none
0x000005b3 and 0x000003eb errors when installing HP 3550n LaserJet printer.

Question

• I have spent days now trying to get this thing working in Vista Home Premium but to no avail.

The printer is already installed on several XP machines, naturally there were no problems installing them on those.

The printer is a network printer connected directly to a switch, i.e not shared from another XP machine.

When using the add printer wizard in Vista, I keep getting errors when waiting for the printer to be installed:

Printer driver was not installed. Operation could not be completed (0x000005b3)

or

Unable to install printer. Operation could not be completed (0x000003eb)

It doesn't matter if I choose to install it using the ip of the printer or chosing to install a local printer (to change the port settings to the ip afterwards), I just keep getting these error messages. Running the installation as administrator doesn't help either.

The HP support-person was able to install it on his Vista machine as a local LPT1 printer (and the change port settings afterwards) without any problems he said, but it doesn't work for me.

I have also tried the "HP Install Network printer Wizard", it locates the printer, it choose the correct drivers, it starts installing it, and ends up with "Operation could not be completed (0x000003eb)".

It has nothing to do with the printer itself as the errors occur even if I choose to install it as a local LPT1.

Please, please, please, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Friday, March 21, 2008 8:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

it seems to be a problem with your driver (co-installer).You should contact again your vendor.

Driver Package Compatibility for Windows Vista

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/c/5/9c5b2167-8017-4bae-9fde-d599bac8184a/DrvPkg_Errors.doc

Issue:

dvi:      {DIF_INSTALLDEVICE} 11:02:29.804

dvi:           CoInstaller 1: Enter 11:02:29.804

!!!  dvi:           CoInstaller 1: failed(0x000005b3)!

!!!  dvi:           Error 1459: This operation requires an interactive window station.

dvi:      {DIF_INSTALLDEVICE - exit(0x000005b3)} 11:02:29.804

dvi:      {DIF_DESTROYPRIVATEDATA} 11:02:29.820

dvi:           CoInstaller 1: Enter 11:02:29.820

dvi:           CoInstaller 1: Exit

dvi:           Class installer: Enter 11:02:29.835

dvi:           Class installer: Exit

dvi:           Default installer: Enter 11:02:29.835

dvi:           Default installer: Exit

dvi:      {DIF_DESTROYPRIVATEDATA - exit(0xe000020e)} 11:02:29.835

ump:      Server install process exited with code 0x000005b3 11:02:29.835

ump: {Plug and Play Service: Device Install exit(000005b3)}

Solution:

Solve the root cause problem that requires an interactive window station. (The problem might be an I/O problem, a File Access denied problem, and so on.)  Co‑installers cannot require an interactive window station outside a finish-install action or finish-install page. Ensure that the co‑installer uses a finish-install action or a finish-install page to show UI.

For diagnosing the co‑install error details, see Debugging Device Installation in Windows Vista, available online at: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/install/diagnose.mspx

Regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Friday, March 21, 2008 11:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

it seems to be a problem with your driver (co-installer).You should contact again your vendor.

Driver Package Compatibility for Windows Vista

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/c/5/9c5b2167-8017-4bae-9fde-d599bac8184a/DrvPkg_Errors.doc

Issue:

dvi:      {DIF_INSTALLDEVICE} 11:02:29.804

dvi:           CoInstaller 1: Enter 11:02:29.804

!!!  dvi:           CoInstaller 1: failed(0x000005b3)!

!!!  dvi:           Error 1459: This operation requires an interactive window station.

dvi:      {DIF_INSTALLDEVICE - exit(0x000005b3)} 11:02:29.804

dvi:      {DIF_DESTROYPRIVATEDATA} 11:02:29.820

dvi:           CoInstaller 1: Enter 11:02:29.820

dvi:           CoInstaller 1: Exit

dvi:           Class installer: Enter 11:02:29.835

dvi:           Class installer: Exit

dvi:           Default installer: Enter 11:02:29.835

dvi:           Default installer: Exit

dvi:      {DIF_DESTROYPRIVATEDATA - exit(0xe000020e)} 11:02:29.835

ump:      Server install process exited with code 0x000005b3 11:02:29.835

ump: {Plug and Play Service: Device Install exit(000005b3)}

Solution:

Solve the root cause problem that requires an interactive window station. (The problem might be an I/O problem, a File Access denied problem, and so on.)  Co‑installers cannot require an interactive window station outside a finish-install action or finish-install page. Ensure that the co‑installer uses a finish-install action or a finish-install page to show UI.

For diagnosing the co‑install error details, see Debugging Device Installation in Windows Vista, available online at: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/install/diagnose.mspx

Regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Friday, March 21, 2008 11:51 PM
  • One additional thing !

a user on a different forum is pointing to the following possibility.I do not know if this matches with you situation.Hope it helps.

http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=22:70739

This may happen if you have bought a machine with Vista preinstalled and on which you, when finalizing the installation, are presented with multiple language choices and your chosen language doesn’t mach your keyboard choice. E.g. you chose English language for the OS and e.g. a Swedish keyboard during the initial install process.
    There is a workaround however. During the first important initial installation you chose the OS language and matching keyboard layout, in this example English OS and English keyboard. In another example you would chose Swedish language OS and the matching Swedish keyboard.

Then, after finalizing the installation; in this example add the Swedish keyboard, making it the default. To do so launch Regional and Language Options from Control Panel, click the Keyboards and Languages tab, and click Change Keyboard.

Regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Saturday, March 22, 2008 12:10 AM
  • Hi Cengiz,

Thanks for your input.

The computer in question is a new HP laptop with Vista pre-installed, English OS with Swedish keyboard layout. Does this mean i have to completely reinstall Vista to test the keyboard idea, or can I just delete the English keyboard layout and only keep Swedish? I don't have it in front of me but will try this soon.

Thanks and if you can think of anything else please let me know!
    Monday, March 24, 2008 6:48 PM
  • Hi,

my understanding of this solution wich is provided is the same like yours.Completely reinstalling the operating system.In the meantime would suggest you to also open an support request at HP.

Maybe it is a known issue at HP.

Regards,

Cengiz Kuskaya

Friday, March 28, 2008 11:41 PM
  • Hi, 

Today i had the same problem with a customer: It was not possible to install the HP Universal Driver PCL 6 driver or any other HP driver, errormessage: 0x000005b3

The same message appeared on the printserver, when i tried to push the driver to the client. After some research, this error message means "This operation requires an interactive window station", in other words, the co-installer of the driver wants to tell you that an error occured (but since vista, services are not allowed to interact with the desktop, and so the message is suppressed), or the driver was poorly programmed.
    I checked the setupapi.app.log in %windir%\inf and there was an errormessage like "pqf copyabort", so it seems that the copyqueue was stopped from external (maybe the co-installer).
    After that i checked the installation procedure with procmon and there occured some "Name Collision" entries in %windir%\system32, something like %windir%\system32\SET4A21 about 60 times or more... then i checked the system32 folder: Holy ****, the suspicious number of 65536(2^16) files with the filepattern SET1.tmp - SETFFFF.tmp, ~500kb a piece!
    Another installation-process or something else created this bunch of files and the co-installer couldn't create a tmp file for himself... i deleted them and voila, the driver installation succeded.
    So if you run in such 0x000005b3, try to figure out what the co-installer of the driver does and analyze it with procmon and check the setupapi.app.log
    check the permissions of the folders also...

Regards, 
    georg

• Proposed as answer by O IT Saturday, July 30, 2011 12:14 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 3:13 PM
  • @GRothensteiner: Thank you - I spent hours in finding a solution for that error on our terminalserver. here 77k an 30gb - wondering that nobody realized hungry system before...

Saturday, July 30, 2011 12:19 AM
  • Yes! this was it for us.   We 4 2008r2 RDS Session Host server, on one of them all of the sudden no HP printers would populate for users.   and I could not add any HP printers.  Sure enough dir set*.tmp in system32 showed 65535 files ~ 32gb worth!!   The naming convention was partly based on hex I think, so it just ran out, and stopped allowing anything to do with HP drivers.   We have an x64 server 2008r2 print server w/ hp upd 61.112.1.9321 installed.  this is the driver that is on all our RDS hosts, printers are pushed via GPO.  others must be having this problem.  I wonder if HP has fixed it, or if we're doing something wrong.   

I think every time a user signs in, for each HP printer a setxxxx.tmp file is created.    512k.   that sucks!    I'm just so glad I found the answer here.   I hope others find it.

this is my first post here.  

Sunday, October 09, 2011 12:39 AM
  • Thank you so much for posting this, I've had a customer with a ts box down for 2 days.  Their IT staff couldnt figure it out, I had been looking into this for a couple of hours and starting googling like crazy.  Your post saved the day, thanks again.
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:35 PM
  • Why did I not find this earlier? I had 0x00000002 errors installing PCL5 drivers for a network printer.

You information helped me to find out the problem and finally solved the problem!

Thx!

David

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:48 PM
  • @Grothensteiner

Thank you, Georg. This was most assuredly the solution to my problem. 

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Thank you Georg. While not exactly the same error you pointed me to the error and solution.

2008 R2 RDP Servers running XenApp 6.5. Users complaining they could not connect to HP network printers hosted on our 2008 R2 print server.

Windows Cannot Connect to the Printer. Operation could not be Completed (Error
    0x000005b3)

I checked in the %windir%/inf folder and opened the setupapi.app. At the end of the logs these errors were recorded:

!!!  flq: Error installing file (0x00000002)
    !!!  flq: Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
    !    flq: SourceFile   - 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpcu112t.inf_amd64_neutral_6c3eaf0bbc44d445\hpc5r112.dll'
    !    flq: TargetFile   - 'C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\{65631F09-078A-4382-8283-7B4C4519CBFA}\hpc5r112.dll'
    !!!  flq: SPFQNOTIFY_COPYERROR: returned SPFQOPERATION_ABORT.
    !!!  flq: Error 1459: This operation requires an interactive window station.
    !!!  flq: FileQueueCommit aborting!
    !!!  flq: Error 1459: This operation requires an interactive window station.

I checked the location specified and the requested dll did not exist at source. When I checked the security of the parent folder I received an error regarding ordering. I had to take ownership of the folder and reapplied the correct security plus add my account so I could repair the ordering and copy the missing files (there was more than the one logged) into the folder.

Users were then able to connect to the HP printers which were using the HP Universal print driver.

We have a powershell script which copies all print drivers from a source to XenApp server to all other XenApp servers in the farm. I'm not sure what caused the print driver files to go missing but at least I know how to fix it!

Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by K.Matusiak Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:22 AM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 5:30 AM
  • @GRothensteiner

Perfect! After hours of searching this was finally the solution. I had the exact same number of files (65536) but mine were only 303kb a piece. Still it amounted to almost 19GB of total space! I know you posted this over a year ago but it still works! Thanks!
    • Edited by Bonzai00 Tuesday, September 25, 2012 8:01 PM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 8:00 PM
  • I found a similar resolution.

i noted that the folder system32\driverstore\temp had files for the printer I was trying to install.

Took a punt and since the folder was a temp folder, assigned administrator ownership, gave all full control, emptied it out and reinstalled the driver and it worked perfectly.

Couldn't find a set* or similar folder anywhere, but searched for tmp files and noted the above folder contained setxxx.tmp files

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:00 AM
  • Thanks Georg,

this problem occurred to one of my users on our company when he tried to install a printerqueue and me too aswell. The solution was to deleta all setxxx.tmp files under c:\windows\system32. This saved me alot of work.

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Solution proposed by dfriedrich worked for me. I had issues connecting a w7 64 workstation to a shared printed that was using HP Universal Print Driver. I have ended up deleting the C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpcu112t.inf_amd64_neutral_6c3eaf0bbc44d445 folder on the machine what had issues and copied this folder froma a machine that was working OK and the printer installed correctly. 
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:25 AM