DCOM RunTime Broker Default Variables RRS feed

• Question

• I was getting error in event log DCOM:10006. Followed directions to take control of 2 reg keys and give Administrators FC.  AppID    9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
    ClassID    {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
    Then went to DCOM-Runtime Broker.  Here is where problem started.  Changed the Launch and Activation Permissions, Access Permissions, Configuration Permissions.  Instead of choosing Cancel, then adding Administrators I removed existing rights.  

Now I now longer have access to the right click menu items.  Run As Admin and others.  I also cannot use the GUI to logoff or shutdown.  This is reproducible on a DC, not sure on others. 

My question is how to restore the default configuration back for this DCOM item and get the right click menu back.  I have tried exporting this reg key into the broken server (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBrokerSvc) but it did not import the whole key or give the right click back.  Any ideas? 

Saturday, May 30, 2020 5:08 PM

All replies

• HI
    0.can you enter winver in command prompt on issue server and look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]

1"My question is how to restore the default configuration back for this DCOM item and get the right click menu back."
    can you give a picture to explain your issue ?

2.did your issue happen on Domain control server ?
    3."
    I also cannot use the GUI to logoff or shutdown."
    do you mean there is no shutdown button on DC server ? 

4.we can use below link method to verify your technet forum account so that you can post picture and website link. Please make sure that the pictures you post do not contain your company and your private information (including but not limited to domain name, public IP, email account, domain account, etc.). These private information must be altered.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5c00b9a9-3afe-4ee9-bbf0-34157716b92a/verify-my-account?forum=reportabug

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 6:41 AM
  • Hi Andy

The issue did happen on a DC.  The machine is running a current patched version of Server 2016.  I can reproduce the issue on virtual servers acting as a DC also running server 2016, patched and unpatched. 

The issue is you no longer have access to the right click menu.  Specifically when you right click on something the more-> option is not longer present.   You cannot use "pin to taskbar", "Run as administrator" or "Open file location".  Also when you click on the start button and the list comes up, you cannot click on the user , to logout,switch, lock, or when clicking on the power button, you are just returned to the desktop.  You have to do it all from cmd prompt.   

What is interesting is it only happens for the user, an administrator, and none of the other administrators. The server seems to be running fine except the issue for the one administrator.  I have not fully tested this, I will be investigating the implications further, in regards to security and functionality in the coming days.        

Any info you can suggest would be great.  Thank you for your time. 

Friday, June 5, 2020 11:38 AM
  • HI

Thanks for your reply ,I am reaching it thanks for your waiting.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 3:29 PM