none
c windows system32 config systemprofile desktop refers to a location that is unavailable windows 7

Question

• Hello all,

I have that error message and the desktop doesn't load fine, no icons, no background etc, I read some fix about going into the C:/users and delete a blank desktop there (if you see 2 desktops) but I only see one (full of icons and stuff), this issue doesn't happen that often but obviously is annoying when it does, if someone have any idea, I would appreciate that.

tech information(if needed):

• laptop Toshiba Satellite p755
    • Core i7 second edition
    • 8 gigabytes of RAM
    • windows 7 home premium

Thanks

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Right delete the the folders in the C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\

and copy the folders in the C:\Users\user to C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\

if you have more than 1 folder in C:\Users\user that is the same you need to delete the 1 of each that are empty or not as they were before. i hope this helps

love is rock!!!

• Proposed as answer by TK MAHATO Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:02 AM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:02 AM
  • Hi,

I recommend you to temporarily disable all the third party security programs and boot in Clean Boot and Safe Mode to test the issue.

If everything works fine after a clean boot, you can infer that some third party services are causing the problem.

Proceed with the remaining steps to pin-point out the third party service.

In addition, you can create a new user accouter and see if the issue persists.
    If it works in a new user account then you need to fix the corrupt user profile. Visit this link for the steps:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:59 AM
  • I got the same error, but I restarted my computer and everything started working again.
    Monday, August 4, 2014 6:26 PM
  • same here, i rebooted the machine and start working again.

then i had to turf off standby and sleep mode, i think the machine had trouble waking up from standby or sleep mode.

Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:27 PM
  • The Windows Explorer is not letting me access the config folder. I a Admin. so why wont it let me in
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 6:35 PM
  • Proceed with the remaining steps to pin-point out the third party service.

Just to clarify, by the following steps do you mean the link you provided to fix a corrupted user profile, or something else so the 3rd party program can be pinpointed?
    Sunday, June 14, 2015 9:13 PM
  • Hello, I too am having this problem, I have tried to fix this issue with the steps you have provided, e.g, creating the new user, deleting the desktop and such, with no avail my computer remains the same in a safemode state, any help?
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:38 PM
  • Hi,

Though this topic might have been already dead since it's already about 5 years since the original post, I still think it's still better to propose a rather different and much more convenient answer for the other people experiencing the same problem within the current time.

In most cases, the other solutions would've probably worked just fine, but in few peoples cases (Including me), we store a few large files onto our desktop, which when we then try to copy to the 'C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop' folder, eats up a huge chunk of space.

That is to say this guide will show a way to avoid wasting storage space, and makes sure that the 'systemprofile' desktop foder is synchronized with the '%userprofile%' desktop folder.

This doesn't require you to be Tech Savvy, you just need to follow the steps properly.

1. Open the Command Prompt as an Administrator. [Press the 'Windows' Key, type 'cmd', right click the entry that says 'Command Prompt' or 'cmd.exe', then select 'Run as Administrator', then allow the UAC]
    2. Type in exactly as follows, excluding the brackets [cd C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile]
    3. Press the Enter or Return key.
    4. Type in [mklink /d Desktop C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop] where USERNAME is the name of your administrator account
    5. Press the Enter or Return key.
    6. Restart

Following this, your unit should properly boot into your desktop without further problems, synchronize files with your user accounts desktop, and save space.

Hope this helps somebody :)

• Edited by Einjerjar Thursday, April 19, 2018 11:33 PM Edited the spacings xD
    Thursday, April 19, 2018 11:32 PM
  • How to Solve Desktop is unavailable.

Have you try this tutorial? -> https://www.teknolime.us/2018/09/mengatasi-desktop-is-unavailable-di.html

because, i have facing this problem too.

Thursday, September 13, 2018 4:33 AM