Windows 10 1607 Enterprise - Taskbar items pinned via LayoutModification.xml and CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection can not be permenantly unpinned RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 1607 Enterprise - Taskbar items pinned via LayoutModification.xml and CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection can not be permanently unpinned. Unpinned items specified in the XML keep returning when logging back in.

Is this the way its supposed to work?

I've created my LayoutModification.xml file using the XML copied directly from MS page: Configure Windows 10 taskbar - J. Decker|Last Updated: 8/4/2016 Section: "Keep default apps and add your own"
    Note: I've also tried this with all other examples on this page with the same results

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <LayoutModificationTemplate
        xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification"
        xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout"
        xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout"
        xmlns:taskbar="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/TaskbarLayout"
        Version="1">
      <CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection>
        <defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>
          <taskbar:TaskbarPinList>
            <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Paint.lnk" />
            <taskbar:UWA AppUserModelID="Microsoft.Reader_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.Reader" />
            <taskbar:DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\Command Prompt.lnk" />
          </taskbar:TaskbarPinList>
        </defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout>
      </CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection>
    </LayoutModificationTemplate>

I then copy the LayoutModifiction.xml to "C:\Mount\Windows\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\LayoutModification.xml"
    Note: That location really translates to "C:\Windows\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\LayoutModification.xml" because I'm copying it to the system during the WinPE phase of OS Deployment before the first boot to Windows as instructed by MS.
    Ref: "Start layout for Windows 10 desktop editions Section: Use classic Windows deployment

All items then show up properly on all new user accounts as expected

I then unpin one or more of the apps specified in the XML like Paint, the Command prompt and they go away immediately

I then log off and back in with the same user and they are back, repined to the taskbar

I can unpin the default apps like IE and File Explorer or any other app I pin to the taskbar later, they go away and don't come back as expected.

I just can't get rid of the items specified in the LayoutModifiction.xml unless I delete the that xml file from that users profile directory  "C:\Windows\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\LayoutModification.xml". But I don't believe this is how it is supposed to work.

I though possibly this was by design but the following MS Article Manage Windows 10 Start and taskbar layout Section: Taskbar options states
    "
    Whether you apply the taskbar configuration to a clean install or an update, users will still be able to:

• Pin additional apps
    • Change the order of pinned apps
    • Unpin any app

"

Any ideas on this would be appreciated

Thank you in advance

• Edited by BranM Saturday, August 6, 2016 5:10 PM clarification of question
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 7:34 PM

Answers

• The Microsoft article has been updated to reflect the fact that this is expected behavior

Configure Windows 10 taskbar

"

IMPORTANT

If you use a provisioning package to configure the taskbar, your configuration will be reapplied each time the explorer.exe process restarts. If your configuration pins an app and the user unpins that app, the user's change will be overwritten the next time the configuration is applied. To apply a taskbar configuration and allow users to make changes that will persist, apply your configuration by using Group Policy.

"

• Marked as answer by BranM Wednesday, August 10, 2016 7:19 PM
    • Edited by BranM Wednesday, August 10, 2016 7:23 PM Edited hyperlink
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 7:19 PM

All replies

• I would agree, because if we wanted them permanently pinned we'd use Group Policy.

If I try to import your LayoutModification.xml with PowerShell Import-StartLayout, I'm getting "...LayoutModificaiton is not valid layout file" as I am with my own.  Dropping it in "C:\Windows\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\LayoutModification.xml" it just seems to get ignored when a new user signs in.

But I'm having the problem with my own as well.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/3a02ca8b-1152-4d67-9733-948ecfa6cb54/windows-10-1607-taskbar-layoutmodificaitonxml-is-not-a-valid-layout-file?forum=win10itprosetup

-Matt

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Friday, August 5, 2016 7:33 PM
  • The Microsoft article has been updated to reflect the fact that this is expected behavior

Configure Windows 10 taskbar

"

IMPORTANT

If you use a provisioning package to configure the taskbar, your configuration will be reapplied each time the explorer.exe process restarts. If your configuration pins an app and the user unpins that app, the user's change will be overwritten the next time the configuration is applied. To apply a taskbar configuration and allow users to make changes that will persist, apply your configuration by using Group Policy.

"

• Marked as answer by BranM Wednesday, August 10, 2016 7:19 PM
    • Edited by BranM Wednesday, August 10, 2016 7:23 PM Edited hyperlink
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 7:19 PM