How do you dock folders to the side of the desktop like in Windows 2k, XP and Vista? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi, in all versions of windows, Windows 2000, XP & Vista I have been able to dock folders to the side of the desktop. These folder contain my most used applications shortcuts, utilities, folders and documents.

In my case I, always have my taskbar docked to the top of the screen. and at the bottom I have over 50 shortucts in various folders which are docked to the bottom of the screen with the AutoHide/AlwaysOnTop setting. So I can access any program super quick. This has always been much quicker and far far more versatile than any start menu, will be. Also for over 8 years the icons locations and layout have stayed more or less the same.

Does anyone know how to get this functionality back in Windows 7. This is an absolute disaster for me..... I'm already looking at re-installing Vista (and that's saying somthing).

Many Many thanks to anyone who has a positive solution to this.

How do you dock folders to the side of the desktop

N. A.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:06 AM

All replies

• What are you using for your dock?  As far as I know, Windows 2000 and XP do not have docks?  I've used third-part docks which mimic the Mac Dock on my XP machines.

For Windows 7,  you can pin you applications and documents to the taskbar.  Clicking on the pinned application will show you a list of your pinned documents and running documents.  It's pretty cool if you ask me.

Joe
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:25 AM
    Answerer
  • Do you mean making the folder into a toolbar thing? I have been trying to get this to work as well... Will definetly post if i get the answer to it.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:41 AM
  • Gasso said:

Do you mean making the folder into a toolbar thing? I have been trying to get this to work as well... Will definetly post if i get the answer to it.

Drag the folder to the taskbar, and it will be pinned in the Explorer Jump List. You can create a library to your folders as well, i know it is not the same as quick launch bar, but it is close.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:55 AM
  • He's not talking about Quick Launch, though.
    Windows 7 lets you create Quick Launch-style toolbar anyways.

He's talking about undocking a toolbar from the taksbar and attaching it to the side of the screen.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:27 AM
  • Akame-san said:

He's not talking about Quick Launch, though.
    Windows 7 lets you create Quick Launch-style toolbar anyways.

He's talking about undocking a toolbar from the taksbar and attaching it to the side of the screen.

That is what i referred to as a "quick launch bar" as seen here http://www.werewolves.ca/lj/desktop.jpg which i suggested other means of accomplishing similar functionality.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:59 AM
  • I too am very disappointed that Win 7 has dropped the capability to dock a folder to a side of the screen of your choice.  I don't find the new option to dock a window to the side of the screen of much use.  If anyone finds a way to get the docking function back please respond.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Hi, in all versions of windows, Windows 2000, XP & Vista I have been able to dock folders to the side of the desktop. These folder contain my most used applications shortcuts, utilities, folders and documents.

In my case I, always have my taskbar docked to the top of the screen. and at the bottom I have over 50 shortucts in various folders which are docked to the bottom of the screen with the AutoHide/AlwaysOnTop setting. So I can access any program super quick. This has always been much quicker and far far more versatile than any start menu, will be. Also for over 8 years the icons locations and layout have stayed more or less the same.

Does anyone know how to get this functionality back in Windows 7. This is an absolute disaster for me..... I'm already looking at re-installing Vista (and that's saying somthing).

N. A.

Did anyone get a satisfactory response to this question? Removing this feature is a grave mistake and severely degrades usability for those of us whose idea of the ideal desktop is a blank screen.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 6:13 PM

N. A.
    Hi NA

I also miss this feature. I set it up just the opposite of what you described, with the Taskbar on the bottom and my folder toolbar, hidden at the top.

Nobody has found a way to re-enable this feature in Windows 7 yet.

The best workaround I have found is to enable the Quick Launch Toolbar on the Taskbar and set that up with flyout menus for all of my shortcuts.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:33 AM
  • I've been doing some digging, and the best thing I have come up with so far is TrueLaunchBar (www.truelaunchbar.com). This looks like it does just what we want, and it works on Windows 7. It is shareware, and there is a lite freeware version, FreeLaunchBar (www.freelaunchbar.com), which is, as expected, less functional.

I think I have found the solution I was looking for.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:28 PM
  • Thank you, Lou. You comment is dead right. I earnestly miss that feature too.
    a C/C++ programmer
    Friday, January 22, 2010 11:55 AM
  • I recently got a laptop with Windows 7 and am really missing this feature a lot, too... I hope someone will find a way to re-enable/replace it.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 9:40 PM
  • There are a lot of posts here from folks all disappointed with Windows 7 for the removal of toolbar docking and other things.  I have had an evaluation copy of W7 installed for about a week now and all I have found so far is disappointment.  You can pin things to your taskbar and you can create new toolbars but they all end up being crammed into the taskbar.  Why on earth Microsoft should remove a feature as useful as toolbar docking for a very inferior alternative, I really don't understand. 

I have downloaded a freebee named RocketDock, though there are others very like it available also free.  This can be made to behave in a very similar way to a docked toolbar containing your most used icons but not quite the same.

On the disappointment front, there will be more to come.  If you ever decide to try virtually any flavour of Linux, you will find that most apps come with it as part of the distribution.  W7 on the other hand doesn't even come with an e-mail client, you have to download one for yourself.  Oh, and many of the old familiar screens have been tampered with so that it is difficult to find previously familiar things - try Network and Sharing Centre> Manage Network Connections. But it does start up faster.

Why on earth would a company trying to compensate for the disaster that was Windows Vista come up with a Windows 7 product like this?  Maybe I haven't dug deep enough yet.
    JB
    Monday, February 15, 2010 7:07 PM
  • Drew... "Many like myself, find it clear, satisfactory & a pleasing, easy appealing thing to use."...

I notice how tightly you are affiliated with Microsoft in your signature. Clearly, you haven't spent many years of your life developing individual work habits, just to find Microsoft decided you shouldn't work the way you do.

Microsoft has also disabled access to the very folders they told developers to use for program storage a few years ago, paralyzing my application and forcing a frantic compatibility release. Trying to use Windows 7 as a test bed, I can't create folders where I want on my own hard disk nor create toolbars where I want them.

Please drop the patronizing nonsense and realize that people are posting here out of frustration. Something important has been taken away, whether or not you used it. Perhaps you could do something beneficial and talk to your MS Partners to find a way to get back the functionality we depended on.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Hi QixGuy

Every member here has a right to post their own thoughts and opinions.

However, ridiculing another member simply because their opinion differs from your own can only have the effect of lessening your own position.

As a customer and developer, your feedback carries as much weight as anyone's, regardless of their affiliations. 

If you really want your opinion to make a difference, I would recommend that you direct it to the people who actually make these decisions.

Windows 7 feedback - Speak to us at Microsoft

Regards,

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:19 PM
  • Well said, Ronnie.
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 5:19 PM
  • PLEASE, get us back this functionality ASAP as it's awful right now.  This is the most important thing in the last OS from Microsoft
    and they dropped it  what a shame.  GET IT BACK... I will stay with Vista till it's death

Thursday, June 3, 2010 1:43 PM
  • THANK YOU

Thank you to whomever removed the entries (to this thread) that WERE here following after the item from 'Gear World' back on June, 3rd.  There were some items that it is quite pleasing & proper to see gone.

Kudos to someone
    Drew - MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:43 PM
  • So, lots of discussion and over a year later - any resolution to this issue?  Has Microsoft even acknowledged the many users that miss this feature, or beyond that, mentioned a solution or plans to re-include this feature?

If not, can any users recommend a lightweight third-party solution?  I noticed the apps above (TrueLaunch, FreeLaunch) but they are only for creating a quick launch bar, which has little (if anything) to do with the problem at hand - docking a folder full of shortcuts to the desktop, NOT the taskbar. 

And with respect, Drew, your solution just accomplishes the same thing that the FreeLaunch does (if I read your guide correctly). 

Edit: Something I will try later - http://www.winstep.net/nexus.asp.  Seems to be the ticket, may report back if I get positive results.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 4:04 PM
  • I caved in and bought third party - Stardock/ObjectDock

I can't say that I am very happy with it :

• it crashed on me once losing all my settings
    • it has problems with some custom Icons (I have some IconEdit customized icons it will not take)
    • it does not accept different icons for the same program (i.e.: I can have two shortcuts to Outlook with different startup switches to let's say open into contacts or calendar but I cannot have different icons for them)
    • even when it works (as with Word documents for example) when you drag an icon associated shortcut onto the toolbar, the icon is removed and must be readded through the stardock interface that is not very friendly to icons other than its own
    • it has way too many fancy visual nonsense but those can be turned off

....this may not sound as much of an endorsement, but in the end it does the job. If you want to have more than one toolbar on the screen you will have to pay. If you buy the full version you will also be obliged to download their add-ridden 'download manager' pushing games advertising (it can be turned off)

I am yearning for the simplicity of the XP toolbars, but I accepted this as yet another BOHICA moment from Microsoft.
    Go third party, young man! Object dock is the best I was able to find.

The deference you show to the in-crowd on this forum is well advised. Try to disagree (or agree with the wrong people) and you may end up censored. I suspect that the deletions of frustrated inquiries are part of the grand Microsoft design projecting the image of a happy user community with a team of endorsed cheer-leaders.

Let's hope that you will be able to read this before somebody with Drew it.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 5:47 PM
  • I caved in and bought third party - Stardock/ObjectDock

I can't say that I am very happy with it :

it crashed on me once losing all my settings

it has problems with some custom Icons (I have some IconEdit customized icons it will not take)

it does not accept different icons for the same program (i.e.: I can have two shortcuts to Outlook with different startup switches to let's say open into contacts or calendar but I cannot have different icons for them)

even when it works (as with Word documents for example) when you drag an icon associated

it has way too many fancy nonsense but those can be turned off

....this may not sound as much of an endorsement, but in the end it does the job. If you want to have more than one toolbar on the screen you will have to pay. If you buy the full version you will also be obliged to download their add-ridden 'download manager' pushing games advertising (it can be turned off)

Hi Zork

You really do not need a commercial product to get a desktop toolbar. Use your favorite search engine and search for "desktop toolbar". You will get millions of results for mostly free toolbars of every type that you can possibly imagine.

I am yearning for the simplicity of the XP toolbars, but I accepted this as yet another BOHICA moment from Microsoft.
    Go third party, young man! Object dock is the best I was able to find.

The discussion in this thread is not even about toolbars, it's about being able to create a normal folder and dock it to the edge of the screen.

Although the exact reason for deprecating any previous capability may not be readily apparent or understandable for a typical user, there is usually a good reason for the removal. The Windows 7 desktop was completely redesigned from the ground up. The focus seems to be concentrated on the Taskbar, Start Menu, and Themes. It may be that the capability to attach a folder to the edge of the screen caused conflicts that could not be resolved in the code.

The deference you show to the in-crowd on this forum is well advised. Try to disagree (or agree with the wrong people) and you may end up censored. I suspect that the deletions of frustrated inquiries are part of the grand Microsoft design projecting the image of a happy user community with a team of endorsed cheer-leaders.

We do not show deference to any particular members and we absolutely do not censor. To make these forums viable, there must be a defined set of rules that every member must follow. We have a  Community Code of Conduct. The bottom line of those rules is very simply and can be defined in 2 words, Be Nice, period.

A Moderator cannot take any action unless those rules are violated. Moderators, just like any other member must follow specific guidelines.

Let's hope that you will be able to read this before somebody with Drew it.

If you were participating in this thread, from the beginning, you would know that there were posts removed and edited from members on both sides of this debate. The only posts that were removed were those that were abusive to another member. At least one of your posts were removed and the response to those posts were also removed.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 8:36 PM
  • I came across this thread from a Google search, and have to add that probably THE most frustrating thing about Windows 7 is the fact they've removed this capability.  I've had a couple of rows of my often-used program icons across the top of the screen on auto-hide since way back.  Prior to the docking ability for folders, Office 95 and maybe 97 had a shortcut bar, which was eventually abandoned, but through upgrade workarounds we were able to keep it functioning for a while.  No big deal, since the folder shortcut bar worked in a similar fashion.

When I got to the post that gave no useful information, but instead went on about how wonderful Win7 is, and to just sit back and enjoy it, I about gagged.  I do agree that Win7 is a nice system, but that doesn't mean we just dismiss seemingly nonsensical changes.  Does docking a folder present a security threat?  Does it prevent or conflict with some function?  Or was it just left off because the persons on that part of the job were like that cheerleader...they didn't use it, so get rid of it...never mind if someone else is inconvenienced.  What, exactly, did having that capability hurt?

Now I've got to go through this list if third-party possibilities, because after using Win7 for several months, I STILL hate not having my faithful shortcut bar.  No, not an ad-supported toolbar for a special purpose, a simple place to put your shortcuts so they're out of the way but easily accessible.  The docking to the taskbar is nowhere near as useful...first you have to go to it, click on it, then when the list pops up, work your way up to your app and click, instead of just running the mouse to the top and clicking.

Mistakes are made, and I can accept that; but the cheerleading is ridiculous..."just ignore it, smell the roses, and soon you'll forget how convenient it used to be to start your favorite applications."

Anyway, I just wanted to add my two cents' worth...if it doesn't hurt anything, put this simple function back, because a lot of us miss it a lot.

Friday, August 6, 2010 5:01 AM
  • Microsoft give us back the docking folder immediately no wait needed.  We are too much people waiting for that thing to come back.  It's not an option, it's not a request, it's something you have to do right now.

Saturday, August 7, 2010 12:31 AM
  • Go back to Vista if you like this features.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 2:26 PM
  • What a dumb answer.

I assume you're personally offering a full refund to anyone who bought Win7 and goes back to Vista then. 

At least in the old usenet MS forums, you got useful intelligent answers from MVP's and the like...mixed in with Linux zealots and other wackos; now you either get cheerleaders or you get morons who have no answer but answer anyway.

I did find a solution, the Nexus dock, free version is pretty nice, and can fill in for the simple folder docking ability we used for shortcuts in previous Windows versions.

Monday, September 6, 2010 4:12 PM
  • What do you cry? The code is completely removed in Windows 7. So you're unable to use the floating toolbars.

The docks (Dell Dock, Nexus Dock)are not the same.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, September 6, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Another extreme example of microsoft's shortsightedness.  They removed so much functionality from the desktop / explorer interface in order to make "libraries"?  Really?

Now, this is not a feature that I used often, but, when i managed a bunch of servers it was very useful.

Given the "depreciated" features in Win7, I pity the server admins today...

John

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 6:18 PM
  • Hi,

first of all... sorry for my bad english

I've foudn this freeware and open source software:

https://sourceforge.net/p/sevendeskbar/home/

It's able to restore old capability to dock a folder on an edge of the windows desktop and require non installation!

Is an alpha release but work's great!

Best regards

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:01 PM
  • In my Vista machine, I have 24 small application icons in a docked folder/toolbar at the right side (no hide, no labels) and six "utilities" in an autohide bar at the top.

I absolutely ==LIVE== my day to day life using the right side, one-click-to-go app starts .  99% of my computer use is through that bar.  And when I need the utilities, they are right there--I don't have to remember "now where did Windows hide those?"

somebody at Microsoft needs to walk into some senior manager's office and get him/her to add this back to 7.   Now.  Immediately.  You don't even have to publicly apologize for being so stupid.  Just put it back, announce it, and feel good about having marvelously benefited thousands of people. Bring back our docked folder/toolbars.  You made a mistake.  It happens.  Fix it.

Monday, February 28, 2011 5:16 PM
  • I don't know to whom your note is directed but, you need to stop insulting people.
    Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com
    Monday, February 28, 2011 6:27 PM
  • Oh my,  pardon me.  But the real insult was Microsoft's treatment of us-- not in having that treatment documented.

Also, "...put it back, announce it, and feel good about having marvelously benefited thousands of people. Bring back our docked folder/toolbars.  You made a mistake.  It happens.  Fix it."

...seems to be a realistic and non-insulting language.  You must have a very thin skin to think having a mistake pointed out somehow is an egregious insult.

Friday, March 4, 2011 10:47 PM
  • This thread sure has degenerated & it's topic becoming little more than a hazy old memory.
    Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com
    Monday, March 7, 2011 6:11 AM
  • mhuaaaaaaa Windows 7 is my Idea, This person should be killed.  Windows 7 sucks in all ways.  I'm with Vista Ultimate X64 and believe me its a very impressive OS which have what we lost in 7.  I don't understand people saying Vista is bad.  God,  I've been having it since the start and I will not replace it for windows 7 ever on my PC

My Laptop is Windows 7 as it came with it and I don't want to change it but it's a total disaster.  I hate it but I try to live with it.  The Dockable folder for having Toolbars around the screen is a huge MUST HAVE for Windows 7 and actually I would not trade my Vista Ultimate X64 even if Windows 8 comes with a nice 3D shick almost completely nude filling the screen.

Good night

Marcheur extrême...
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 11:44 PM
  • Go say that to people still using Windows XP today,

We don't want to regress, but progress.  Not because you don't use something that others are not using it.  Removing something that more people then you thing was using is not a good idea.

The Windows 7 is something Microsoft made because people asked for but those that asked were all people not using the potential of Vista.
    Now we are back in time, trying to figure out what is a good OS.  To my opinion,  Windows 7 is my idea, well, bad ideas....

Comon....

Marcheur extrême...
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 11:50 PM
  • Hi QixGuy

Every member here has a right to post their own thoughts and opinions.

However, ridiculing another member simply because their opinion differs from your own can only have the effect of lessening your own position.

As a customer and developer, your feedback carries as much weight as anyone's, regardless of their affiliations. 

If you really want your opinion to make a difference, I would recommend that you direct it to the people who actually make these decisions.

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Here's what I sent them :

Get us back our dockable folder so we can make toolbars on top and side of the screen not having all crampped on the taskbar.  This is a very bad idea and we are millions asking to get it back.  What are you waiting for ?

At least an option to get it back.  Do us a favor and put this on your next update.  Youll make more people happy than you can ever thought possible.

Windows 7 is my idea ? Well the responsible which removed this feature should be fired and never have another job until the end if his life.

Marcheur extrême...
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 11:57 PM
  • Unbelivable.  A simple option would have been so simple and to say it was not working in windows 7 and completely rewritten from scratch make me thing the guy or girl to say OK WE DON'T ADD IT AGAIN must feel bad today.  Don't tell me you can't also rewrite this part of code to suit the new OS because this would make like saying, we're not able to do another OS.

Now all my icons are on the task bar and oh my god there's no more place there and it's a mess, which even the combine task is so slow when you have to switch from app to app as to know what is what.  Having a Task bar it is what it means to be TASK BAR for RUNNING TASKS not serving as a toolbar merged with the small area of TASKS.  NON SENCE!

Marcheur extrême...
    • Edited by GearWorld Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:22 PM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:09 AM
  • Drew, may I kindly show you what everybody is talking about...("1st, I must admit, I'm really not sure what folks mean by "detachable toolbars")?

Go to a Vista machine.  Make a folder on the desktop--call it anything you want, maybe 'rightbar.' Put some shortcuts in it to programs (or files/folders) you open everyday.  Now "slam" that folder, using left button drag, against the right window edge.

Bingo, your own personal tool bar--just like a quick launch area, but not taking space on the taskbar.  It is clunky at this point.  Right click and doctor it up: Turn off text.  Turn off title.  Select small icons.  Grab the edge and make it narrow.  Now you can move the icons in it to whatever order you want them to appear.

THAT, is what everybody is talking about and what we want back.  In Vista, this folder for the shortcuts unfortunately HAS TO BE on the desktop.  In XP, it could be anywhere, you could use a shortcut to it on the desktop to create the bar, then delete the shortcut for a clean desktop. That was removed in Vista.  Now in 7, they have totally removed the ability to create the bar.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Thanks.  I pretty much, intuitively, knew what folks meant but, still thanks for your fine description.  Personally, I have never felt a need for this or to create such a thing however, I certainly do accept that it is important to many people.  My only pooint is, I do not feel it is realistic to expect to see it (replaced) in Windows 7 via Updates or otherwise.  It is too late to see such a change or addition to Win7.  Ergo, people should tell Microsoft they want (to see) it in Windows 8.

For me, I'm ok w/ this aspect of W7, as long as I have Quick Launch; I was quite perturbed to discover it not in W7 & equally glad to discover I could replace it.

I'd like to add this...  I have worked w/ the Vista Build Team, Windows 7 Build Team & IE9 Build Team (& more) whilst beta testing these (& other) products for Microsoft.  Microsoft does listen to the people and take heed to their input, feedback, criticisms and wishes.

1 example, in IE9 Beta the arrows w/ single Favorites sites were gone.  We told the Team we were not hapy w/ that @ all and that they should stay/be put back... they agreed and in the RC the arrows are there, again.

Thanks again for your explanation.

Regards,
    Drew

CI for IT 
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:09 PM
  • Put my 30 icons I have in my rightside docked toolbar into quicklaunch on the taskbar and see how much you like it.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:56 PM
  •  

@Gladiator-:

I agree with your posts and understand your frustration with the loss of xp/vista dockable toolbars...

I have yet to find a "perfect" alternative, but i've just recently started experimenting with the program Fabpolli mentioned, SevenDeskBar:

https://sourceforge.net/p/sevendeskbar/home/

It looks the closest to the original dockable toobars but it has it's problems. For starters, it's a bit buggy to set up(the first time you load a toolbar, it "winks" in and out and crashes, but thereafter it loads without error. Also, if you want dockable toolbars left top and right like i do, you need to have 3 seperate instances of the SevenDeskBar folder for each one. when you play around with it, you'll see what i mean.

NOTE: if you are going to load all three--top, right, left--, you MUST load the top one first, or they will not align properly, otherwise, it doesn't matter in which order you load them.

Major shortfall of SevenDeskBar imo is that you can't "rearrange" icons in the toolbar on the fly, even though it has a "rearrange" option. I'm going to write a support ticket for this on the developer's page, and hopefully he can fix and/or tell me what i'm doing wrong.

The plusses though are the toolbars look almost exactly like the ones we miss so much from xp/vista, and unlike ObjectDock, you can snug up icons that are on your desktop right next to the docked toolbars if you want. Also of course, it's free!  Check out a pic:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/438/sevendeskbar0001.jpg

-and-

Edit:

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/9272/sevendeskbar0003.jpg

Here's one where i figured out how to make the toolbars transparent(aero interface), and i use the icons in the lower left to open the toolbars. (still haven't figured out how to load them at startup yet..)

I should also mention, I JUST STARTED playing with this, so i don't know all the ins and outs yet, but this may just be the saivour we are looking for! I haven't restarted yet to see if they come up automatically, or if you have to place each docked toolbar folder (left, right, center) in the startup folder or use some sort of batch file...

From what i've read on the developer's page though, he seems very nice/helpful, and hopefully can help me iron out some of the aformentioned issues...

Again, this is NO REPLACEMENT for the original dockable folder functionality from xp/vista by a long shot, but it's the most promising thing i've found so far..

Cheers!

CT

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:32 PM
  • Yes, I reckoned it was or would be something along those lines.  Can certainly imagine it being considered appealing, handy & convenient.

Push for it in 8, would be my thinking.

Could, maybe, still, modify it into 7 but, I truly doubt it.

Cheers,
    Drew

Unfortunately, on the latest version of Windows 8 that I worked with, the OS didn't seem to have this yet.  Though the functionality could be reactivated, I doubt the folks at MS will do so.  Usually, when the higher-ups, in their "wisdom", decide to drop something from the general design in favor of some fancy new idea, the old idea never returns (think Office menu bar vs. ribbon).  In their zeal to promote their new design idea, they like to prevent users (aka., their "customers") from rejecting it by forcibly removing the users' option to ignore the change and rely on tried-and-true methodology.  Where the Office ribbon was concerned, I had a hard time getting used to it.  I needed a crutch to maintain my productivity while learning the new design.  But MS removed that crutch.  I was no better for it, and I still have difficulty accomplishing many tasks in Office to this day.

A simple .dll here ... a little code reactivation there ... and MS could very easily re-enable toolbar docking in Windows SP2.  Even if MS were to relent with Windows 8 and re-release docking toolbars, we users will have to wait nearly 3 years before the "official" release of Windows 8.  Windows 7 SP2 could be ready in a year, and an even simpler patch (i.e., a Knowledge Base article) could be implemented within weeks.  But I don't expect it.  To put it bluntly, our requests for this feature to be returned WILL fall on deaf ears.  But if enough of us shout in unison, we MIGHT get their attention.

Since Windows 8 is still mostly just Windows 7 drivers and .dlls with a new kernel, its difficult to gauge whether they will accomodate this request in Windows 8.  However, since it relys heavily on Windows 7 functionality, if we (the users) wanted to re-enable this functionality ourselves (I'm not condoning the "hacking" word here), any fix that's implemented in Windows 7 should continue to work in Windows 8, so the "not-condoned" implementation could solve this issue for a long time... just saying...

For the REAL reason that docking toolbars was removed from Windows 7, if I wanted to spread unfounded rumors, I'd suggest that a certain MS contact of mine actually owns dual patents on the MS version of the dockable toolbar and sued MS for additional compensation or remove it from all [then] future versions of Windows (i.e., Windows 7 and beyond).  But that would just be a rumor...

Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:00 PM
  • VERY interesting posts indeed.  But with respect to "...if enough of us shout in unison, we MIGHT get their attention,"  I personally have never found ANY WAY to communicate to the giant, Microsoft, in any meaningful way.  

I would like to try (I would like for millions of us to try) but, sadly, I fear your opinion ("it will fall on deaf ears") is more likely the truth.  In other words, typical Microsoft.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:50 PM
  • This is from an ealier entry of mine in this thread...

I'd like to add this... I have worked w/ the Vista Build Team, Windows 7 Build Team & IE9 Build Team (& more) whilst beta testing these (& other) products for Microsoft. Microsoft does listen to the people and take heed to their input, feedback, criticisms and wishes.

1 example, in IE9 Beta the arrows w/ single Favorites sites were gone. We told the Team we were not hapy w/ that @ all and that they should stay/be put back... they agreed and in the RC the arrows are there, again.

Honestly, you are wrong... feedback DOES matter & MS actually DOES listen.

Recently I encountered a MS Tech Support person who didn't have a clue...gave out incorrect, bad information.  I filed a complaint about him w/ Tech Support Mgt; he w/in a couple days later is no longer w/ the company.

Do speak up, speak out... can't, possibly get results if you don't try.

Cheers,
    Drew 

Saturday, March 26, 2011 2:57 AM
  • Heh, I've just installed windows 7 and I'm facing the same problem. Please bring dockable folders back.
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 3:30 AM
  • Drew,

"Do speak up, speak out... can't, possibly get results if you don't try."

That's great.  How?  Where?  Where do we speak that they will listen?

Saturday, March 26, 2011 2:55 PM
  • Thanks.  I will try those.  And I encourage everyone who is desiring to have dockable toolbars in  Windows 7 to do so also.
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 2:18 AM
  • AMEN - You hit it on the head.

We don't want a 3rd party app (ie a potential security threat), to replace what has been native to windows until windows 7. To those of us who have adapted to the use of docking multiple toolbars for different purposes, losing the ability is like losing a limb.

IT'S ALL ABOUT EFFICIENCY.

If Windows is touting 7 as the most SECURE WIN OS, HOW IS HAVING MULTIPLE TOOLBARS AVAILABLE A PLAUSIBLE SECURITY THREAT? (As quoted by a different numb poster)

There is no inherent threat by applying the same FUNCTION OF TOOLBARS in MULTIPLE LOCATIONS?

This is indicative that Windows 7 SECURITY is a fluke. They would if they could, but there are too many holes in 7.

I like 7 for the most part, however at this point I cannot have faith. 7 seems suspect.

I thought my days of playing Windows SECURITY Guard were over when I purchased Windows 7.

I will guard my system with much more vigilance.

Saturday, April 23, 2011 4:41 AM
  • I may be just a blind IT Pro but, it escapes me how the lack of detachable toolbars leads to bashing Windows 7 strength & level of security...
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 6:11 AM
  • I set up my new PC today, first time with Windows 7. My old desktop is XP, my laptop is Vista. I use the docking folder facility on both, and have been doing so since whenever it has been a Windows feature (15 years?). The final transfer from my old PC was my docking folder. When it wouldn't work I went hunting for an answer and am DEVASTATED to read here that is is not part of Windows 7. There is no excuse for leaving it out, no possible security considerations, just MS arrogance IMHO :)  BTW I still use MS Office XP Pro, i hated Office 2007 and uninstalled it PDQ - I just loveD the way MS decided you had to learn a new way to work for no good reason. I've been using PCs since 1984 with DOS 1.? so I've been through all the changes, good and bad, and progress does not always benefit the punter who pays the bills.

MICROSOFT, PLEASE BRING BACK the FOLDER DOCKING FEATURE.

thank you!

Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:38 PM
  • Hi Drew,

I too am very disappointed in the lack of being able to dock a folder as a toolbar.

This is an extremely timesaving feature. In my work environment, our division has a shared folder on a server. To get to my folders I have to go through 10 levels of subfolders - plus I have an additional 20 subfolders pertinent to my world. These folders are shared with my assistants. 

2 of my 20 folders I need to access quickly. I had my "departmental folder" docked as well as the 2 subfolders that I need to access quickly - so when the boss wants and immediate answer, I could give it to them.

These are routine folders that I work with. In addition, depending on how many projects I have going on, I generally have 100 or so folders on my harddrive. Folder organization and being able to find critical files fast (2 clicks vs search) are key to efficiency in my organization.

Lack of this function makes me want to give back my Windows 7 computer in exchange an XP or Vista with this functionality.

I will report this MS, as well. Thanks.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 12:30 AM
  • The closest thing for Windows 7 dockable bar à la Vista or XP is

http://sourceforge.net/p/sevendeskbar/home/

It is not well documented, and is a bit difficult to figure out how to get it going at first, but when you do, you do get a bar that looks and functions almost exactly like the one Microsoft took away from us.

TO create two bars with it, you have to run two separate installations in different folders, but that is doable too.  For it to establish during a boot, you have to make a startup item for it.  But you can end up with a working one after some initial work.

Send my 'thanks' to Microsoft for this major screw up will you?

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 12:49 AM
  • Suzy,

I may have a solution for you (et al) IF, you will, maybe, find it appealing.  Actually sort of 2 ideas...

1.  You can place (Pin) folders on the Taskbar.  I'm not sure how much of an improvement this is over having things just on the Desktop but, anyway...

2. IF, one has put Quick Launch back on to Windows 7 then, folders can be place there.  Doesn't clutter up the Taskbar & it does give quick (1-click) easy, handy access.

IF, you do not know how to put Quick Launch into Windows 7, I'd be glad to tell you.  It's very easy.

Various things can be put on the Taskbar or in Quick Launch to facilitate & expidite the user experience.

just trying to think of helpful alternatives.  Would not want this to sway someone into going back from 7 to an overall, lesser or less desirable OS.

PS: And, no, I'm not suggesting this is an exact substitue, @ all, for what you had in previous Operating Systems.

Cheers,

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 12:51 AM
  • Drew, I recognize that what you are offering are the =only= solutions available in Windows 7, but for anyone who has used the dockable toolbar in previous Windows OS's, the 'solution' (your word) we are left with is NOT 'appealing' (your word).

The simple fact is:  Microsoft removed a highly functional capability from the OS. Period. Undeniable.  All that is left to be offered is to use the techniques that do exist, but which do not provide what people are trying to achieve, or go to a 3rd party program. 

And what is left?  I have 30 immediately, one-click accessible programs in my Vista right side docked bar. Put them in the quick Launch area?  Ha... runs out of room.  Put them in the taskbar?  Obviously unworkable.  There is no adequate replacement capability for what was removed.  Period. Undeniable.   Sorry, but Microsoft took that away from us in Windows 7.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 1:38 AM
  • My solution to the Office 2007 fiasco was to abandon office after all these years and go to Open Office since I had to start at the bottom of the learning curve I figured it was time to use a package where the developer's have a clue.
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 4:21 AM
  • Yes, desktop-edge-dockable shortcut-folders (aka toolbars) are a great time-saver, and should have been retained.

But wait. Taken with another factor, all is far from lost. Here's my recipe.

First, the other factor: Menus (for left-to-right, top-to-bottom readers) belong reading from the top left, just like on your common-or-garden-variety window, so move the start button / globe there by putting the taskbar on the left. Left, not top, as this turns the taskbar into a handy tasklist, rather than a slinky ribbon.

Next, auto-hide it and adjust it to never combinbuttons or combine when the taskbar is full. Now widen the taskbar as much as you like, so you can read the buttons. Optionally, to streamline it further. unpin Microsoft's Media Player and IE offerings. Now it reads like a tidy shopping-list (of open windows).

OK, we're ready. Make a folder of your choice with shortcuts nested in subfolders. and add this folder to your taskbar via right-click -> toolbars -> new toolbar... -> [browse]. It will appear at the bottom, after the tasklist and before the tray. You could use QuickLaunch, but I suggest you make your own folder (I like "W:\$support\go"), so you retain control: It will survive a system rebuild and can be shared.

Now Use the "grab-handle" above your custom toolbar to drag it the very top of the taskbar, above the tasklist, set it (via right-click on the grab-handle) to View small icons, show title and NOT show text. Make sure the tasklist is immediately after your custom toolbar and you'll see a "double-v drop-down" symbol after your toolbar. Clicking the drop-down now reveals your nested subfolder menu tree.

Bingo! You're in! Your own custom start menu. And with a bonus: You can have several folders pinned here, not limited to 3, as with the vacant desktop-edges!

It seems like a pain, but I've grown accustomed to lugging mine around since Windows 95. While you're at it, you can add standard toolbars Address and Desktop, which branches neatly to Computer, Network, Documents, etc., each expanding neatly into subfolders (Your desktop is clutter-free, right?). I like to keep these "data-centric" toolbars at the end, near the tray.

Just one PS:If dragging a toolbar all the way along the taskbar is a pain, try double-clicking repeatedly on the "grab-handle".

Friday, July 1, 2011 12:36 AM
  • Look at the contortions to get there! And when you finish, you have a multiple click get-to-them-to-launch that I do with one click on icons constantly, instantly visible. They are in my Vista right-side bar that lets me start 33 things with one click. I also have a folder on that bar holding 10 other lesser used things--that is similar to what you are saying, but mine is always visible on the narrow width right-side toolbar. It's like the difference in having your working materials out on your desktop (pun intended) right in front of you versus in a filing cabinet you have to go open every time you need something.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 1:16 AM
  • I'm clicking the "like" button to your response.  I'm disappointed too.  I just got Windows 7 like 1 hour ago and I'm ready to trash it.   I can NOT dock folders to the side of my screen anymore. What the heck!!!!  I DO NOT want all my icons crammed on my task bar.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 10:38 PM
  • Your lament is same as we all have been talking about--but the insane, inexplicable Microsoft destruction of this capability is complete.

Read through this whole thread for the full picture. There is essentially no hope Microsoft will fix this in Windows 7.

The program at http://sourceforge.net/p/sevendeskbar/home/ is the only one that gives you a similar looking docked bar. It is quite clunky, and it is not easy to manipulate the shortcuts you put into it. But it does give you the same looking bar and works OK if you do not add/delete/change/move-around what is on it very much.

Friday, August 5, 2011 11:13 PM
  • 1st of all, this is just merely an opinion not, an arguement.

One might suggest & others might consider moving on from this issue rather than getting mired or irate by it or treating it as a 'make or break' item in regard to Windows 7.  Yes, Win 7 is built & here to stay, as is, @ least until Windows 8 surfaces.  Tell Microsoft you want this back in Windows 8.  In the meantime, maybe accept that Windows 7 suprecedes & surpasses previous Microsoft OSes in general for quality, security & functionality.  Overall Win 7 is very good for many reasons & on many levels.  Maybe try to learn it, adapt to it, possibly even try to enjoy it & appreciate the 'big picture' instead of losing sight of any & all positives due to seeing or letting this 1 negative (you may invision) as ruining the entire potentially good & pleasant computing experience & envirnment Windows 7 can be, if you let it.

Please don't bother bashing me for the above comment... it's only MY humble thought on how one could look @ things.

" I DO NOT want all my icons crammed on my task bar."

The irony is I, personally, have come to like & appreciate Win7 more than I ever did Vista or XP and as much busy time as I spend on my machines & working w/ clients & giving client support MY Taskbar is not crammed w/ icons AT ALL... has very few, as a matter of fact & even those only whilst I need them in terms of handy & or timely convenience... again, I'll add that I do have a fair bit of stuff in Quick Launch & NO desktop icons.  And, yes, I have become very content using Windows 7... but, alas, each to their own; many things in life are subjective. 
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 6:11 AM
  • Drew, you have made it clear that you love Windows 7 and have adapted easily to the loss of the docked toolbar, maybe even to the point of liking the new way better. You seem to not be able to adapt to the fact that there are thousands (millions?) of us who also continue to use Windows 7 and have not adapted to the forced change.

We HATE the loss of docked toolbars, and no amount of 'try it, you will like it,' or 'get used to it--that's just the way it is' will change the facts.

Fact: It was an immensely useful facility for MANY people (is that not obvious now?). Fact: Microsoft took it away.

You seem to say we get to complain once, then want us to shut up about it. Personally, I believe there is value in keeping it on the table. If the issue disappears from the airwaves, I believe that reduces the chance of Microsoft remembering to put it back in. I also think there is value in constantly reminding Microsoft that customers have voices too.

I do not just pop in here to complain. I =do= sometimes respond to people who wind up here to point out the sevendesk alternative (most apparently don't read the whole thread first). If you want me to stop trying to help people, you will just have to kill my account.

Saturday, August 6, 2011 12:09 PM
  • Microsoft should do some research and find out the extent of the impact on users before ditching a feature like this one.  

Perhaps they will consider more carefully in the future before disposing of valued features if there is an outcry in response, although this does not appear to be the case. 

Microsoft knows that Apple and Linux aren't really viable alternatives for most of us, and there are no real choices yet, but I hope that Microsoft is not completely oblivious to the complaints of its users.

I would also like to mention that this is not an isolated case.  I have encountered many instances of features being dropped in new versions of various products. 

bill

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:19 PM
  • Several posters mentioned Nexus.  I tried the free version and like it so far.  In order to get it to work like the old dockable quicklaunch, you need to turn off nearly all the bells & whistles, and turn on a few options that are off by default. 

With less than 5 minutes of tweaking I've got some thing that looks pretty @$%& good. Looks like I've found my solution.

http://www.winstep.net/nexus.asp

Rant: ON

Interesting that this thread is so old.  I just received a new laptop from work with Win7 on it.  The dockable QL toolbar was the first thing I tried to change.  Still have XPPro at home.  I agree with most that M$ too often removes useful, working solutions in favor of new "features".  I use Quick Launch docked to the left side.  Mixing the shortcuts with the open programs is just plain weird.  And I absolutely hate the Office ribbon.  Would have stuck with Office XP if I had known.  I added MS's own "Search Command" add-on to Office 10 (apparently even ms employees can't find the menu items they need!, since they created this add-in), and "Classic Menu 2010" and now at least a few of my most-often-used menu items are where I can find them.  I too, have thought about the switch to Open Office.  At least that is probably a workable solution in the Windoze OS.  Unfortunately, a switch to Linux, etc, or Apple is not a solution when easy compatibility with work computers is a must, and when my laptop/work desktop is company owned.

Rant: OFF

Anyway, try Winstep Nexus.  It seems to combine the best of the old and the new.

Sunday, September 4, 2011 4:53 AM
  • It is NOT "OK once you become accustomed." If that were true, the complaints about ribbon in Office vs. menus would have subsided. And programs to inject the old style would have faded. They haven't. No. Failed designs are just that. MS can force us to use them (just like the no docking toolbar issue)--but they cannot make us "get accustomed to it."
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 11:56 PM
  • And if MS does indeed put ribbons into Windows 8 without retaining an alternative to set the old interface, it will be another major FAIL.
    Monday, September 5, 2011 3:06 PM
  • The real issue is their propensity to REMOVE the current (old) methods and FORCE their new way on people, refusing to leave them as options for user to choose. Hard drives are BIG now...invoke one dll vs. another. It is their "we know everything--we know what you should have" attitude that is ever so bothersome, when it is not necessary.
    Monday, September 5, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Thanks for clarifying things & pointing things out to folks.
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 4:09 AM
  • I'm not sure they think they know everything, but I DO think Microsoft believes that supporting all kinds of different options is expensive and difficult for them.  Expensive they should take in stride - after all they're filthy rich - but difficult translates to things that never work quite right.

That said, and assuming they're going to make changes, every UI change should be done so that the "old way" is maintained as a configurable option for one version at least, and accompanied by a one-time pop-up message that says something like "We're offering you the ability to continue to use this method for a limited time, but you should start to migrate to the new way soon, as the option is going to go away in a future version of Windows".  This is actually what they did with the Classic Start Menu, except that they never warned that it was going to go away.

-Noel

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:06 PM
  • Also, Noel, as new things surface (sometimes replacing the old) & methodology & technology evolve & emerge it simply comes down to Microsoft (not unique here) can't please everyone all the time AND human nature often has a tough time w/ change... sometimes change is improvement, sometimes not... many times depends who you ask.

In truth MS does more 'research' or 'listening' to what people want, like or not, than people are aware.  They cater to the majority, not themselves.  Is, for example, Ribbon Technology liked by most, especially in business?  Actually, yes.

Does MS do User Surveys & involve folks in building/designing new products?  Actually, yes.

Considering the millions that have been part of Beta Testing various products (Vista, Windows 7, IE9, SP1 for Win7 & many, many more) ppl, End User are having, do have an impact, opinion & contribution to the final offerings.  I have been part of these things & seen feedback from countless participants AND the changes in a particular item that have resulted from our input... things MS added, removed, kept or changed because we (or enough 'we') gave certain feedback, criticism or requests. 

Soon the same will transpire w/ or for Windows 8

Regards,
    Drew
    Computer Issues
    Clients Welcome
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:53 PM
  • Oh, I agree.  Often in online communities the vocal minority actually thinks they're the majority ("See all the complaints from everyone about blah blah?  No one likes it!").

-Noel

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Yes, indeed, & unabashedly, gloriously & thankfully enough, they (it would seem) speak for 'everyone', too.  Quite helpful & kind, that is.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 10:45 PM
  • I couldn't get the sevendeskbar to work.  But i did find this free alternative that does a great job of duplicating the dockable toolbars. 

The only hitch is that it will only let you dock toolbars to sides of the primary monitor on a multi-monitor system.  

It's called Coolbarz.

You can download it from [http://www.bryntyounce.com/coolbarz.htm

Enjoy!

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:32 PM
  • Thanks NA for bringing up this discussion. i have spent the last 2 days attempting to replace the trio of toolbars that i had in xp, and every one of the replacement items has one issue or another.
    an interesting one was the gizmo toolbar.
    i am still reaching for the toolbars that i dont have set back up in win7, i think i have programmed my self in permanance :-)

I had EVERY setup item, every program that i use and every disk item (plus removables , virtuals and "my comp") all around my screen
    it was more than 150 items, and all organised by seperators , actually is ~30 "toolbars" , and i USED these programs. i do not just use a paint program and a word processor and a browser. there are Many things a MS computer is capable of doing.

1) it "expands" my desktop space virtually, to 1/4 1/3 more virtual size. auto hide on all 4 sides when including the usefull taskbar.

2) they worked with One click, one swing of the input device and ONE click , and boom.  because with a geek it is not usable to set for single click for the rest of the computer, this was a perfect place for the one click items. Many other methods range from 2 clicks to 7 clicks, especially in windows 7 :-)  hey mabey that is where it gets its name.

3) they were pretty easy to organise, not only could you folder drop shorts, but drag and drop, and drag to organise

4) it used side Bump, with a very small parameter for the edge, this is usefull to keep from selecting it accidentally.

5) it is not so much that i couldnt pile this stuff all over the destop, it is that i USE many programs , there is possibly 5% of my desktop showing at any one time , and on average more than 10 windows open at once ,  hey with non-multithreaded programs and multi-core processors what ELSE would it be like to really USE the computer? 

6) autohiding toobars and taskbars and sidebars even are great, there when you need them, not when you dont. i hope MS didnt have to borrow that one from Apple :-)  because it has been great.  With my configurations, the menu could have dissapeared for a week, and i would not have even noticed it.

7) honestally cute is fun, and pretty and frilly and pastel and 3d and cute pictures and reflections are fun then it is time to get down to work, so Functionally operational without fault or failure is better than any frilly butterflies and flowers :-)    Right now i would take back the RAW toolbars over the cute options out there for change, but to each thier own. 

I could continue, but everyone begging here for the return of it, KNOWS.  It seems like such a simple thing, and yet sooooo usefull for those of us that really use the computer a lot, and probably were talking about the same people who HELP OTHERS through some problems they can have with the computer.  What value do those people have to microsoft other than being some of the users?? <--- yes you know.

So I finish with

9) It did NOT have to be 100% integrated into the explorer , if that helps.  in fact a few times that was a disadvantage , If they choose to make it a seperate operational program, preferably programed tight , instead of being in HTML or NET programming, and it was simple and WORKED correct with both Aero and Classic , and doesnt have some of the bugs and problems, then that would be wonderfull.
    I cannot think of a better group of people who could manage to get the docking toolbar functioning correct with the complex w7 interface than the people who created that interface, especially if they dont releace the code.

I hope the disscussion continues, and i hope that i find an adequite replacment (they all have some minor issue).

Again thinks for bringing this up, it is a Very important feature for Many people, and they could be people that count.  

• Edited by psycogeec Friday, September 9, 2011 5:39 AM
    Friday, September 9, 2011 5:25 AM
  • You have described very well the situation...a HIGHLY useful function, used by many but not all, has been removed. For those of us who DID use it, the lack of it forces us to COMPLETELY change how we work with the machine--and the alternate methods of working are not nearly as quick and easily accessible nor do they provide the most helpful "random access" visibility to the items. We HATE the removal of it. We want it back. Probably won't get it due to MS's obstinance. And that is, unfortunately, that. Some say we should just take it laying down, shut up, and learn a new way of doing things. Sorry. You will not take my voice away.
    Friday, September 9, 2011 2:25 PM
  • And some say tell Microsoft how you feel!  Make your voice heard where, how & to whom it will or may do the most good.
    Friday, September 9, 2011 4:25 PM
  • For those of us who DID use it ... We HATE the removal of it.

Thank you for qualifying your statements.

The important thing here, I think, is that Microsoft sets a certain course with each new UI feature they provide - for example dockable toolbars.  Some people choose to take advantage of the feature and invest a good bit of their time in getting very, very good at using it.  Becoming adept at something can be very pleasing.

The problem comes when Microsoft doesn't stay the course, but instead just tosses up a brick wall and simply drops the feature.  Suddenly your investment in time and effort is not only lost, but you must invest more time and effort into learning how to do what you already did well in a completely different way.

The analogy is similar to a musician who has become a virtuoso with a particular instrument, only to find that once it's worn out he or she simply cannot get another one, and instead must try to pick up another entirely different instrument and try to get good at it.  They may well have the talent to do so, but that person may have been planning a new album and they certainly can't publish now while they're struggling to even make a decent sound with their new instrument.

What I want to know is why Microsoft, when they set these courses, can't maintain the UI features across multiple versions, then when/if they do decide to deprecate something, keep it for one or two more versions - making it configurable but not the default.  Then when you configure it they would put up a message that says, "We're going to remove this feature in a future version, so you might want to start thinking about doing things a different way; here are links to resources to help you with that..."

The notification of the course change - "what we're going to do in the future is..." part - is what's missing.

-Noel

Friday, September 9, 2011 5:13 PM
  • I've heard RocketDock is a good 3rd-party replacement, but it DOES NOT work for x64 edition, which is sad. =(

I'm probably gonna stick with Sevendeskbar (described in detail above) till if/when dockable toolbars are returned.

Friday, September 9, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Drew, unfortunately Microsoft doesn't exactly make direct feedback channels particularly easy to find.

And it's pretty clear at least some people from Microsoft do read these forums. 

I don't think this is a bad place for people to leave their thoughts.  They just need to understand that they're individual voices from a base of hundreds of millions of users.  Microsoft is incapable of offering personal service to people on that scale.  But this just underscores the fact that they need to be very mindful about what they force people to do - or not do.  Their choices affect an awfully big crowd of folks!

-Noel

Friday, September 9, 2011 6:47 PM
  • I am using sevendeskbar on the right side always open with 30 icons in it, and a NEXUS bar always open at the top with 17 icons. Neither is as good as the original docking toolbars.

sevendeskbar is a bit shaky; I mean when you need to "do something" to it, it can go crazy. And arranging icons in it is not an immediate just drag and drop--you have to turn on a rearrangement mode, hold Alt to drag, then turn it back off; and if you position the drop point a bit off, it drops it one icon away from where you are rather than at the spot you are. It is just "touchy", but it does give a bar that is closest in appearance to what used to be available in windows.

Nexus is pretty good, but you must experiment A LOT in the preferences to get it to look and perform like you want. Still, not bad. It does not have the "tray" look of previous toolbars or sevendeskbar. There are skins that give it a background, but I have not found one to make it look like that.

• Edited by gladiator- Friday, September 9, 2011 7:04 PM
    Friday, September 9, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Yes, Noel, 'lines of communication' do exist but, maybe not all that obvious sometimes.  & HERE, certainly does get some notice.  There are indeed other good ways & means/places to express things to MS.

I agree & have been trying to speak to the same concepts, that catering to the masses is hard to do BUT, OSs are indeed build for many millions of Users.  When some from that LARGE group find an issue shared in common w/ some others, that issue to them feels like it should get huge attention... not just the docking toolbars thing but, anything... in the process one may lose sight of the 'big (global) picture'.  This doesn't trivialize the issue or anyone's feelings about it.  Perspective can have a lot of bearing.

There are a few interesting 'work arounds' various ppl have offered in this thread, that some others may find worth trying.  It's cool this forum exists to exchange & divulge what may be helpful, enlightening ideas.

I'm sure we'll hear similar topics of what should or should not have been, all over again, compared to some prior OS when Windows 8 surfaces... & no matter what good efforts went into any new or next OS... there will always be some to whom MS are all deaf, uncaring, uninterested idiots.

All I've been trying to say is after working w/ MS for a few years, founding an IT Pro User Group, working w/ 2 OS Build Teams & seeing the activities between myself & others w/ MS via Connect and various other things, I don't see MS as running w/ blinders on or thier heads stuck in the sand.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Friday, September 9, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Here is another. http://forum.tordex.com/index.php (thier forum for it, so you can find out real user info)
    "true Launch bar"  < for loose toolbar items autohidden , you run it as a "standalone"
    Costs money :-(  the freetoolbar is not even worth testing on W7, but the Trial of the main one is.

unlike some others it has certian sorting ability i will try and relay

----------

@ # $ <the icons in between these seperators stay between these seperators, and can be multiple shortcuts

----------

& % @ # ()  <--- the icons can be dragged and droped, and also I managed to get them to use a folder (not virtual)

-----------
    this is very much like the original toolbar , unlike how some other toolbars did not allow for the 4-5 in a row shorts, AND moving and sizing and

|@ # $|
    |% @ &| <-- the wall or sizing of the whole bar , can size the whole thing with normal window size methods , and sorting and seperations remain in place

|@ # $ % @ &| <--- anyone who had multiples between seperators know what i am talking about.

Many of the things i was used to with my hundreds of items are possible to keep properly organised in many changable situations.

The unhide edge can be set for 0 or anything else, and it actually is Bump edge, some others opened up when way far from the edge, even after piddling with it trying to force it that way. I was able to make a perfect edge for the right side of monitor 1 (you know the split between monitors)

Works with both areo and classic , with it screwing up in areo just like the others, the border fails to Slide properly with the base of the toolbar , reducing the slide time (jump out) "fixes" or hides this problem. this problem is very similar to 2 other toolbars tested, and 2 i read about.

Has "sidebar" stuff possible for it too, making it way more complicated.
    if i ignore all the sidebar plugs, and do little to no customisations, it works most similar to a original including proper corner overlapping, whole bar size and being very raw if one does not change anything.

This is important to anyone who ran the toolbars as i did.  I do like being able to colorize and iconify, but without some of the original features of the original toolbar i could never get my Sanity back :-)

• Edited by psycogeec Saturday, September 10, 2011 9:19 PM
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 9:07 PM
  • I too was extremely... unhappy... to find out that Microsoft removed this functionality. It's really a show stopper for me, but I have to use Win7 at work now, so I went ahead and wrote my own docking toolbar. It's a left-side, auto-hiding docked toolbar. It allows you to drag and drop files or shortcuts on the toolbar, very similar to the old toolbars. I tried to keep the look and feel as close as I could get it to the original.

It's not customizable very much (because I just wrote it for what I need), but anyone is free to use it if they happen to also prefer a left-side, auto-hiding, single column width docked toolbar. Maybe if I get a lot of interest I'll add features (like choosing where it can dock and resizing it and what not).

It's called the SIMS Toolbar, which either refers to the fact that it "SIMulateS" the old XP toolbar, or it stands for "Suck It, MicroSoft!".... You decide. :^D

http://www.musicalnerdery.com/files/soft/SIMSToolsSetup.zip

WATYF
    • Edited by WATYF Friday, September 16, 2011 5:01 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:57 PM
  • How wonderful that you undertook this--absolutely wonderful.

If you do not have the time to develop it into a full mimic, would you consider making it open source on one of the opensource sites, and maybe someone else could fork it into a full replacement?

I would suggest that it ultimately...

-should be dockable left, right, or top

-width adjustable

-that multiple folders/toolbars could be set

-autohide or not

-icon text or not

-title or not

-different size icons (I like small, no text, no title, hover shows name)

-icons can be dragged to user-desired order (critical)

-shortcuts can be dragged onto the bar (not critical)

This is wonderful news.

• Edited by gladiator- Friday, September 16, 2011 5:39 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:37 PM
  • WATYF,

Why don't you make it an APP for/in Windows 8?  Devs can easily make wonderful Metro style apps w/in, on & for Windows 8.

You can download the Windows 8 Developer Preview WITH TOOLS that provide said ability.

Check out the following to learn to what I refer

http://www.buildwindows.com/

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home/
    • Edited by Drew1903 Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:24 AM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:24 AM
  • WATYF,

Why don't you make it an APP for/in Windows 8?  Devs can easily make wonderful Metro style apps w/in, on & for Windows 8.

You can download the Windows 8 Developer Preview WITH TOOLS that provide said ability.

Check out the following to learn to what I refer

http://www.buildwindows.com/

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home/

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion, but I would rather stab myself in the eye with a hot poker than use Windows 8. :^D

WATYF

Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion, but I would rather stab myself in the eye with a hot poker than use Windows 8. :^D

Oh come on, it's not THAT bad, and sooner or later you're going to have to face the fact that it's going to be released.  And if you were to provide good feedback to Microsoft now, it might even be better when it DOES release.  That's the approach I'm taking.

-Noel

Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:29 PM
  • The back and forth is interesting.

One thing that occurs to me (regarding "provide good feedback to Microsoft") is that if it were effective to do that, we wouldn't even have this thread.

And others have pointed out that Microsoft does not make that easy to do (I would even say, makes it nearly impossible).

I would appreciate it if above is wrong, that you post the links to where one reports bugs, and where one can input requests for feature return, or new features.  I mean links stated by Microsoft that they use for this purpose.

(I have no idea why part of the above is showing in bold; I did not so mark it.)
    • Edited by gladiator- Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:53 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:52 PM
  • Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion, but I would rather stab myself in the eye with a hot poker than use Windows 8. :^D

Oh come on, it's not THAT bad, and sooner or later you're going to have to face the fact that it's going to be released.  And if you were to provide good feedback to Microsoft now, it might even be better when it DOES release.  That's the approach I'm taking.

-Noel

Well, good luck getting Microsoft to stop making their O/S more and more like Apple's. They seem to be in a downward spiral chasing after a company with less market share. :Op

WATYF

Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:44 PM
  • Drew, I understand your points and fundamentally, you are right about your characterization of the VAST majority of computer users.  The focus of what you presented is about USE of computers, vs., well, other stuff.

But, in that, you have hit the nail directly on the head.  The things we have been complaining about relate precisely to removal of USEful facilities in the OS.  Nobody has complained that aero should have looked different, or there should be prettier desktop backgrounds built in, or whatever.

The things we have brought up are things that relate precisely to USING the OS to get our daily work done.  When the utility goes down, for what appears to us due to nothing more than simply an inexplicable decision to remove it, THAT warrants a legitimate gripe.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:40 PM
  • I have to say, all the "power" features MUST remain available, even if in default form they're hidden, well-protected, or whatever.  This is a very good reason to provide configurability

The real problem is that Microsoft seems in some cases to want to "dumb down" things so that even we power-users, without registry hacks and 3rd party add-ons that aren't really well integrated, just can't get the features we need to do real work.  Why, for example, is it apparent that some things have been removed from the Aero Desktop in Windows 8 (e.g., a dialog with which one can minimize the size of the "chrome" elements around windows)?

And make no mistake, while non-technical casual users number in the hundreds of millions, the minority of professional / power users isn't tiny - it's probably still over a hundred million worldwide.

One could even make the very good point that a "Windows X Professional" or "Enterprise" edition should be highly optimized for power users right out of the box.

-Noel

Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:39 PM
  • The real problem is that Microsoft seems in some cases to want to "dumb down" things so that even we power-users, without registry hacks and 3rd party add-ons that aren't really well integrated, just can't get the features we need to do real work. 

-Noel

Yup. Like I said... they're chasing after Apple's "one-size-fits-all" approach.

And since Apple does that better, they're just going to end up losing more share to Apple.

Window's advantage has always been its versatility and ubiquitousness. It is slowly losing both of those things.

WATYF

Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:31 PM
  • Now, you're just being repetitive.    Ranting is serving no purpose or value.  It's not about Apple vs MS

No rant. Just stating the obvious. Microsoft can do what it wants. And we should be aware of what, exactly, it is doing, so we can prepare for alternatives when they become necessary.

WATYF

Monday, September 19, 2011 2:48 PM
  • You make it sound like you think you are fighting a war or a rebellion against a tryanical government.  The competition is not primary, computing is!  It's just us using, understanding & trying to position ourselves to give worthwhile service, enlightenment, empowernment & support to others.  And THAT is where the obvious energy, time, discussion & forcus ought to be.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:53 PM
  • Was there an answer to: "I would appreciate it if above is wrong, that you post the links to where one reports [to microsoft] bugs, and where one can input requests for feature return, or new features.  I mean links stated by Microsoft that they use for this purpose."
    Monday, September 19, 2011 6:43 PM
  • Was there an answer to: "I would appreciate it if above is wrong, that you post the links to where one reports [to microsoft] bugs, and where one can input requests for feature return, or new features.  I mean links stated by Microsoft that they use for this purpose."

Hi

Here is the main link.

You can use the following form to submit feedback to Microsoft.

Regards

Ronnie Vernon MVP – Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, September 19, 2011 7:19 PM
  • You make it sound like you think you are fighting a war or a rebellion against a tryanical government.  The competition is not primary, computing is!  It's just us using, understanding & trying to position ourselves to give worthwhile service, enlightenment, empowernment & support to others.  And THAT is where the obvious energy, time, discussion & forcus ought to be.

haha... nice. But no, this is nothing like a tyrannical government.

And I am trying to "position myself to give worthwhile service, enlightenment, and empowerment to others". As long as Windows is tolerable, I will develop for it, but I will suffer under no delusions. There will come a time (unless they reverse their current course) where "enlightening and empowering" others will involve telling them that Windows is no longer the way to go. Nothing wrong with being aware of that ahead of time.

WATYF

Monday, September 19, 2011 8:17 PM
  • Thanks, Ron.  Now we are back on track w/ something appropriate & valuable to the topic.

If it was "inappropriate" then why discuss it at such length?

It's a little late for you to play the "moral high ground" card. :^D

WATYF

Monday, September 19, 2011 8:21 PM
  • Please, move on, rather than fill space in such ways.... If you don't or don't want to understand we can't possibly explain.

Ur way off topic & no listening or trying to grasp (properly) what is said (to you).  Nor is it wanted that you treat the forum like a school playground.

It's you that keeps going w/ something inappropriate or off track & nobody is "playing" anything.  Nor is that attitude appropiate, either.

Please know when to drop or stop your tirade (here).

It's not helping the subject or any persons.

Monday, September 19, 2011 8:54 PM
  • WATYF: Just ignore Drew's comments, as i'm guessing most everybody else does. IMHO, he has not contributed one useful thing to the thread to date, which is very sad.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 11:12 PM
  • It is not necessary to ignore Drew--just realize that he is very tightly tied to Microsoft...read his signature line.  There is nothing wrong with being a strong advocate for something, so just accept that he is precisely that.  It does not mean that he should be expected to shut down his advocacy, just as we would not like to be 'shut down' on expressing our viewpoint.

However, in any discussion, it behooves all participants to recognize the point where they have made their opinion (or facts) clear, and seeing that the other participants will not be swayed, to just accept that.  It is not the end of the world to do so.  It may even require letting the other person have the last word.

I have a hard time taking my own advice, but I think at last, on THIS topic, I usually only jump back in if there is a new (different) input from someone.  I try to give up on the back and forth that gets nowhere and can start to turn personal.  It advances nothing.

On the other hand, if you find another docking toolbar program that works well, help us all and post it.  And by all means, go to the provided feedback link and ask for the missing features you like to be returned to 7 and to be put into 8.

Monday, September 19, 2011 11:43 PM
  • Thank you, 'gladiator'.  You have helped explain my point.  I am absolutely not exclusive to Microsoft.  They've done many good things, some not so much, they certainly have made some boners & they certainly don't make everyone happy all the time.

I have never denied to importance dackable toolbars are to many or, worse, the lack thereof.  I have tried repeatedly to urge folks to voice their concerns to Microsoft AND, yes, I feel & have seen that often they DO listen and DO respond.

Certainly there are many manufactures & vendors than have a fine place in IT & a significant role in this world's computing.  Many, both hardware & software, also, do things well & offer good stuff.  But, the 'he said-she said' between Apple & Microsoft serves no real purpose, certainly not in the context of this thread or topic.

Yes, I did offer the possiblitity that putting Quick Launch (back) in Windows 7 might make things more workable for some folks... never missing that it definitly doesn't make up for no dockable toolbars.

As for the unfortunate & ill-placed presonal slur against me... the truth is I write extesively in this & several other Tech Forums.  And fortunately it is all very rewarding for the many "Thank yous", "Marked Answers" or "Valuable Contributions", "Achievements Earned" & expressions of gratitude for the comments, info and various other text, input & (actually) very positive, even valuable, contributions that have been made & offered.  Those who apreciate the writing & utilitarian discussion are great... those who cann't or don't could (as you suggest) quietly & with maturity & decency, just read & move on about their day.

Thanks,
    Drew
    • Edited by Drew1903 Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:20 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:27 AM
  • Eureka - I had the same problem, then I found there is a dead easy answer - just do this:

You just click on organize, then layout, then navigation pane! All the folders come back down the left hand side of the files you're working on!!!  Easy Peasy!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:53 AM
  • Eureka - I had the same problem, then I found there is a dead easy answer - just do this:

You just click on organize, then layout, then navigation pane! All the folders come back down the left hand side of the files you're working on!!! Easy Peasy!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:54 AM

You just click on organize, then layout, then navigation pane! All the folders come back down the left hand side of the files you're working on!!! Easy Peasy!

It was driving me crazy that I couldn't use the nice folder display at the left side of my work area, to move folders etc., quickly, and I tried all these 'folder-choice' things that were recommended, but they didn't work.

Then I was fiddling about, and I saw this 'organise' button, clicked on it, and it said 'layout', so i clicked on that, and then it said 'navigation pane', so I clicked on that, and all my lovely folders came back.  Magic! 

Maybe I was misunderstanding the problerm others have been moaning about, but this is my problem sorted. Happy days!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:58 AM

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:59 AM

Hi

Here is the main link.

You can use the following form to submit feedback to Microsoft.

Regards

Ronnie Vernon MVP – Windows Desktop Experience

A bit late for that.  We're at Windows 8 with the Metro Style.  Where do you think the icons fit in there ?

For now, RocketDock for Windows 7 and the future is Tiles on Windows 8.  You'll have to scroll with your finger like a crazy dude but it's fun.  It's ok to me now as I don't see the point of having lots of apps on the start page especially when you can add them as you need and group them too.

Marcheur extrême...
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:27 PM
  • To summarize the dock addons for w7

Sevendeskbar

Nexus by Winstep

Rocketdock

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:01 AM
  • Please, move on, rather than fill space in such ways.... If you don't or don't want to understand we can't possibly explain.

Ur way off topic & no listening or trying to grasp (properly) what is said (to you).  Nor is it wanted that you treat the forum like a school playground.

It's you that keeps going w/ something inappropriate or off track & nobody is "playing" anything.  Nor is that attitude appropiate, either.

Please know when to drop or stop your tirade (here).

It's not helping the subject or any persons.

I'm always entertained by people who feign disgust at something while at the same time engaging in it. If you want to move on, then stop replying to everything I say. This whole "I don't think we should be talking about this..... but I'm still gonna keep talking about it so I can get in the last word" thing is pretty comical.

:^D

You can keep calling it a "tirade" all you want. I'm being quite matter-of-fact about this. If I was just some "M$ hater" then I wouldn't be here offering free programs that help people get more out of Windows 7.

WATYF

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:58 PM
  • To summarize the dock addons for w7

Sevendeskbar

Nexus by Winstep

Rocketdock

I used Nexus on my personal laptop for a while. It's not bad, but it has a few issues. First, it's very "Apple-esque". It takes a while to find and turn off all of the "big, colorful, bouncy button" options. It also doesn't take up the whole side of the screen, so if you don't move your mouse over exactly where it is, then it won't open (the old taskbar filled the whole side so all you had to do was move the mouse to the left, anywhere, and it popped out). On top of that, it "steals" the focus from anything you're doing when it pops out... so let's say you're typing in a field in a browser and you swipe your mouse over to the left to get it out of the way and the nexus bar pops out... well, now your cursor isn't going to be in the field in the browser window where you were typing any more. I ran into that problem quite a bit, actually.

That's why, instead of just using that when my work switched to Windows 7, I just wrote my own.

WATYF

• Edited by WATYF Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:10 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:08 PM
  • You are right about the 'stealing focus' issue.  Seven deskbar does the same thing.  Still, it is better than not having a docked bar at all.  Will have to try yours when I get a chance.  Can I put whatever shortcuts I want in it, up to 30-33?  Arrange them in my order? Right side? Keep it an open bar?
    • Edited by gladiator- Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:12 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:10 PM
  • You are right about the 'stealing focus' issue.  Seven deskbar does the same thing.  Still, it is better than not having a docked bar at all.  Will have to try yours when I get a chance.  Can I put whatever shortcuts I want in it, up to 30-33?  Arrange them in my order? Right side? Keep it an open bar?

There is no limit on shortcuts (I didn't really program that in) and you can order them and group them however you want. The main limit on mine is its customizability (ironically). I made it for how I use a toolbar (left-side auto-hide) because that's all I needed. If that happens to suit you, then it should be just like using the old XP toolbar.

WATYF

Friday, September 23, 2011 2:06 PM
  • I moved mine from the right over to the left for a day...couldn't get used to it there--did not feel right at all.  And there is a camera bar there pre-installed.  I disabled it to allow the shortcut bar to reside at the left. Also, I leave my bar open since it doesn't take up much space.

Admittedly, these are just personal "how you work" things, different for everybody.  If you ever decide to allow right side and always-open, please post here.  I'd like to try it.

Friday, September 23, 2011 4:10 PM
  • I've been using sevendeskbar since i my long post about it in this thread, and i haven't noticed the "stealing focus" thingie.. Do you have the bar set to "auto-hide" or some such? I've never had a problem with it interrupting a game or application, but maybe i'm misunderstanding since you both mentioned it? I have noticed a few bugs/quirks tho:

- when i first set up the bars, they were REALLY buggy (would flash on and off and do other things) but seemed fine after reboot

- you can drag stuff into folders on a bar but you CAN NOT drag a new folder/file to it, as these must be deposited in the bars root folder

- some applications and shortcuts fail to load properly from the bar, but only very few. (only one i can think of off top of my head is the on-screen keyboard)

WATYF: would be really interesting in trying the bar you coded! =)

Question: has anyone got rocketdock to work for WIN7 x64?

Friday, September 23, 2011 5:32 PM

• WATYF: would be really interesting in trying the bar you coded! =)

The link is above... here it is again:

http://www.musicalnerdery.com/files/soft/SIMSToolsSetup.zip

WATYF

Friday, September 23, 2011 6:25 PM
  • The "stealing focus" is not a "full" steal.  The most noticeable event to duplicate it is to want to fill in a field in a web page.  You click in the field to put the typing cursor there.  Then you slam the mouse over to the right to get it out of the way--it lands in the sevendeskbar. 

Now you no longer have a typing cursor in the original field.  But the browser window has not really "lost focus"--it still has the darker bar of an active window, but the typing cursor has disappeared as if focus was lost.

It also happens when trying to enter a new appointment in an Outlook calendar.  You click in a spot, move mouse away and start to type, but nothing is happening--the 'field' lost the typing cursor when the mouse hit sevendeskbar.

• Edited by gladiator- Friday, September 23, 2011 7:24 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 7:22 PM
  • The "stealing focus" is not a "full" steal.  The most noticeable event to duplicate it is to want to fill in a field in a web page.  You click in the field to put the typing cursor there.  Then you slam the mouse over to the right to get it out of the way--it lands in the sevendeskbar. 

Now you no longer have a typing cursor in the original field.  But the browser window has not really "lost focus"--it still has the darker bar of an active window, but the typing cursor has disappeared as if focus was lost.

Yeah... I'm not sure exactly what it's doing because, as you said, it doesn't fully steal the focus. I also notice this when highlighting text in a window. Lets say you're highlight a bunch of text at the left side of your browser window (my Nexus toolbar was on the left) and you just barely go past the edge of the browser window and end up activating the toolbar... well... now all your highlighted text is no longer highlighted. Nexus does *something* that involves taking control of the cursor.

WATYF

Friday, September 23, 2011 7:45 PM
  • I wrote an article on my (mostly abandoned) blog about this and included a link and screenshot of the toolbar, in case anyone wants to see if before downloading.

http://www.musicalnerdery.com/net-programming/custom-docking-toolbar-for-windows-7-because-you-know-microsoft-removed-them.html

WATYF

Friday, September 23, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Many thanks WATYF, for the SIMS Toolbar.  Please allow me to second gladiator's motion (from back on 9/16) that you provide the source.  Fwiw, I'm hoping gladiator will run with it and implement the modifications he described (and save me the work :-) )
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:47 PM
  • Many thanks WATYF, for the SIMS Toolbar.  Please allow me to second gladiator's motion (from back on 9/16) that you provide the source.  Fwiw, I'm hoping gladiator will run with it and implement the modifications he described (and save me the work :-) )
    gladiator, although a techie systems level engineer, is clueless about coding.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:01 PM
    gladiator, although a techie systems level engineer, is clueless about coding.

galdiator... what did you mean (on 9/16) by "multiple toolbars"? Are you looking for an app that will allow you to have a toolbar on the left AND the right (or whatever combination)?

I ask, because the old toolbar allowed you to merge multiple toolbars into the same "place" (i.e. three consecutive toolbars docked on the left), but I didn't see a practical reason to make separate toolbars if they're all gonna be docked on the same side. In fact, that's one thing that I found annoying about the old toolbars. Sometimes, you'd go to click somewhere in the middle of the toolbar and accidentally grab the "top" of one of the toolbars and drag it away.

WATYF

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Also, these features that you requested on 9/16....

"-icons can be dragged to user-desired order (critical)

-shortcuts can be dragged onto the bar (not critical)"

...already exist. (Unless you mean something different by them, in which case you'd have to explain)

WATYF

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:25 PM
  • By 'multiple toolbars' I meant that you would be allowed to have one folder of shortcuts docked on one edge, and (if you wished) another folder of shortcuts docked on a different edge.

For example, one at right side and a different one at top.

For the dragging, just as it says--be able to drag them onto the bar from the desktop (not critical), and within the bar, to drag them to a different location/order on the bar (critical).

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:29 PM
  • For the dragging, just as it says--be able to drag them onto the bar from the desktop (not critical), and within the bar, to drag them to a different location/order on the bar (critical).

This feature is already in there.

WATYF

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:42 PM
  • Thank you very much Drew for that extra effort.  It is most appreciated I assure you.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:24 PM
  • You're welcome; my pleasure.
    • Edited by Drew1903 Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:27 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:27 PM
  • Well, that did not take long...

I have received response, response you may like. I 've had both replies from the Monitors (staff) from Connect AND a long, personal, non-generic, non-form-letter from a Senior Escalation Engineer on the Developer Support IE team on loan (been over a year) to the IE Product Group to help with the IE 9 Beta and IE 10 Beta.

Both souces have indicated that the issue is/will be looked @ seriously and tabled to the most fitting people, Teams & Departments.

I was, also, asked to put this in the Win 8 Build Forum...part of these Category Forums AND 1 where I already, also, write... as I have already started involving myself w/ Windows 8.

I will keep you updated regarding further communication on this as it comes to me.

Sincerely,
    Drew

Saturday, October 1, 2011 3:43 AM
  • OldBar lets you create one toolbar.

http://delitech.info/site/help-and-support/51-windows/293-create-a-dockable-toolbar-on-the-windows-7-desktop.html

Download here: http://www.ondanera.net/download/setup_oldbar_1.1.0.exe

Monday, November 21, 2011 4:19 PM
  • I discovered this conversation over an hour ago. Although extremely tired, I have read the whole thing, riveted, from end to end. I am totally in tune with all the contributors who have expressed utter dismay at having the docking toolbars taken away in Windows 7, and relieved to have found a community of people who fully understand the way I have been using my computers, day in and day out, for the past ten years or so. I work as a translator with a United Nations agency. I use all manner of reference documents and applications in my work, and ALL of them are in the three docking toolbars - left, right and top - that are a part of my life. They are more than useful: they are a part of my body, in the same way as the pedals, steering wheel and indicator stick in my car. I cannot imagine ever working without them, and KNOW FOR CERTAIN that nothing else can ever be as instantly available and user-friendly. I still have XP at work and dread the day it will be replaced with Windows 7. I am now discovering the full horror of life without toolbars as my XP laptop at home has crashed and I am having to use my wife's Windows 7 machine. It is WRONG, utterly wrong, to play with people's working methods like this, especially when the function in question is so obviously indispensable TO ANYONE WHO HAS USED IT. And there's the problem. Out of dozens of colleagues, I know of only one who has discovered the toolbars, which, as far as I know, were never publicized. I have recently shown them to other colleagues, all of whom have been amazed at their simplicity and usefulness, and then equally amazed to learn that they will disappear. This may sound exaggerated, but I have a physical feeling of loss, coupled with an even stronger feeling of "How could they possibly have done this?". I really have to sleep now, but I thank all of you who, having experienced "my" way of working, have come out so strongly in defence of it. And if anyone at Microsoft is reading this, please put the docking toolbars back AND PUBLICIZE THEM. They are a totally liberating tool. You were brilliant for having introduced them all those years ago, but unfortunately very, very short-sighted to have taken them away. And if any earlier contributors are still checking in to this conversation, my very best wishes to you. I know how you feel.
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:44 PM
  • To the last poster (the thread display is not showing poster names to me now--another new "improvement?")... That was a beautiful expression of how so many of us feel; the docked toolbar become an integrated part of "how we work." Clearly, Microsoft doesn't care. Their approach is "our way is better--learn to deal with it." --gladiator........... Also I notice that paragraphing is deleted on posting. Yet another wonderful improvement. Maybe an improvement I can make is to move to Ubuntu linux?
    • Edited by gladiator- Friday, December 23, 2011 4:15 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Hi gladiator - thanks for your comment! I've just had to wait ages for the poster names to appear, in the meantime dismissing an error message about the scripting taking too long. I guess this thread has seen better days. Now I'm having to decide whether to reinstall XP on my dead laptop (with the hours and hours of updates, and then the same for good old Office 2003, WITHOUT THE GHASTLY RIBBON), or admit defeat and get a new machine with Windows 7 and Office 2010. All of this gives one a feeling of how a world government might be, deciding what's best for all of us by catering only to the masses, without making any allowances for the more inventive and savvy citizens - the "power users" in the IT context. It's frightening, all this dumbing down. Thank God there are people out there who are capable and willing to make workaround solutions. If only MS could understand what a fantastic tool they had made. But then perhaps they do realize it, and perhaps this is part of the marketing game of "take something good away now so that we can boost our sales by bringing it back later". The power of these vast corporations is massive and they know it. By the way, in case you still don't see the names, this is SwissFrank.

Saturday, December 24, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Yes, I am getting the scripting error too. I try to crtl-end, to jump to the bottom of the page for current messages, and it doesn't work. Then Firefox shows as 'non-responding,' and after that, it comes back (when the scripting error is dismissed).................... I note this site is under microsoft.com. The site is not working right. Imagine that. Perfectly consistent with Windows not working right............. the laptop I am using, an i5 Toshiba with Windows 7, is slower than my 3 yr old core2duo, does a less-than-one-second freeze randomly but averaging every 2.5-3 minutes. That causes anything with video or sound to be cr**. I can't rip my CD's any more because of it. And I just hate paying a premium price to get an upper-midrange computer, and it being sh**.
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 7:33 PM
  • I agree entirely with QixGuy.  I think that the tone of Drew's post WAS condescending and dismissive of the concerns of all those who have found a functionality missing, searched the net for a way to turn it back on, and ended up here, a collection point for those of the dissatisfied with the energy to post about it.  The request that he stop the patronising nonsense was not ridicule- it was a genuine wish for support on this issue.  It's absolutely irrelevant to those of us who need to dock our folders whether Drew used that "feature" or not- as if we'd suddenly feel we shouldn't mind so much, since he himself doesn't care... well we DO damned well want to dock our folders!  Even if we're the only few in the world who do.  Applying not-so-subtle social pressure to try to shame people into adapting [again] to Microsoft's idea of how we should work isn't going to do the trick for some of us.  Espcially when that not-so-subtle social pressure is emmanating from Microsoft itself in the form of it's representatives. In any case, thanks for the link.  I'll post the link to this discussion there for the infinitely open-minded developers at Microsoft to consider... or will I?  If their attitude is as dissmissive as yours, is there any point?

In XP I had; taskbar along the bottom
    Always-on security apps down the right side, autohidden
    At-will scan security apps down the left side, autohidden
    Utilities along the top, autohidden

Yes, an empty desktop is my idea of beauty. LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE, MS!

Saturday, February 18, 2012 4:45 AM
  • There's evidently quite a number of people who are inconvenienced by the loss of this functionality.  If MS are as conscientious and attentive to the requirements of their customer base ["the masses"?] as has been claimed, then maybe they'll show up and reply here to this question; WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO RETURN THE FEATURE WITH A PATCH?  I mean TECHNICALLY possible, not logistically. 

It can be seen that this concern has existed since 2009. It's now 2012.  And you're claiming Microsoft  is interested?  It has been more than 3 years since the first person posted about this.

OK, supposing- as you imply- we who want the docking folders/toolbars back are a minority, even a tiny one...would leaving in place the functionality we need have impaired the experience of the vast majority of customers who didn't avail of it?  OK, then why remove it?  And now, why not put it back? 

Basically, Drew, reading down this post, I see far too much of your 'voice of microsoft'.  Really, the people who want the docking folders back don't at all care why you think they should be quiet and adapt.  Nor do we care about your lack of experience of the functionality we have come to need, and with that in mind we do not much care about your credentials or other experience.  We just want the docking folders back, and for you just to leave it at that.
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 5:34 AM
  • Great!  Could you also please make it openable in more than one instance?

Many thanks

Saturday, February 18, 2012 5:36 AM
  • Great!  Could you also please make it openable in more than one instance?

Many thanks

Saturday, February 18, 2012 5:36 AM
  • Absolutely
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 5:40 AM
  • I see no repetition there.  And where do you get 'ranting'?  WATYF has posted maybe three times to your probably 20, and your tone isn't particularly moderate.  Perhaps Roddie or whoever he was would like to to pop up his sock puppet here and mention ridicule again with the shoe on the other foot.

The point about market share being lost to Apple is pertinent and not repetitious.  I could have got a hermetically sealed Apple lolly toy with everything proprietary on it and been led by the nose like the poor beast they wish I was, but went with a PC for its moddability, and the same went for the OS.  And now that strong selling point is being eroded.  Don't forget that 'power users'or not, customers are the reason for the existence of the makers of the machines we use.  And its imo a very big mistake to incur the irritation of the more knowledgeable, because ultimately it's they who will give the product its cachet.  Bargain basement appeal won't keep a company at the top of the market; it's the perception that what they do, they do well.  And more and more it's being perceived that Microsoft do not do things all that well.  They should try a lot harder to appease, even please the 'power users'.  In this case of the dockable folders it is indeed ridiculous to take away functionality when its retention would keep happy the reputation-makers and not complicate the experience of the low-end users.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 5:56 AM
  • I think everybody has their feelings laid out on the table at this point.  Why don't we just return to talking about the issue instead of people's attitudes and motives..

Drew, quit telling people to adapt...we came here because WE DON'T WANT TO ADAPT; WE WANT THE DOCK TOOLBAR BACK.

Everybody else, we know where Drew stands; there is no need to keep hammering him about it, so long as he quits telling us "it really is OK the way it is and it probably won't  change" (a paraphrase that may not be perfectly accurate--not a direct quote).

Truce?

Saturday, February 18, 2012 3:29 PM
  • All I ever have been saying is TRY to get it back which, is why I went to Microsoft peading the case AND that if something can't or won't be put back then, that must be accepted... not necessarily liked but, accepted.

Nothing from me about this was being flippant, uncaring or insensitive.

Sorry, if anyone has misunderstood intent, motivation or comments of mine.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 6:33 PM
  • I'd like to add my voice to the campaign to get rid of the ghastly ribbon.
    Monday, February 20, 2012 6:07 AM
  • That will not happen but, why, in your opinion, is it "ghastly"?  Not an argument, just curious...

Monday, February 20, 2012 6:35 PM
  • This is a topic about docking folders as a toolbar to the screen edge.  How did ribbons start getting discussed?
    Monday, February 20, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Heh, sometimes that happens with threads; it's not surprising.  It's just a conversation of a sort, and they're known to drift.

I would think ribbons might be considered "ghastly" too if they couldn't be collapsed.  But as with Windows 8 Explorer, I think the ribbons actually work out rather nicely.  It will, of course, take a little time to get used to where to find the things one needs, but after that I can see that remembering where things are positionally (rather than having to scan through a list of similar-looking text) will actually be easier and quicker to use.  Personally I find that as I grow older it's more and more difficult to read through lists of textual items - especially unbroken lists - to find specific things.  It's as if they're camouflaged in plain sight.

That said, I have never used a version of Office newer than 2003 (yet).

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:37 PM
  • "...way nicer, better..."  Well, here we go again.  Somebody telling me what I like.
    Monday, February 20, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Honestly, I really don't see any other users here telling you what to like or what not to like.  Do you think others should hold back their opinions of what they prefer just to make you happy?  It seems pretty clear not everyone feels the same way, and that's fine - we're all different.

While I suppose Drew could say things in a slightly less matter-of-fact way, rest assured that not everyone is going to express their opinion in a way that makes you feel good about yours, especially not if it differs from theirs.  In my experience, it seems to me a majority of people in the world express their opinions as though they are obvious fact and you'd be crazy to think anything else.  That's life.

You kind of just have to ignore it, safe in the knowledge that your way is best - for you!

Lastly, Drew is very much being a realist throughout this thread regarding his comments that it's unlikely Microsoft is going to change anything back.  They did what they did on purpose, not by accident.  Either we follow what Microsoft dishes out and try to make the best of it, or we just get frustrated.  And every now and again their changes do have merit - once you get used to them.  Change itself is hard for everyone, but taken to the other extreme - if they changed nothing - why would anyone want to buy a new OS version?

Regardless of what their "I thought it up right here in the back of a taxi" commercials imply, each of us is but one of a billion users, and we are only giving them a few hundred dollars.  That's enough to keep the lights on at the Microsoft facilities worldwide for about 540 milliseconds.  To Microsoft, none of us individually matters very much.  In fact, unless our wants and desires are in line with their business goals, even a whole lot of us with similar opinions don't matter much.  Just look at how many people dislike Metro in Windows 8 as a good example.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Monday, February 20, 2012 11:39 PM
  • You are quite right of course.

However, I do think that it is possible to state ones OPINION while leaving room that others might not share that.  When you state it as fact, it almost demands challenge if one feels otherwise--whereas if it is stated as an opinion, that does not so readily invite further comment, in that everybody understands anyone can have their opinion. But when they imply, in effect, they have complete knowlege on understanding whether something is good or not, THAT will draw offsetting comment.

Now I am dropping this since I was the one complaining that the topic had been hijacked away from docking toolbar folders.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:12 AM
  • 1st, Noel, thanks for your comments.  I will admit, I seem to oft express better w/ talking than typing.  There will always be opinions & by definition that allows, inherently for subjectivity.  OFt there is no absolute right or wrong to things, not 100% blk & wht issues.  One can sometimes be correct in something or just plain enthusiastic & excited, about it... doesn't mean others share the feeling OR MUST.

In recommending things be accepted whether one likes them, particularly or not, does not imply being blazee or callous.  It's more like the Serenity Prayer.

And while 1 aspect, Feature or functionality bothers or matters to one person or group, another will be the bane of another or others.

When I discovered Quick Launch gone w/ Windows 7 I was somewhere between sad & mad.  It was something I, personally liked A LOT & missed A LOT.  However, there was not A LOT that I could do about it.  When I found it could be replaced I was really glad.  Yet, there are some who feel QL is 100% silly & unnecessary.  Sometimes, like it or not, we have to find work-arounds, alternatives to what was (our comfort zone),sometimes adapt , adjust, learn to work w/ new things or w/out old things.

Yes, it may feel like nobody cares or is listening, that "Give us your feedback" is hollow rhetoric.  In some context Noel is right when it comes to computing in a global scenario, for personal and business, where something sets a standard, a benchmark the granular considerations are applied on an epic, widespread scale to & used by the masses.  Someone once said, always fight traffic & parking tickets cus you just never know what can happen whilst others say, it's a waste of time cus ya just can't fight city hall. Well, w/ MS, it's always best to say what you feel cus ya never know what can happen. Listen, 1 big reason we beta-test Operating systems is, not only so the bugs can be found & fixed but, so we can say what is liked or not, what needs to be improved, changed, added, removed. Our communication & cooperative work is directly w/ the OS Build Team. If, you know a beta-tester, maybe they will speak for you on a given subject.

Anyway, like Noel said, one a's garbage is another man's art and what WE are saying is don't beat your head against the wall over things that exist or change (beyond your control or liking) and make your voice heard for any possible positive impact it may have.

And, truly any Ribbon discussion belongs in the Windows 8 or Office (Forum) sections threads.  It has been in Office since Office 2007.  It is, also, in Windows Live Mail. We knew use of Ribbon technology would be expanding. But, since it is not in 7 or prior OSs, yes, although, conversations can wander, let's save Ribbon discussions for other threads where it's maybe more fitting... just a thought. Actually, I can't quite see how or why mention of Ribbon came out of the blue & into this thread, @ all.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:52 AM
  • I found my way here from a search  - looking for a way to get the "dockable folder" feature on a WIN 7 machine. I've been delaying the IT dept at work from switching my XP machine with a new WIN 7. I'm quite disappointed that MS did not keep this functionality with WIN 7.

At work I run a dual monitor system. I have two different dockable toolbar folders. One on each monitor. It is so very convenient and productive. I can easily organize different task and customer activities into either monitor.

After reading through this forum for the last 45 minutes, it's pretty clear that this one feature is sorely missed by many users. After seeing how I've used these toolbars and the speed with which I am able to move through the various icons on my "toolbars", many of my co=workers have asked how to get the same functionality. I've shown them all how to create their own custom tool bars. Now, when they get upgraded to WIN 7, they'll be asking me what to do.....

No good answer comes to mind.

Friday, February 24, 2012 12:59 AM
  • I, too, miss the dockable toolbar. Please, please, please bring it back in *Windows 7*.

I can't wait until my IT shop decides to go with the next version of Windows (in the 22nd century...)

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 1:45 PM

• Or @ the end of 2012.

Although, do not see this on the Feature List of Windows 8.  Nor having used Win8 for a while, do I find such a thing.  Where is it found in XP?  Maybe, you could save me firing up my XP vm; if I knew where to get this in XP, I could look for it in Windows8, since we know it's not in Windows7. 

Maybe, you could ask the Windows8 Build Team to add it, if it's not there, already.

• Edited by Drew1903 Wednesday, March 7, 2012 7:12 PM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 7:11 PM
  • Where  in XP...I normally don't like to post if not sure, but I will this time;  but it is from recollection.  My recollection is that XP had the MOST flexible version of docking a folder.  I think you could dock a folder by slamming it against the screen edge from anywhere--that is, it did not have to be on the desktop.

What I do not remember is whether or not it had to be the actual folder or could be a shortcut to a folder, or could be a shortcut on the desktop to a folder elsewhere that you could then delete, etc.  So, I am short on the mechanics, but I do remember that XP could do it, and that the flexibility of the function decreased when Vista came out--but you could still do it in Vista.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 7:32 PM
  • That's awful to collapse a folder/file list.  The question should be...how will they screw up next.  MS seems to be searching for ways to put itself out of business.
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 8:11 PM
  • Heh, your animation reminded me of something different...  I'm starting to perceive 3D button styles that actually look like you can push them in the same light as hand crafted wood furniture from the past:  Solid, elegant, functional, better made than the junk you get today...  :)

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Thursday, March 8, 2012 9:58 PM
  • EPIC FAIL MS!

I had to switch to W7 from Vista and I NEED MY SHORTCUT TOOLBAR. That's all I want!

Saturday, March 10, 2012 1:24 PM
  • For completeness, I have found another docking toolbar. 

Will allow any or all of left, right, top, bottom.  Is a 'overlay' on the desktop, does not "push desktop aside."  To my chagrin, I can only get it to be autohide--so far cannot get it to show always like I like.  Icons are in square boxes that bump against each other; to me not quite as clear as sevendeskbar, but very usable.  This is definitely a candidate you should look at.

Read the documentation.  When you drag something onto the bar, equivalently a shortcut to the target item is created in the bar--so if you drag a shortcut there, supposedly you can then delete the shortcut you dragged.

coolbarz

http://www.bryntyounce.com/coolbarz.htm

Saturday, March 24, 2012 8:43 PM
  • Absolutely spot on.  Nice one.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:17 AM
  • I know what you mean by "I pity the server admins today..."! I'm a linux admin, but use windows on my desktop. I'm still using Windows XP Pro! i unfortunately have Windows 7 at work, and have been extremely upset about these missing features. Although Win7 is a HUGE upgrade from Vista, besides the "pretty" factor, I don't think Win7 is much of an upgrade from XP since it's missing a few features.
    Friday, June 1, 2012 3:06 PM
  • My sincere note to Microsoft:

Microsoft, like these other fine customers here, I would like to see this functionality returned. In THIS version of Windows as I fully intend to skip a version or two, as always. It's nothing personal, but the license to use your software is expensive and I want the same functionality I have grown accustomed to having it and would love to see it returned in order to regain some portion of lost efficiency. I otherwise love what you've done and hope you continue to improve. If for some reason you are unable to return this functionality due to some form of conflict, please inform us so, if nothing else, we can be satisfied with there being a good reason for it's removal. It is entirely possible you may have already addressed this issue and plan the returned functionality in a future service pack, I hope this is the case and of course I hope it is soon, but do what is within reason. Thanks lots! :D

-

In regards to the topic:

Wow... I can't believe I wasted so much time reading all of this garbage. I just "upgraded" from Windows XP about a month ago. I liked XP, but I think I like 7 better. However, I must admit that I really, really, want my (cussword) sidebar back! Seriously. Thanks in advance. :)

Now, I did see an argument implying that we are the small majority of users and thus our desire to have a removed feature returned is somehow less important. Do you, sir, realize how many of us ARE NOT POSTING IN THIS THREAD? How many didn't bother? How many didn't want to make an account? How many don't know about it? How many aren't using 7 yet? IF you are correct in that we are the minority, then we are a very large minority, and large enough to matter; customers - regardless.

As for this Drew fellow, I am not sure what you are attempting to do here, troll perhaps? These people are not users, they are customers and they want to see a feature returned to a product they've been buying licenses to use for years now. Your point is irrelevant to this issue. You continuously recite that you never used the feature and have otherwise had no previous understanding of it until this topic. The rest of your posts seem to be some form of psychology lesson to everyone else posting here in how they should act or behave; speaking of enlightenment, adaptation, and conformity. This is a topic where customers are asking for a feature to be put back into a product they've purchased a license to use, not about how people should act while using said product. I do not wish to offend you or upset you, but you are not helping anyone, at all; that is the point I am making. Adaptation is compromise, and compromise is settling for less. Admittedly, we can't even settle for compromise, as no compromise on the end of MS has been offered or accepted in regard to this issue. If you are trying to help or to explain why this feature is removed, great! If not, you're trolling.

Saturday, June 9, 2012 8:58 PM
  • The lack of docking tool bars is second on my list of total disgust with Win7, with first place going to Windows Explorer! The Windows Explorer in Vista was bad, and in Win7 it got even worse, but that's another topic.

Thanks to all who contributed good ideas, especially fabpolli and gladiator-. I installed SevenDeskBar and think it's a solution that will work for me. I also downloaded WATYF's SIMS Toolbar and will give it a try as well. One down and one to go; I still need to find a Windows Explorer replacement.

Now a short rant for anyone who may care:

Over the course of 20 years, I've built or bought a new PC every 2-3 years. I bought my newest computer almost 3 years ago but have hardly used it. It came with Vista-64 installed and a free upgrade to 7 (when released). After upgrading?? to Win7, I found the Win7 UI so unfriendly I just kept using my old XP box. When a short fried the motherboard, HDDs and DVD of the XP machine a few months back, I found an identical MB on ebay, bought new drives and restored it. I had made a disc image just minutes before smoke wafted out of the case, whew! Assuming MS would require a new XP license, I bought two and installed the second to multi-boot on my much faster Win 7 machine. Now I can use my new PC and only need boot to Win7 when I really need to take advantage of the addition RAM.

Win7 makes me so angry, it's a running joke at my house. "Have I told you how much I hate Windows 7?" "Yes", "Only a million times", and "Not today" are common replies.

In short, I have very little interest in buying any new Windows PCs unless MS can make their OS better instead of worse, as has been their recent trend.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 2:24 AM
  • Add me to the long list of long time Windows users who rely heavily on this feature.  It really sucks that this was taken out.  I end up having a large number (100+) shortcuts setup that I like the rapid launch rather than having to type/find or to add clicks by launching from the task bark.  The replacement I found is Desktop Sidebar (http://desktopsidebar.com/), which nestles nicely on the right side, is resizable, and has small 16 bit icons like I'm used to.
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 7:19 PM
  • THANK YOU

Thank you to whomever removed the entries (to this thread) that WERE here following after the item from 'Gear World' back on June, 3rd.  There were some items that it is quite pleasing & proper to see gone.

Kudos to someone
    Drew - MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues

Or @ the end of 2012.

Although, do not see this on the Feature List of Windows 8.  Nor having used Win8 for a while, do I find such a thing.  Where is it found in XP?  Maybe, you could save me firing up my XP vm; if I knew where to get this in XP, I could look for it in Windows8, since we know it's not in Windows7. 

Maybe, you could ask the Windows8 Build Team to add it, if it's not there, already.

I would give my THANK YOU and KUDOS if that same moderator (who deleted those apparent flaming posts) would now delete the 20+ posts from this one outspoken person who, after nearly 2 years in this thread, admits he is not even vaguely familiar with the topic.

I sure would like to see those deleted messages.  They probably add more value than what remains.

Just like Microsoft, to delete the good stuff and leave the rest unimproved.

Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:30 AM
  • To summarize the dock addons for Windows 7

Sevendeskbar

Nexus by Winstep

Rocketdock

http://www.bryntyounce.com/coolbarz.htm (what I am using now)

http://desktopsidebar.com/
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 2:17 AM