none
iPhone and Windows 7 RC don't work - DELL USB Chipset Issue RRS feed

• Question

• iPhone is a Dominant Design though ;-) Started to test Windows 7 and discovered that the iPhone and iTunes got a problem with it. Windows 7 wants to install the iPhone as MTP USB Device, which fails. iTunes want's to access the iPhone (responds with Error 0xE8000065) and starts to freeze. Unfortunately the Windows Media Player 12.0.1700.0 freezes as well.

I guess Apples Service and the MTP Protocol from Windows are fighting against? The MTP USB Device is always being tried to be installed by Windows 7, with no luck. Somebody has a solution for this?
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:45 PM

Answers

• Finally fixed it. I don't trust DELL internal USB HUB's.

I guess what happens is the following, the chipset of the DELL USB Hubs seems to add nonsense characters to the iPhone DeviceID (VID_05AC&PID_1292) in my case it added a 2nd Device plus "&MI_00" (VID_05AC&PID_1292&MI_00). Resulting in two devices being "connected". While this might be OK - I'm not a HW Person - it lead to Windows 7 believe the second is a standard MTP Device. Whilst the DeviceID has not been used for the second, I guess it run's over the deviclass (Class_06&SubClass_01&Prot_01).

So it's trying to install it as a 2nd MTP Device which then results in the protocol clash & timeouts between Apple USB Driver and Windows trying to speak over MTP.

In short:
    • Bought a VIA PCI USB 2.0 Host Adapter (Via Chipset)
    • Plugged my iPhone into it
    • Enjoy my music and other features.

Maybe my journey is of help to anybody.

I will now reinstall Windows Media Player and see if the problem is definately gone.
    • Marked as answer by oliveranthony Friday, August 21, 2009 3:04 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 12:46 PM

All replies

• just reproduced this on another PC with newly installed Windows 7 RC (Version    6.1.7100 Build 7100)

PC1: DELL XPS420
    PC2: DELL Dimension 5000 It can also happen that no error message appears (which would be at the time plugging the phone in). However the problem then occurs as soon as iTunes wants to initiate a copy operation.(Err: Timeout while attempting to copy)
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:07 PM
  • I discovered that there Windows 7 is always trying to install a "MTP USB Device". Interestingly, when I switch to a USB Hub, Windows 7 does not try to link the MTP USB Device to it. However that is only the first part.

If Windows Media Player is present on the Computer, there seems to be a protocol clash. If I have the iPhone connected over the USB Hub and I completely remove Windows Media Player over the Systems Panel (Turn Windows features off -> Media Features UNTICKED) and restarted, it works.

here in short:
    -Reinstall USB Apple Driver
    - Plug in iPhone, forcefully choose Apple Driver (instead of MTB USB Device)
    - Check in Control Panel if MTB USB Device is NOT present under "Portable devices"  (worked on my DELL XPS420 with using an USB Hub)
    - Completely turn off Windows Media Player Features (Control Panel - Programs - Turn on and off windows features - Media features UNTICKED)
    - Restart
    - Plugin iphone
    - use iTunes

However, the question will still be open...I don't think that de-installing Windows Media Player is a valuable option? :-) I guess Windows 7 struggles with the DeviceID and WMP/iTunes struggles with using MTP vs. Apple Device Driver...
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 4:14 PM
  • now I'm completely confused... I tested with 2-4 files, it worked. If you want to synch 150 song's, you got back the initial problem. This IS a protocol issue.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Finally fixed it. I don't trust DELL internal USB HUB's.

I guess what happens is the following, the chipset of the DELL USB Hubs seems to add nonsense characters to the iPhone DeviceID (VID_05AC&PID_1292) in my case it added a 2nd Device plus "&MI_00" (VID_05AC&PID_1292&MI_00). Resulting in two devices being "connected". While this might be OK - I'm not a HW Person - it lead to Windows 7 believe the second is a standard MTP Device. Whilst the DeviceID has not been used for the second, I guess it run's over the deviclass (Class_06&SubClass_01&Prot_01).

So it's trying to install it as a 2nd MTP Device which then results in the protocol clash & timeouts between Apple USB Driver and Windows trying to speak over MTP.

In short:
    • Bought a VIA PCI USB 2.0 Host Adapter (Via Chipset)
    • Plugged my iPhone into it
    • Enjoy my music and other features.

Maybe my journey is of help to anybody.

I will now reinstall Windows Media Player and see if the problem is definately gone.
    • Marked as answer by oliveranthony Friday, August 21, 2009 3:04 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 12:46 PM
  • Windows Media Player reinstalled, Synched ~800 Podcasts. Everything is fine. The alternative USB Chipset (from VIA) in the PCI USB Host Adapter did the trick. I don't know if this is only a chipset issue or Windows 7 in connection with this specific USB built-in chipset in DELL XPS420.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 2:58 PM
  • Actually all you have to do is connect the iPhone, let the MTU driver installation fail, then go into the device manager and uninstall the unknown MTU device. If you then scan for new hardware from the device manager it should recognize the iPhone. It worked for me anyway.
    • Proposed as answer by Colincbn Sunday, September 13, 2009 5:54 PM
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 5:54 PM
  • Colincbn,

This worked brilliantly for me.  Thanks!

Friday, September 18, 2009 9:49 PM
  • Where do you find the unknown MTU device, I looked all throughout my device manager and found no unknown MTU device.  So where is it located in the device manager?
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:53 AM
  • did you ever get it fixed no clemency, i am having this very problem but am unable to do anything about it as the camera part of my Iphone installs but the MTU still tries to install when i want to sync meaning there is no unkown MTU device to shut the damn thing up.Any help would be much appreciated
    Friday, April 9, 2010 12:50 AM
  • Worked for me as well. Thank you.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:32 AM
  • This worked for me.  So simple.
    Monday, May 31, 2010 2:14 PM
  • Hi to all,
    Thank u for your input, unfortunately all these things didnt work for me.

I’m using a dell studio XPS 435MT with W7 ultimate 64, latest Itunes and 3G, 3GS and 4G Iphones. The problem was the same an all phones !!
    I tried the camera roll stuff, deleting drivers, scan hardware change and all those ideas and nothing worked.
    I FINALLY found what to do.

The MTB USB problem is due to the fact that Windows chooses that driver instead of usb iphne driver.

BEFORE DOING THIS MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR REGESTRY. (in regedit, File >> export)

To “tell” windows not to chose MTB USB driver do the following :
    - run regedit
    - find “{EEC5AD98-8080-425F-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}” under hkeylocalmachine > system>current control set>control>class
    - click on the “{EEC5AD98-8080-425F-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}” on the left side of the window.
    - appears on the right side differnt things. Right click on “upper something” and click delete.
    - unplug iphone (have at least 1 photo on your iphone)
    - restart computer
    - plug in Iphone and the camera roll apears !

Hope this helps !!

• Proposed as answer by Afifs Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:44 PM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 12:12 PM
  • ThalmusGB, your solution worked for me - nothing else from above. Thanks!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:44 PM
  • After lots of searching, this is the only thing that has worked.

Thank you Thalmus.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:24 PM
  • Worked!!

Out of everything else, this a must!!

Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:28 PM
  • In the register key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{EEC5AD98-8080-425F-922A-DABF3DE3F69A} delete record UpperFilters. Connect the problem device and all works! Also work for other photo device like photocameras CANON... MTP Device error iphone canon
    • Proposed as answer by pelaez leonel Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:07 PM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:42 AM
  • Hi,

I couldn't find UpperFilter in the right Pane please help

Saturday, November 26, 2011 11:25 AM
  • hi oliver 

this is eng jack wish to ask u if u have a media player working on iphone , i tried to search the web for windows media player or real player which could work on iphone ,didnt find any thing , also the softonic company made a compatable flash player to work on iphone but itunes block it to download 

could u help in this issue 

apple dont have a player to play videos to force customers to buy ipod for music , so it is kind of domination , microsoft should solve this problem for people 

willw ait for ur reply 

best rgds 

eng jack 

ahinc@tedata.net.eg

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:55 AM
  • This worked. Thanks!
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:44 AM