none
Windows can't activate with this product key 0x8007010b RRS feed

• Question

• Simple question first. I'll elaborate if needed. As the title says, I cannot activate Windows 10 with my product key. I do have a legit, recently purchased, product key. Long story short, in order to get Windows 10 up on this computer I did an image restore from another running computer which, of course, had it's own product key. I assumed I'd be able to enter the new key when I booted the new computer, but no. I get the aforementioned error.

How do I fix this and activate with my new key?

Monday, October 21, 2019 5:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you want to Create Windows 10 installation media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Activate Windows 10 with Telephone:

https://www.prrcomputers.com/blog/activate-windows-10-telephone/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Hope above information can help you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by jmarkfoley Wednesday, October 23, 2019 3:42 PM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2019 7:16 AM
  • Farena: Thanks for the post on downloading and creating Windows 10 installation media. I have one more computer that will need to be installed as a VM and won't work with the USB. I'll definitely try that idea on that computer.

Meanwhile, I was able to get my troublesome Windows 10 activated. Here's the process:

As mentioned, I was not able to get the "Activate by Phone" link to do anything at all. I could click it till the cows came home and nothing happened. So, I ran 'slui 4' at a command line as Administrator. After selecting my Country, it brought up the "Call and provide your installation ID" dialog, which is what clicking on the "Activate by Phone" link is supposed to do. This dialog has a phone number and the Installation ID consisting of 9 seven digit numbers.

Next problem: I've used this by-phone installation ID process numerous times in the past to install sunsetted Office 2010 and it worked just fine. This time not so much. The automated phone dialog asked a series of question to try and determine your issue. However, I was never able to get it to send me the cell phone link where I could enter my Installation ID. It always referred me the the Activation page, or the Trouble Shooting page (neither of which worked or I wouldn't be here!) or told me to stand by for a Microsoft Tech to get on the line -- for which I had no patience.

The link that I'm eventually supposed to get on my cell phone is http://m.vivr.io/ohMiFKP which takes me to a Microsoft Product Activation page. There, I entered the Installation ID as per normal.

This activates the Windows 10, but now I supposedly have two computers activated with the same key. However, I can now go to Control Panel > System > Change Product Key, enter the correct new Windows 10 Key and now it takes!

• Marked as answer by jmarkfoley Wednesday, October 23, 2019 4:08 PM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2019 4:08 PM

All replies

• What version of Windows 10 is the product key for and what version did you download? Use the Winver command for quick access to the info. 

-Aaron

Monday, October 21, 2019 5:52 PM
  • I didn't download it. I bought an installation USB at the local computer store. It is for Windows 10 Pro, which is also the version I used for the restore. I bought the Win10 Pro for the source/restore computer at the same store a couple of weeks ago.

More info: I am installing this Win10 Pro as a virtual machine under a Linux host. I've done this before, but using a DVD. I was able to install using the USB, but that ended up requiring me to always have the USB stick inserted in the machine. I did activate that installation.

After finding out that I always needed the USB inserted to boot the VM, I wiped that installation and did the image restore of a different WIN10 computer to the VM and that worked fine except for this activation issue. The source WIN10 computer for the restore was also installed a week or so ago and is the same version.

winver is 10 Pro, build 1809 (OS Build 17763.805)

Monday, October 21, 2019 9:39 PM
  • Hi jmarkfoley,

I'm afraid it seems you're using two computers in one license.
    Windows 10 up on this computer I did an image restore from another running computer

I suppose the "another running compute" has many application software which require license.
    So, you need license for each application, more than license of Windows 10.
    # As far as about your question, try to "install" Windows 10, instead of changing key via Settings.
    Regards,

Ashidacchi -- http://hokusosha.com

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 12:51 AM
  • Hi,

Since you did an image restore from another running computer which had its own product key.

You can't use the new product key with the old OEM image.

You can use the key you bought, in conjunction with the fresh install again.

You may have to activate via phone.

For your reference:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activate

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 2:28 AM
  • Hello,

What is the source of your Windows 10 license? Is it from authorized reseller?

Note that you can can't use same product key on two installations. For new installation, you'll need new product key.

Please run Activation Troubleshooter:

1. Open Settings app, navigate to Update & security > Activation.

2. Click on Troubleshoot link to launch Activation troubleshooter.

3. The troubleshooter will automatically detect the issue and fix it.

See if this helps you! 

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 4:39 AM
  • Kapil.Arya: yes, this Windows 10 was purchased from a legitimate source, a local MicroCenter store. We've already bought a dozen Windows 10 installation Flash drives from them and installed on other computers in the office.

The Activation Troubleshooter gives, "Something interrupted out troublshooting. Make sure you're connected to the Internet, wait few minutes, and try again. (0x80070520)". I've run it several times and always get this message.

"Note that you can can't use same product key on two installations. For new installation, you'll need new product key."

Yes, I know that. That's why I'm trying to change the key on the new system.

Farena: You wrote, "Since you did an image restore from another running computer which had its own product key.

You can't use the new product key with the old OEM image."

According to the sales tech at MicroCenter, this USB stick version is supposedly able to be [re]installable on different hardware. They have two versions for sale, one which ends up essentially tied to the hardware/motherboard, and another that can be reinstalled on different hardware. This Installation USB is supposedly the latter.

"You can use the key you bought, in conjunction with the fresh install again."

Unfortunately, I am unable to install from USB on this machine. Is there a way to "copy" the USB to a DVD?

"You may have to activate via phone."

It looks like that's my next step.

Later ...

Actually, I just tried clicking on "Activate by Phone". Nothing happens at all. Does anyone have a phone number?

• Edited by jmarkfoley Tuesday, October 22, 2019 5:05 AM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2019 4:55 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to Create Windows 10 installation media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Activate Windows 10 with Telephone:

https://www.prrcomputers.com/blog/activate-windows-10-telephone/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

• Marked as answer by jmarkfoley Wednesday, October 23, 2019 3:42 PM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2019 7:16 AM
  • Farena: Thanks for the post on downloading and creating Windows 10 installation media. I have one more computer that will need to be installed as a VM and won't work with the USB. I'll definitely try that idea on that computer.

Meanwhile, I was able to get my troublesome Windows 10 activated. Here's the process:

As mentioned, I was not able to get the "Activate by Phone" link to do anything at all. I could click it till the cows came home and nothing happened. So, I ran 'slui 4' at a command line as Administrator. After selecting my Country, it brought up the "Call and provide your installation ID" dialog, which is what clicking on the "Activate by Phone" link is supposed to do. This dialog has a phone number and the Installation ID consisting of 9 seven digit numbers.

Next problem: I've used this by-phone installation ID process numerous times in the past to install sunsetted Office 2010 and it worked just fine. This time not so much. The automated phone dialog asked a series of question to try and determine your issue. However, I was never able to get it to send me the cell phone link where I could enter my Installation ID. It always referred me the the Activation page, or the Trouble Shooting page (neither of which worked or I wouldn't be here!) or told me to stand by for a Microsoft Tech to get on the line -- for which I had no patience.

The link that I'm eventually supposed to get on my cell phone is http://m.vivr.io/ohMiFKP which takes me to a Microsoft Product Activation page. There, I entered the Installation ID as per normal.

This activates the Windows 10, but now I supposedly have two computers activated with the same key. However, I can now go to Control Panel > System > Change Product Key, enter the correct new Windows 10 Key and now it takes!

• Marked as answer by jmarkfoley Wednesday, October 23, 2019 4:08 PM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2019 4:08 PM