none
Error installing Windows 7 SP1 - "Element not found" 0x80070490

Question

• Hi,

I'm getting the same error when trying to install SP1.

Machine is a Toshiba notebook, Windows 7 Pro x64 with all patches except SP1, 4GB RAM, otherwise running fine.

I have tried the system update readiness tool, which installed and ran successfully.

I have tried sfc /scannow

I have tried changing the active boot partition from the 100mb hidden partition to the c: partition (I don't use BitLocker, but this resulted in being unable to boot, so I repaired the startup from a W7 boot CD.

I have tried running the install from Windows Update, from WSUS, and from the standalone installer. Same result each time.

I saw mention by someone in a similar position that a Microsoft technician was able to diagnose the issue from the CBS.log file. In their case it was a broken previous update that had to be manually removed. I'm hoping someone can assist in working out my issue in the same way. I have researched this error extensively and the only other option remaining is a repair installation - but that's not an option here due to the 2 weeks of work to set up the machine with a client's own software running on websphere and Oracle. The developers won't appreciate being told to repeat the work on a freshly-built machine. (And yes, I know it begs the question "why would it take so long to set up" but that one is out of my control).

Any targetted suggestions gratefully received.

Gary

Monday, May 23, 2011 4:38 AM

Answers

• Can you check if the usb.inf in c:\windows\inf folder exists, if it does check its permissions please.

Also get me the setupapi.dev.log file from the same folder.

Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support

USB.inf exists - Permissions are SYSTEM = Full control, Administrators = Full control, Users = Read & execute / Read

Setupapi.dev.log uploaded to SkyDrive:

http://cid-80df164d8198155e.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/setupapi.dev.zip

I searched this file for "0x00000490" and there is a consistent error to usbvideo.inf - does that mean we are getting closer to the root cause?

Thanks.

Gary

SOLVED:

In setupapi.dev.log there were references listing error 0x00000490 (the same reason for SP1 failing). Some more google searches revealed this article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/bfb3e5b5-a3bd-4124-b4d6-7fb437ac7b74/#f1d18bf9-2394-48c3-bdc2-9f79466ff6e5

The solution was to use pnputil from an elevated command prompt:

pnputil - a C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_usbvideo.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16543_none_8a1a2513d42628c3\usbvideo.inf

SP1 then installed correctly.

I think that this particular laptop has been used for company demos and presentations, and hence has been plugged into an external display projector. Perhaps that explains why USBVIDEO drivers have been loaded on this machine but no other similar machines in the same environment?

Thanks to those that have offered help. Thanks to Sumesh P for asking for the right log file and helping me pinpoint the problem.

Gary
    • Marked as answer by Purple IT Wednesday, June 01, 2011 1:04 PM
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 1:04 PM

All replies

• Since I think I have covered all the usual solutions (including the latest v12 of the system update readiness tool, released today), I think this will need a Microsoft technician to help out and analyse the log files. No responses from anyone in 48 hours... anyone from Microsoft watching this thread?

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:20 AM
  • Hi,

Regarding the issue, you could upload the CBS.log (C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) via SkyDrive and post a link here, then I can analyze the problem cause.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:04 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for replying, and apologies for the delay in posting.

CBS.zip (containing CBS.log) can be found here: http://cid-80df164d8198155e.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/CBS.zip

Thanks in advance for your help,

Gary

Gary
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Do you run any 3rd party cleanup tools or anything?  The logs indicate that it can't find *all* of the updates that you have installed on your machine.  This seems like something that the System Update Readiness tool should be able to fix.  Can you upload the logs from that?

Also, can you see C:\windows\winsxs folder?

-Z

Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:02 PM
  • No clean-up tools installed. AV is ESET anti-virus, also installed on every other corporate laptop, desktop and server in the same domain without issues.

SUR tool v10 and v12 both run, same result after each completed. Neither gave any warnings about problems they couldn't fix.

Winsxs folder visible, with an *indicated* size of 11GB, 60,722 files , 14,020 folders.

I have just re-run the SUR tool v12 (downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=914fbc5b-1fba-4bae-a7c3-d2c47c6fcffc&displaylang=en). Logs posted to SkyDrive: http://cid-80df164d8198155e.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/SUR-Logs.zip

I'll await further news. Thanks for investigating.

Gary
    Friday, May 27, 2011 5:49 AM
  • Hi Purple,

Please check if there are the registry key and export it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\SPReview

Also I want to know whether you have tried perform a Clean Boot then run the undate again?

Monday, May 30, 2011 5:54 AM
  • Hi Willy,

No "SPReview" registry key. The closest is a "Pending" key in the same location. Contents of that registry key (in case it is useful):

(Default)   REG_SZ   (value not set)

Identity   REG_SZ   Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514

SessionId   REG_SZ   30153340_415904359

While I haven't performed a true "clean boot", I have stopped all non-Microsoft services, ended non-essential processes and disabled AV scanning before running the SP installer. This essentially achieves the same thing (and ends in the same error) at the same point in the installation).

Thanks for your suggestion though.

Gary
    Monday, May 30, 2011 6:16 AM
  • Hi Purple,

I suggest to you to perform a Clean Boot, then backup the registry key and delete it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Pending

After that, install the SP1 again.

Monday, May 30, 2011 6:31 AM
  • Tried it. Followed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796 for a clean boot. Deleted the registry key. Re-ran SP1 full install.

Same result, same error, at the same point.

I wasn't holding much hope but worth a try.

Gary
    Monday, May 30, 2011 7:28 AM
  • Thanks for posting your CBS.log. Could you post your CheckSUR.log too?

EDIT: Whoops! Just saw you posted them, I'll take a look.

Meanwhile, open Programs and Features in Control Panel, click to View Updates, and search for (and remove) any of these if you find them: KB2507618, KB2485376, KB2506223, KB2479628, KB2511250, KB2534366, KB2522422, KB2506212, KB2484033, KB2487426, KB2488113

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:08 AM
  • Hi Henson,

Isn't that what I posted on 27th May at 5:49am? Or do you mean something else?

http://cid-80df164d8198155e.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/SUR-Logs.zip

Gary

Gary
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:19 AM
  • Do you run any 3rd party cleanup tools or anything?  The logs indicate that it can't find *all* of the updates that you have installed on your machine.  This seems like something that the System Update Readiness tool should be able to fix.  Can you upload the logs from that?

Also, can you see C:\windows\winsxs folder?

-Z

Hi Zac,

Anything further from Microsoft on this? Others are trying to help but we're not making much progress.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:20 AM
  • I would give this a try:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

-Z

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:04 PM
  • 1. Get a Procmon while installing Sp1 

2. get the dump of the Key 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing

Get the following logs:
    %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log
    %windir%\Panther\setupact.log
    %windir%\Panther\setuperr.log (if it exists)
    %windir%\logs\CBS\CBS.log
    %windir%\logs\CBS\CBS.persist (if it exists)
    %windir%\winsxs\poqexec.log (if it exists)
    %windir%\winsxs\pending.xml (if it exists)
    %windir%\winsxs\sessions.xml 

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 4:12 AM
  • 1. Get a Procmon while installing Sp1 

2. get the dump of the Key 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing

Get the following logs:
    %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log
    %windir%\Panther\setupact.log
    %windir%\Panther\setuperr.log (if it exists)
    %windir%\logs\CBS\CBS.log
    %windir%\logs\CBS\CBS.persist (if it exists)
    %windir%\winsxs\poqexec.log (if it exists)
    %windir%\winsxs\pending.xml (if it exists)
    %windir%\winsxs\sessions.xml 

Still no success. I tried the procedure in KB971058 (using the "fixit" automated procedure) and also stopped the crypt32 service to allow the catdb file to be renamed.

Log files attached - if it existed, it is included. I have even included one file that existed but had a file size of 0kb. A couple of the winsxs files didn't exist.

Files can be found here: http://cid-80df164d8198155e.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Post%20Fixit%20Pre-SP1.zip

The files included are from immediately after a failed SP1 attempt.

Re the ProcMon request, I'm not familiar with the tool. I set a trace going before starting SP1 a second time (after the first failure), and directed output to a log file. SP1 failed due to low disk space. On investigation, ProcMon had generated 14GB of trace files. Even if I could get SP1 to run as far as reboot, there's no way I could post >15GB of log files. Did you original request mean to run a ProcMon trace while installing SP1, but restrict it to only looking at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing? If so, how do I do that please?

Also, please note that SP1 runs without a problem up until the reboot. After rebooting, it continues up to a certain %age (more than 10% I think but less than 50%) before stating "Reverting changes". It then reverts for only a few seconds before rebooting again. When I log in, I see the error message.

Thanks for your continued efforts. My client is getting a bit impatient but I have explained that you are looking at it in depth rather than just giving up, and he is keen to get this solved.

I'll await further news.

Gary
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 6:56 AM
  • Can you check if the usb.inf in c:\windows\inf folder exists, if it does check its permissions please.

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 11:18 AM

USB.inf exists - Permissions are SYSTEM = Full control, Administrators = Full control, Users = Read & execute / Read

I searched this file for "0x00000490" and there is a consistent error to usbvideo.inf - does that mean we are getting closer to the root cause?

Thanks.

Gary
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 11:43 AM

Thanks.

Gary

SOLVED:

In setupapi.dev.log there were references listing error 0x00000490 (the same reason for SP1 failing). Some more google searches revealed this article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/bfb3e5b5-a3bd-4124-b4d6-7fb437ac7b74/#f1d18bf9-2394-48c3-bdc2-9f79466ff6e5

The solution was to use pnputil from an elevated command prompt:

pnputil - a C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_usbvideo.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16543_none_8a1a2513d42628c3\usbvideo.inf

SP1 then installed correctly.

I think that this particular laptop has been used for company demos and presentations, and hence has been plugged into an external display projector. Perhaps that explains why USBVIDEO drivers have been loaded on this machine but no other similar machines in the same environment?

Thanks to those that have offered help. Thanks to Sumesh P for asking for the right log file and helping me pinpoint the problem.

Gary
    • Marked as answer by Purple IT Wednesday, June 01, 2011 1:04 PM
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Thanks for confirming resolution!

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 4:27 PM
  • I was trying to apply Win7 SP1 on my father-in-law's laptop and encountered this same error. It is an HP with an AMD CPU running Win7 64-bit. After a bit of searching an a number of retries, I found this set of instructions and it turns the issue on this machine was exactly the same as above and the specified solution also worked for me:

"The solution was to use pnputil from an elevated command prompt:

SP1 then installed correctly."

Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:37 AM
  • Thank you.  I had a machine with this same problem.   usbvideo.inf was in a different folder(x86blahblahblah), but the error was found in the setupapi.dev.log. 

I created a bat file to run pnputil.  Since that usbvideo folder name was so long, I copied the folder name out of the setupapi.dev.log and pasted it in the bat.   I ran a command prompt as administrator, navigated to the folder where I had saved this bat file and ran it.  Thereafter service pack 1 installed perfectly.

Here was my bat.  You could run the CDs in one line but I did it this way in case it barfed on the long folder name.

cd \
    cd windows
    cd winsxs
    cd x86_usbvideo.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16543_none_2dfb89901bc8b78d
    pnputil -a usbvideo.inf

• Edited by Malsua Thursday, October 04, 2012 7:06 PM
    Thursday, October 04, 2012 7:05 PM