none
Adaptec SCSI Drivers (29160) Availability for Windows 7?

Question

• Attempting to "clean" install Windows 7 on SCSI Hard Disks, via Adaptec 29160 controller.

The install doesn't 'see' the SCSI controller.
    I'm assuming its a driver issue.
    The installation cannot proceed.

Can the Vista Driver be used? Or do I need a Windows 7 specific SCSI driver?

If the Vista SCSI driver can be used how does one use the Vista driver with a "Clean" install?

Thanks in advance...

Bill -

• Moved by OthorvathMVP, Moderator Friday, January 16, 2009 11:12 PM (Moved from Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment to Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility)
    Friday, January 16, 2009 9:32 PM

Answers

• Hello Bill,

You may be one of the many that will have to wait for Windows 7 to be released so these vendors can make sure that it is not the driver support.  Sorry to say but most of my interaction with Dell and a couple other vendors like Creative have said the same thing.  That it was not the hardware fault but the fault of something in Windows 7.  But yet with a few work around i got all my hardware working now.  So it appears that it was drivers.  At least on my end.

It may be Windows 7 doesnt like SCSI drives at this time.  It may not allow for a install directly to them.  I can not speak for sure on this matter.  But since you can not get it installed i will submit feedback giving them all the information you just posted up.  That way Microsoft can work and see if it is something in Windows that is preventing it from installing and get it corrected in later builds.

Here is a screenshot for you just to show you that i did send it for you.

Photobucket

Regards,

~Alex T.~
    ~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:55 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Check out this thread.  They have a solution that might work for you as well.

Regards,

~Alex T.~
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:08 AM
  • The proposed solution does not work in my case.
    I spent several hours with both Dell and Adaptec Technical Support troubleshooting this issue.

Both vendors were confident that the "hardware" was not at fault.
    In my environment, I do not have another "disk controller" to install through/to, so the "proposed solution" does not work for me.

Trying to clean install the 32Bit Version - copied the Adaptec 29160 drivers from a "Working Install" of Vista Ultimate.  Driver Files: adpu160m.sys & adpu160m.inf  The load driver option appears to load the driver and then "sees" the disk - below are the exact "error" messages that I receive, and I'm stopped dead in my tracks - NO INSTALL...

Windows cannot be installed to this disk.  This computer’s hardware may not support booting to this disk.  Ensure that the disk’s controller is enabled in the computer’s BIOS menu.

Disk  0  Unallocated Space    279.4 GB

Failed to create a new partition on the selected unused space. [Error: 0x80004005]

Thanks in Advance...

Bill -

Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:54 PM
  • Hello Bill,

You may be one of the many that will have to wait for Windows 7 to be released so these vendors can make sure that it is not the driver support.  Sorry to say but most of my interaction with Dell and a couple other vendors like Creative have said the same thing.  That it was not the hardware fault but the fault of something in Windows 7.  But yet with a few work around i got all my hardware working now.  So it appears that it was drivers.  At least on my end.

It may be Windows 7 doesnt like SCSI drives at this time.  It may not allow for a install directly to them.  I can not speak for sure on this matter.  But since you can not get it installed i will submit feedback giving them all the information you just posted up.  That way Microsoft can work and see if it is something in Windows that is preventing it from installing and get it corrected in later builds.

Here is a screenshot for you just to show you that i did send it for you.

Photobucket

Regards,

~Alex T.~
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Awesome - Thanks Alex for sending the Issue to Microsoft for review.

I too think it's drivers...  Very frustrating...

Thanks again - If you hear of anyone getting this scenario to work - I'd appreciate the feedback...

Bill Billmire -
    bbillmire at hotmail dot com

Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Hello Bill,

Glad i could at least submit the feedback for you.  If i get any news from them on this matter i will make sure to send you a email with the information provided on this situation.  As well as let you know if there are any other options available.

Regards,

~Alex T.~
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:25 PM
  • There is some more dialogue on how to get this card to work with the beta here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/2145-adaptec-29160-driver-not-installed-how-2.html

My install is on a SATA drive, but I wanted Win7 to see my SCSI hard drive and dvd drive, so I just installed the 64 bit vista drivers that are posted in this thread and now I can use the SCSI attached devices in win7.
    • Proposed as answer by Malnu Friday, July 31, 2009 12:01 AM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:29 PM
  • Yeah - I saw this forum/post - it does not work for me.  Really looking for a 32-bit solution.
    Anyone have the 32-Bit Adaptec 29160 drivers that have worked for Windows 7 installation?

TIA...

Bill -

Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:44 PM
  • I was able to install 32bit 29160n driver for windows 7 x86 but unable to locate a 64bit driver for win 7 64bit.

32bit 29160n drivers was obtained from adaptec site using win 2000 driver. Try it...
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:02 AM
  • I was able to install 32bit 29160n driver for windows 7 x86 but unable to locate a 64bit driver for win 7 64bit.

32bit 29160n drivers was obtained from adaptec site using win 2000 driver. Try it...
    This did not work for me.  I have tried several drivers from the Adaptec site, as well as the one I am currently using for win2k3.  None of the drivers work when booting from the DVD.  I tried to install it from within win2k3, one of the Adaptec drivers did allow 7 to see my SCSI C: drive, but the installation failed right at the end.  The machine hung at 'completing setup'.  I waited 1/2 hour or so and rebooted it, and the install rolled back.  I am unable to install Win7.
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 1:44 AM
  • If you check the Adaptec Knowledgebase
    http://ask.adaptec.com/scripts/adaptec_tic.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=13250&p_created=1113325408&p_sid=1u1VcbCj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=11119&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQ6MSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTE2LDExNiZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXdpbmRvd3MgNw**&p_li=&p_topview=1
    you will find the list of supported parallel scsi cards is very short. I was running an AHA 2940U2W which has served very well for may years only to find no support under Windows 7 and no plans for support in the future, which seems to be the case for almost anything that isn't current. I tried the Vista driver, but that refused to install (Windows actually blocked it), so I have had to upgrade to the only card that supports standard 50pin SCSI2 and 68pin Ultra modes, the ASC29320A-R. Unfortunately, this may be the route you have to take to get things working, but be wary. I have a couple of old CD-ROM drives including a quad speed Toshiba tray loader that I find can read damaged discs that modern fast drives reject. Unfortunately, these old drives are not supported by Windows 7 and cause the SCSI bus to keep resetting virtually stalling the machine when disc access is required. Disabling the drives in device manager helps most of the time, but now and again the bus will go into the reset loop and the only way out is to reboot. So, I'm going am having to replace them with something more modern and put together a second machine using the old hardware for recovering damaged discs. I am deeply unimpressed with the hardware support in modern versions of Windows. Right up to XP virtually any hardware could be used. Now it seems it has to be the most recent or it won't work.
    Monday, July 06, 2009 11:55 PM
  • ok didn't mean too propose this as answer.. I thought that did something else.  I have CD-Rom, CD Writer, and Zip Drive all on Adaptec Scsi 2940U2W, and I used an ide DVD Drive to install Windows 7 on my SATA HD. That was a work around for myself to the SCSI Card not working for my SCSI. Not sure if your issue is only cause you have a SCSI HD, in that case this likely wouldn't work. After I managed to get my network interface to work, with a new network card, as the previous netgear FA310TX doesn't work, I was able to download Vista Drivers for my SCSI 2940U2W card, and those worked for the Windows 7. I only have an issue now with my PlexWriter not fully recognized.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 12:06 AM
  • I was told by Adaptec that they were not going to write drivers for Vista, because SCSI would be gone in another 5 years.  Well Adaptec and Microsoft, my company scanners run on scsi, and I don't have the money to go out and purchase new high end scanners that run off of usb just because you don't want to write drivers for your software.  So I won't be converting over to any new operating system anytime soon.

Oh, and by the way, Microsoft, if you are reading these messages, I want you to know that if I want my computer to look like a MAC, I will go out and buy a MAC.  Instead of building on XP which was a solid OS, you decided that you wanted to dumb down the OS so that it would look cute like a MAC.  Well, I don't know who is dumbed down more, your writers or your customers.  Notice that your devoted customers are converting over to Linux or sticking with XP?  Put your glasses on because apparently you just aren't reading the writing on the wall, or better yet, you had better call your software engineers from the 90s back because your current software engineers are costing you customers.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 12:42 AM
  • hello everybody, i have the solution, you must use win server 2003driver for the U160 family cards, just add new driver while installing, by usb key for example.

here is the driver:
    http://download.adaptec.com/scsi/family_manager_set/u160_fms40_sp5_s4.exe

enjoy
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 9:41 PM
  • calibra69,

Your solution worked great for clean install of win 7 x86 32 bit version for my 29160 and 15k cheetah's
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:05 PM
  • Hi All,

Now try to get 64 bit Win 7 support...

Regards,

Scott
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:38 PM

This did not work for me.  I have tried several drivers from the Adaptec site, as well as the one I am currently using for win2k3.  None of the drivers work when booting from the DVD.  I tried to install it from within win2k3, one of the Adaptec drivers did allow 7 to see my SCSI C: drive, but the installation failed right at the end.  The machine hung at 'completing setup'.  I waited 1/2 hour or so and rebooted it, and the install rolled back.  I am unable to install Win7.

Just installed the Adaptec 29160lp driver from the Win2003 subdirectory after unzipping the file linked by calibra69 (below).  It does seem to hang at the "Completing setup" stage, but I just waited long enough and it did finish.  Win7 didn't recognize any of my USB ports during the first part of the install, so I had to do this off of a floppy where I had unzipped the driver *.exe.  Of course, there may still be issues with the driver on down the road...

HTHs
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 10:18 PM
  • Just in case you didn't know....

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/downloads/ms/ms_win_7?productId=ASC-29160&dn=Adaptec+SCSI+Card+29160

I upgraded a x64 version of vista.  This works as a signed driver which will allow you to do a in place upgrade

• Edited by tonyjohn5 Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:51 PM forgot some info
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:50 PM
  • Thanks.... it is working properly.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:00 AM