none
ICACLS "Read-only" commands are NOT working..Please help! :( RRS feed

• Question

• I am the administrator in my pc, and there are some other users. I set a folder (Rasu) as "Read only" for a specific user (Hary), using ICALCS in command prompt in Windows 7. The folder has some ".txt" files. I used the following command --

C:\Windows\system32\ICACLS "C:\Work\Topics\Rasu" /grant:r "Hary":(OI)(CI)R /T

This command ran successfully in the command prompt. But the files in the folder can still be modified (i can change the text and can save as well. I can rename as well).

I also tried the following command -

C:\Windows\system32\Icacls "C:\Work\Topics\Rasu" /deny "Hary": (CI)(OI)(W,D)  /Grant:r "Hary":(CI)(OI)R /T

So basically I am denying "write" and "delete" for Hary, and giving Hary "Read-only" permission. This command ran successfully, but the files in "Rasu" folder are still modifiable.

I don't know why the commands are NOT setting the "read-only" permission.  Please help :(

• Edited by kaly999 Sunday, October 15, 2017 2:27 PM
    Sunday, October 15, 2017 2:25 PM

All replies

• "(i can change the text and can save as well. I can rename as well)."

Hary is your own account??? Please logon with Hary and see the results. 

In addition, check if the group administrators have full control on this folder. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 16, 2017 5:37 AM
    Owner