WDS on 2008R2: Sorting images list RRS feed

• Question

• Running 2008R2 WDS. I have two questions

a) Is there a way to sort the list of images presented to clients? I'd love to be able to sort the list by any of the columns available. It can't be done by the clients themselves.

b) Even when choosing X86 image deployment, clients are still shown both x86 and X64 images. This didn't use to happen when running WDS on 2003R2 w/ a WinPE3 boot wim. I've tried fooling with the wdsutil command line options for architecturediscovery and defaultboot types for x64 to no avail.

Please advise, we have a lot of images!
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:49 PM

All replies

• a) There isn't a way to sort the install image list in the default WDS scenario. However, if you have time you could write your own version of setup.exe that does sort the image list, using the WDS client API. See here for more details: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb530731(VS.85).aspx

b) ArchitectureDiscovery and DefaultX86X64ImageType both only apply to boot images. There isn't a way to prevent X64 install images from being displayed to X86 clients. Again, you could write your own client to do this using the API listed above.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:17 AM
  • Try Deployment Toolkit. You can setup permission based image sorting.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:15 PM