Removed DAG but Shadow Redundancy Queue is Stuck RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I currently have 3 Exchange servers setup in Co-Existence (EX2010, EX2013A, EX2013B). The 2010 Server is still the public facing server.

I had the two 2013 servers setup in a DAG which I could not get to work properly (Mailflow issues), so I removed it in hopes of returning the servers to standalone status.

The DAG appears to be gone. But in the Queue Viewer on EX2013A I see a Shadow Redundancy Folder with a Next Hop Domain of 2013B with 400 messages in the queue and counting. There are lots of healthmailbox messages from before I removed the DAG.

The Queue Viewer on EX2013B I see a Shadow Redundancy Folder with a Next Hop Domain of 2013A with 600 messages in the queue and counting.

Mailflow seems to work fine from all directions

Right now there are just a few test mailboxes on the 2013 servers, I want to make sure the environment is safe before migrating production mailboxes.

Thoughts?

Thursday, May 8, 2014 8:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

By default, shadow messages are discarded automatically after two days. I recommend you use the Set-TransportConfig cmdlet with ShadowMessageAutoDiscardInterval parameter to set a value.

Also restart transport service to check the result.

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 9, 2014 6:12 AM
  • So is it fine just to let them keep building up until they expire?

This is normal behavior and nothing to worry about?

The Servers and Transport service have been restarted multiple time. When the servers were in a DAG, these messages cleared themselves within 15 minutes.

Friday, May 9, 2014 2:11 PM
  • Hello,

So far, if there is any update.

Did you try to set ShadowMessageAutoDiscardInterval value to proper value?

Cara Chen

Monday, May 12, 2014 2:46 AM
  • I uninstalled Exchange from ServerB.

I'm still concerned about the health of this environment at this point.

Is the ShadowMessageAutoDIscardInterval value typically supposed to be changed?

Monday, May 12, 2014 4:47 PM
  • Hello,

If there are many messages in Shadow Reduncancy Queue, we recommend you change the ShadowMessageAutoDiscardInterval value.

It is normal that there are lots of Healthmailbox messages.

Here is an article for your reference.( Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.)

http://www.msexchange.org/kbase/ExchangeServerTips/ExchangeServer2013/monitoring/exchange-2013-e-mail-traffic-inboundproxyinboundproxycom-and-healthmailbox.html

Besides, you can use get-healthreport cmdlet to check your server health state.

If there is any question, please free let me know.

Cara Chen

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:59 AM
  • Hello,

Is there any update?

Cara Chen

Friday, May 16, 2014 3:10 AM
  • Hi,

This may be related to Shadow Redundancy. The disk was heavily utilized and was having the Transport queue DB. Event 15006 was logged related to Disk back pressure event. Once the space was regained, the shadow queue cleared on their own.

Cheers

Priya

• Proposed as answer by Priya Jay Thursday, July 16, 2020 5:37 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2020 5:37 PM