

Hi MannyW,

Thank you for sending me the screenshot and thanks for HappyAndyK’s sharing.

From the screenshot, I noticed that there is a 8MB (not 8GB) unallocated partition on the right of drive C.

The 8mb buffer is dynamic RAM, and it is an onboard ram cache on the drive that stores info for quicker access. It has nothing to do with the unallocated space.

The unallocated space is actually set aside by Windows when you format an ntfs drive in case you change it to a dynamic drive in the future

Currently, I suggest ignoring the 8MB unallocated partition as it does not affect your normal use of the system.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:17 AM
  • Hi Tim

Sorry about the 8Gb/Mb confusion, but that's not really my problem/issue, it's really to do with not being able to extend the C volume (option is greyed-out). This is a problem as this C volume is almost at max.

Is this (not being able to expand) only because I don't have proper unallocated space to expand into and can I get that by shrinking my volume H?

Thanks

MannyW

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:47 PM
  • Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:08 PM
  •  

Hi MannyW,

Thank you for the reply.

Please understand that the partition extending feature only works with contiguous space on the right side of the partition you would like to extend.

Currently, as the 8MB unallocated space is on the right of drive C, I am afraid we cannot expand drive C.

In this case, I suggest moving some non-system files or programs on drive C to other partitions and adjusting paging files to other partitions.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:36 AM
  • I'm having the same problem with lack of space on my C: drive. After reading all the above information, I think that I will have the same problem with not having contiguous space on the right side of C: to extend the partition. So my question is this. If I don't have a problem with losing the information on my D: partition (i.e. its all replacable and could be erased), could I delete the D: partition allocate all that free space back to C: and then repartition C: so that it is more equally divided?

Thanks!

Monday, March 24, 2008 9:43 AM
  • Hi

My Name is Hamid.this is my question.

what is 8MB unAllocate space in the end of the disk.it's very important to me.i must be knowledge about this 8mb

Best Regards

Sunday, April 27, 2008 9:35 AM
  • Hi

Check Tim's earlier post, I think this should answer your question.

Just for reference, what I ended up doing was the following:

1) Copied all my data files from the Data drive that was to the right of my C drive

2) Deleted the Data partition

3) I could then extend the C partition into the empty space (added an extra 30Gb)

4) Defined a new partition in the new empty space and then copied my data files back in to this new space

This will only work if you can copy / save your data to somewhere else.

Hope this helps

MannyW

Monday, April 28, 2008 4:05 PM
  • hi, 

i have laptop DELL inspiron 1525

In this i have problem in partition, i've done partition but 76MB part left unallocate, right click is also not working. plz help me......

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:56 PM
  • Hi

I wish to extend too but I have a bigger dilemna with my Vista HD because the D: partition to the right of my C: are my program files.  Is it possible for me to just copy or mirror these application files so I can delete that partition to gain back contigous, unallocated space to extend C:   

Thanks

Thursday, August 07, 2008 6:10 AM
  •  

I have a similar problem. My new Gateway laptop came with a 15GB recovery partition. I deleted this volume and attempted to extend but it won't let me. I now have 15GB unallocated partition on the Left and the rest of my C: drive on the right. The word contiguous means adjacent, not adjacent only on the right. I looked up on the MS support site to verify any limitations on "extend partition" and it only mentioned contiguous. Now I lost both the 15GB and the Recovery Partition. At least before it had a purpose ;-)

So does this mean that I cannot extend my partition simply because the unallocated space is on the LEFT???

David C

Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:33 AM
  • Did everyone figure out how to extend their partition?  (I have the same problem. The right-click option to extend partitioon is greyed out.)
    )
    Friday, September 04, 2009 10:02 PM
  • To activate "Extend Volume" option, here is a best way: http://www.extend-partition.com/extend-system-boot-partition.html
    Resize server 2008 by disk management at: How to resize Windows Server 2008 partition?
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 2:29 AM
  • I had a similar problem using Vista 32 bit. I wanted to extend my C: drive volume using space freed by deleting files in the recovery partition but couldn't; apparently this is because extend volume is only possible when unallocated space is to the left of the partition in disk manager.

Paragon Partition Manager (free version) did the job.

Sunday, February 06, 2011 3:49 PM