none
Windows Media Player 12 Playlist Problem

Question

• Hi, I created a playlist in media player, and when I deleted it from the player and the hard drive, something like a "ghost" file showed up in media player. It comes up like an audio file, but no information is embedded, I think it has something to do with the deleting of the playlist, since it popped up only when I did that, need some help getting rid of the "ghost" file. Any ideas? Here's a screenshot:

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 4:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Nicholas,

I figured it out, it was the "Retrieve additional information from the internet" option in the library tab. I unchecked it and it no longer detects the "ghost" file, I don't know if this is a bug or something. So thanks again for all the help, cheers.
    Monday, June 08, 2009 12:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Based on my research, please try the following to check the issue:

1.    I suspect the directory which Media Player stores data may contain corrupted files. Please go to the following directory and remove all the files in the folder and then re-create the playlist to see if the issue will reoccur:

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player

Note: Please backup the contents of the directory first.

2.    Check if the media directory contained corrupted files or “Unknown” items.

In Windows Media Player, go to Library, right-click on “Music” and select “Manage Music Library”. In the Music Library Locations dialog box, there are some paths. Please go to the directories one by one and check if there are any other files except your media files. If so, please remove it and check if the “Unknown” item still exists.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 7:57 AM
  • Hi, I tried both of the suggestions, but still no progress.
    I even deleted the playlist folder, that ghost file just won't go away.
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 10:40 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

At this time, please try the following:

Right-click the Unknown item in Windows Media Player, and select “Open File Location”. Then, if the directory which stores this file appears, please try to find the item and remove it.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, June 05, 2009 12:40 AM
  • Hi,

Here's the menu I get when I right-click on the file:

Delete does nothing, and I can't Edit anything either.

When I click Properties, this show up:

I don't see what could be causing this.
    Friday, June 05, 2009 3:01 AM
  • Please right-click the “Unknown Album” icon and then you can see the item “Open File Location” on the menu.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, June 05, 2009 6:46 AM
  • When I right click the "Unknown Album" icon, I'm not seeing the "Open File Location" option. I'm getting basically the same options when I right click on the file itself along with two new options "Save as auto playlist" and "Update album info", neither of those options do anything however.
    Friday, June 05, 2009 2:22 PM
  • I dont find "now playing" playlist, its was very usefull in wmp10.
    Friday, June 05, 2009 3:19 PM
  • temmt,

Click the 'Play' tab (or press control and 3)... that shows me the currently playing items.
    Saturday, June 06, 2009 2:00 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi bbmarin,

Just for a test, click on “Organize”, then select “Manage Libraries”, select “Music” and remove all the locations and see if the "Unknown Album" will disappear.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, June 08, 2009 3:49 AM
  • Hi Nicholas,

I figured it out, it was the "Retrieve additional information from the internet" option in the library tab. I unchecked it and it no longer detects the "ghost" file, I don't know if this is a bug or something. So thanks again for all the help, cheers.
    Monday, June 08, 2009 12:22 PM
  • Hi,

I am very glad to know the good news, cheers! Your efforts on this issue are highly appreciated.

If you need some help in the future, please feel free to post a new thread in our forum and we will respond as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 10:46 AM
  • Hi all,

I have the same issue with WMP12.  Periodically I will find an "unknown album" in my music collection that I cannot delete.  The only way I get rid of it is to delete and rebuild the music library, but then it eventually comes back..  I also think it is due to a bug in that part of WMP12 which updates metadata.  However, I do not think the above answer is a solution - it is a workaround.  I for one would like to have WMP12 update missing metadata.

Other people (on other forums) seem to have had the same bug but I gather it has been fixed in later leaked W7 releases.  I assume therefore that Microsoft know of this bug and have fixed it, but is there any way to check this?  What is the official Microsoft channel for reporting bugs?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Friday, June 12, 2009 4:22 PM