none
W10 system hangs on Sleep/Updates. RRS feed

• Question

• I am running W10.1803.17134.228 X64 Professional.  On a few occasions my system has hung during Sleep.  While sleeping the power light normally blinks but a few times I have found the power light on solid.  I cannot wake my system and must reset or power it down and boot.  On boot I get a message saying Windows is completing Updates and do not power down.  The percent complete counts up and W10 boots up OK.  Somehow W10 has decided to update and hang during Sleep.  I have found in Local Group Policy-Local Computer Policy-Computer Configuration-Administrative Templates-Windows Components-Windows Update-please see image.  This looks really old; does it apply to W10 and Sleep?  It looks like what I need to stop the hang but does does not look applicable as written.  What other solutions do I have to this problem?  Thanks much and enjoy, John.

Sunday, August 19, 2018 4:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates
    Specifies whether the Windows Update will use the Windows Power Management features to automatically wake up the system from hibernation, if there are updates scheduled for installation.
    It is supported on: Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Vista. I don't think it can be used in Windows 10 but you can just have a try. Disable it then see if it works.

Also, I would suggest you running the Power troubleshooter which can automatically detect and fix most of the incorrect settings that could cause power related issues. Open Control Panel, click on the 'View by' option on the top right and change it to Large icons. Click 'Troubleshooting' and then click on the option 'View all' in the left pane. Click on the power troubleshooter and run.

In addition, please check if the problem appears in Safe Mode.
    If it happens in Safe Mode, use SFC to check if there is any corrupted system files
    SFC /SCANNOW
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us
    If it doesn't happen in Safe Mode, I suggest you to perform clean boot and check, using this Microsoft Article because may be a third party application is causing this issue.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

If the issue still persists, try updating the Display driver from computer manufacturer's website.

Hope these could be helpful.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 20, 2018 12:01 PM
  • Thank you for your response, David_Ding2018.  Unfortunately it is not useful and does not answer my questions.  I am not impressed with MS's canned answers like run SFC /SCANNOW.  I have asked the following specific questions which I would like specific and definitive answers:

1. Does "Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates" work for Sleep as well as Hibernate?

2. Does "Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates" apply to W10?

I will add one additional question:

3. Can I totally and absolutely stop all Windows updates?

I know it is not a good idea to disable updates but I will DL the appropriate Delta from Microsoft Update Catalog and apply them manually.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

Monday, August 20, 2018 2:44 PM
  • Hi,

1.Does "Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates" work for Sleep as well as Hibernate?

"Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates" works only for Hibernate.

2.Does "Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates" apply to W10?

It is supported on: Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Vista. So it doesn’t apply to Windows 10.

3.Can I totally and absolutely stop all Windows updates?

You can turn off Windows Update but it is not recommended.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 6, 2018 10:36 AM