backups cause hang and/or reboot

• My win7 64bit PC recently began freezing and sometimes rebooting on it's own.  It seems to be consistently reproducable when I run a backup, either using Retrospect or the Windows 7 backup function.  It also seems to occur when I'm backing up a large data set but not it I backup a smaller data set. 

I don't recall any updates to the retrospect software between when it was problem free and when this started.  But I did have windows automatically applying updates prior to the problem started, so quite likely there was a change applied on the OS. 

I also run McAfee security for AV, spam, etc. 

I ran chksdk on the SSD boot drive and made sure it has the latest firmware.  Ran a memtest which showed 100% pass. 

I see a VSS error "Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied'  although this appears to be right after the reboot.

The event that appears to come right before the reboot is:   "The backing-file for the real-time session "WDC.BE95A9B1-DE15-4B78-B923-A12AB70BE951" has reached its maximum size. As a result, new events will not be logged to this session until space becomes available. This error is often caused by starting a trace session in real-time mode without having any real-time consumers"

Any suggestions???

Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:29 AM

• Mike you have several things which need examination

1-Retrospect.  What version?  Is it compatibile wioth win 7

2-Mcaffee.  Again what version?  McAffee is know for instability issues (and BSOD's).  Suggest MSE at least to test

McAfee is a frequent cause of BSOD's.  I would remove and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials AT LEAST TO TEST!

3-SSD.  Do you have the most current firmware?  SSD's with old firmware are "problematic" in win 7

4-Lets run a system file check to verify the OS.

I would also run a system file check to verify and repair the OS files

Run a system file check to verify and repair your system files.

To do this type cmd in search, then right click to run as administrator, then

It may need to be run up to three times before successful
    Let us know the results from the report at the end

Read here for more information

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Team ZigZag

Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:27 AM