none
There is no Windows 7 ULI ethernet driver

Question

• My motherboard is an Ashrock  939DUAL-SATA2 with Uli chipsept, 2 GB ram, SATA2 hard disk, etc. It works fine with XP,  Vista and OpenSuse 11.1,  but Windows 7 does not recognize network adapter nor audio device. I went to Nvidia for latest drivers, that they say are beta version but they are ok for Vista.
    Installation program starts (I run it as administrator), it permits to select drivers to be installed, I select 'ethernet driver' I ckic 'continue' and I get a message windows that closes very quickly and seems that it notifies some problem.
    I tryied also to execute the install program in 'Vista compatibility mode' and 'XP compatibility mode' but I get same message window.

Has anyone overthere some working driver for Uli ethernet?
    I don't want to buy a new motherboard nor network adapter to install Windows 7.

Thanks in advance,

Pepe Palaci

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:57 PM

Answers

• 64 bit Win 7 installed successfully on SATA drive as an upgrade of 64 bit Vista Ultimate - unable to do a clean install to any of my SATA drives using drivers from integrated 213 or 220 package. 

Please note install does ask for the disk controller drivers which are subsequently not found in either the 213 or 220 packs when accessed from any saved source during clean install attempts.

I.e. SATA drivers and ULi Ethernet driver from 220 packages at Asrock site

http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=939Dual-VSTA&s=Archives  

and nVidia's ULi Download Drivers site for both 213 and 220 legacy driver packages at nVidia’s site http://www.nvidia.com/page/uli_drivers.html  

do not work in 64 bit win7 when carrying out a clean install.

After install as an upgrade the Ethernet drivers are not found in their opened and saved locations. 

HOWEVER - went back to original ULi LAN 352.exe driver,  ran install program and driver is installed to ULi ethernet 10-100 and network auto connected within seconds.  

Only one other problem encountered during install - keyboard used to input windows key suffered from several letter dislocations from qwerty to numerical values – solved by using depressing Fn key whilst inputting letters that had dislocated to numbers – will post this elsewhere for keyboard concerned a Zippy WK-620

• Edited by Astatine85 Saturday, July 04, 2009 12:14 PM additional information / solution
    • Proposed as answer by Astatine85 Saturday, July 04, 2009 12:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP, Moderator Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:16 AM
    Saturday, July 04, 2009 8:38 AM
  • Howdy I just figured out mine.

I had another machine here with a PCI realtek 10/100 NIC in it, so I installed it in my machine and booted Win7 recognized it and loaded driver immediatly.

I then went into driver manager and tole Win7 to search for suitable drivers for the ULI it found them, and installed
    a set naming the componant as

ULi M526X Ethernet Controller

and I just brough this page up with the realtek and swithc the Network cable to the Uli and am makeing this post.

Edit: just making an edit to show I was in and out with the ULi
    More than one way to skin a horse as they say.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:40 PM

All replies

• If you are at the beginning of the install where it asks for drivers, it is asking for Disk Controller
    drivers not Ethernet drivers.

Try supplying your SATA controller drivers

Asus P5Q3 Deluxe WiFi, Intel E8500 processor, 8gb DDR3 Gskill, Evga Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512mb, onboard Marvel lan, onboard Ralink Wifi, Onboard Soundmax, 1 500gb Sata 2 hard drive, 1 sata DVD drive. Win Bus 64, Win 7 64, Mac os x 10.5.7 Please return to forum and post your results.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:14 PM
  • Snifferpro:

He is talking about an error in the driver installation within Windows, not the Windows 7 installation itself.

-Nick
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:24 PM
  • With a zip utility, e.g. 7-zip, extract the drivers from the Integrated220 package from http://www.nvidia.com/page/uli_drivers.html then install the relevant Vista LAN driver manually from Device Manager. Only install the ethernet driver. Any other drivers can be obtained from Windows Update.

Once connected to the net, Windows 7 may update the driver.

I have successfully installed Windows 7 on a very similar 939Dual-VSTA.

If you want the official sound driver, the 939Dual-SATA2 has a Realtek ALC850 AC97 sound chip and the driver is at http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 9:32 PM
  • 1.         How did you get WIN7 to install on the 939Dual_Vsta mboard as when I attempt to install the RC in either 32 or 64 bit mode on the Asrock 939Dual_VSTA board it halts?

2.         I get a similar problem in that the driver for ULi Ethernet is advised but the whole installation baulks at the first step because the neither the 32 or 64 bit ULi SATA drivers are recognised or "acknowledged" as present in their designated location.

3.         Have so far tried XP and Vista drivers saved on CD, DVD, internal & external hard drive as well as memory stick and whilst the OS will probably install appropriate or win drivers for the Ethernet & etc during or after the install - the actual installation halts and is unable to continue. 

4.         I had similar problem after the initial clean install of Vista 64 bit, which came down to the lack of appropriate sound card drivers for the onboard CMedia on this Asrock mboard - solved by using the CMedia driver for the Asrock AM3NF3-VSTA with the 939Dual-VSTA.

5.         Have yet to try running install as an upgrade to fully patched 64 bit Vista Ultimate - but it may be that is a solution since all existing drivers should be recognised from the start of the install given the RC's Win Number as a numerical revision of Vista

6.         Any thoughts gratefully received.

• Edited by Astatine85 Saturday, July 04, 2009 8:54 AM
    Friday, July 03, 2009 4:35 PM
  • I installed on an IDE drive without problems and extracted the ethernet driver from the Integrated220 package and installed that to complete the drivers needed.

I have not tried installing on a SATA drive but assume you would either need the drivers from the floppy image file at http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=939Dual-VSTA&s=Archives or to extract the SATA drivers from the Integrated220 package and have those available when prompted. The drivers need not be on a floppy, but can be on CD, DVD or a USB device.

The readme file on the floppy package says the AMD64 folder contains Vista drivers. The installation routine may not search sub-folders for drivers and you may need to be specific about the driver location.

I have now installed the 64-bit RC on a SATA drive. No drivers were needed either on the SATA1 (ULi controller) or the SATA2 (JMicron JMB360 controller) connections. The sound device was recognised as a PnP Audio device.

There is no ethernet driver in the RC, but once connected to Windows Update a driver is found and installed. Alternatively, extract the Integrated220 package and, in Device Manager, install the ethernet driver from that.
    Friday, July 03, 2009 7:16 PM
  • 64 bit Win 7 installed successfully on SATA drive as an upgrade of 64 bit Vista Ultimate - unable to do a clean install to any of my SATA drives using drivers from integrated 213 or 220 package. 

Please note install does ask for the disk controller drivers which are subsequently not found in either the 213 or 220 packs when accessed from any saved source during clean install attempts.

I.e. SATA drivers and ULi Ethernet driver from 220 packages at Asrock site

http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=939Dual-VSTA&s=Archives  

and nVidia's ULi Download Drivers site for both 213 and 220 legacy driver packages at nVidia’s site http://www.nvidia.com/page/uli_drivers.html  

do not work in 64 bit win7 when carrying out a clean install.

After install as an upgrade the Ethernet drivers are not found in their opened and saved locations. 

HOWEVER - went back to original ULi LAN 352.exe driver,  ran install program and driver is installed to ULi ethernet 10-100 and network auto connected within seconds.  

Only one other problem encountered during install - keyboard used to input windows key suffered from several letter dislocations from qwerty to numerical values – solved by using depressing Fn key whilst inputting letters that had dislocated to numbers – will post this elsewhere for keyboard concerned a Zippy WK-620

• Edited by Astatine85 Saturday, July 04, 2009 12:14 PM additional information / solution
    • Proposed as answer by Astatine85 Saturday, July 04, 2009 12:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP, Moderator Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:16 AM
    Saturday, July 04, 2009 8:38 AM
  • The drivers from the ULi Integrated driver packs are not required for a clean install on either the ULi or JMicron controllers. The 64-bit RC clean installs with no drivers requested. Only the ethernet driver is missing after installation and this is available from Windows Update if some other installed controller can access the internet, or can be installed from the extracted Integrated220 drivers.

The ULi driver packs are self extracting and self installing executables intended only for running on an installed system. If any drivers from the packs are needed at install those drivers must have been extracted from the packs using a zip utility and made available in their native form.
    Saturday, July 04, 2009 12:32 PM
  • On attempting clean install the process halted 3 times without being able to find drivers - unpacked using both WinZip and winrar - notice " unable to find suitable drivers in specified location" or words to that effect - DRIVERS visible in Vista 64 bit was NOT seen in WIN7 hence the need to run as upgrade since SATA drivers already in use in VISTA. 

A FULL COPY OF THE ENTIRE SOURCE DRIVE WAS MADE BEFORE ATTEMPTING THE UPGRADE

Drivers still not found after install completed - only solution that worked for me was  ULi LAN 352.exe driver, which when run, installed correctly, incidentally a similar problem occurred when installing Vista 64 bit initially using this Asrock 939Dual_VSTA mboard(in the first week after Vista launch) - .

On running update - ULI driver update is recommended, installs correctly without cutting internet connection and is still working after restart.

I appreciate that individual settings may have different effects on install and this would seem to be one of those instances - perhaps BIOS settings re drive boot order with SATA in IDE mode may be influence the install.  As far as I am aware from my BIOS settings all the drives are running in SATA mode

However, MAJOR advantage is that the upgrade install has the distinct advantage of completing with all pre-existing installed programs with their individual settings being available on completion - so time-wise there is a huge advantage in running an unattended upgrade install and then sorting out the driver problem (always assuming that there is an alternative source of driver search if things do go wrong) My backup drive copy had the LAN 352.exe as well as the unpacked ULi 213 & 220 but only the LAN352.exe produced a positive result.

• Edited by Astatine85 Saturday, July 04, 2009 4:05 PM
    Saturday, July 04, 2009 2:15 PM
  • I think the problem is that you have your ULi SATA controller set to the default RAID mode. This allows the theoretical benefits of AHCI, but the practical result is that the RAID drivers are required on installation and there are operating problems with, e.g. installing ethernet drivers, as you have discovered. I have tried AHCI on several boards and have always scrapped the installations and reinstalled in a basic mode because of the problems encountered. Others appear to have met the same problems with RAID/AHCI.

I have BIOS 1.30 and have installed the Windows 7 x64 RC and Vista Ultimate x 64 RTM without problems with no drivers requested or supplied in non-RAID mode on both the ULi and JMicron (both SATA and IDE modes) controllers. All drivers required were installed with the Vista installation, but the ULi ethernet driver was not installed for Windows 7 although it was available from Windows Update after installation. Installation of the ethernet driver manually in Device Manager from the extracted Integrated220 set was no problem.

I strongly recommend that you set your ULi SATA controller to non-RAID mode and do a clean install of Windows 7. You will find, as you have probably already discovered, that Windows 7 is significantly better in practice than Vista. There will be additional benefits from avoiding the problems which come with RAID/AHCI, but unless you try Vista in non-RAID mode these will not be identifiable.

For anyone with the 939Dual-VSTA board, I found a problem that the POST would not complete if there was an orphaned Windows 7 100MB system partition on an IDE drive so the system was unbootable until the IDE drive was removed and the partition removed with a suitable utility (Disk Management with a USB connection worked for me) on another system.
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 11:12 PM
  • I have a clean install of Windows 7.  I am unable to get any ethernet drivers installed.  Can someone provide suggestions as to what I need to do?
    Chris
    Monday, August 10, 2009 4:00 AM
  • Howdy I just figured out mine.

I had another machine here with a PCI realtek 10/100 NIC in it, so I installed it in my machine and booted Win7 recognized it and loaded driver immediatly.

I then went into driver manager and tole Win7 to search for suitable drivers for the ULI it found them, and installed
    a set naming the componant as

ULi M526X Ethernet Controller

and I just brough this page up with the realtek and swithc the Network cable to the Uli and am makeing this post.

Edit: just making an edit to show I was in and out with the ULi
    More than one way to skin a horse as they say.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:40 PM
  • I had the same issue.  Tried to install and nothing, thats how I found this post.  Try installing as admin, it failed on me, but THEN it asks if it failed, say yeah, you suck and failed.  7 tries again and it succeeded for me, for reasons unknown.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 3:32 AM
  • Try this (it works for me): download lan drivers from asrock website (for XP 64 bit) try to install them with amministrator privilege. If you receive an error do not close the message and open device manager and update manually the drivers. The location will be the %TEMP% folder where the install program as temporally uncompress driver files. Afer installation configure your network, open windows update and you will find the newest driver version. Hi all, imianz.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:04 PM
  • Hi there.
    I have the same motherboard and the same problem, and here's how I solved it in Windows 7 32 bit (after a lot of testing and research):

1. Download the zip file (220 integrator) from http://www.nvidia.com/page/uli_drivers.html  

2. Clean your temp folder (go to C: Documents and settings\"username"\Local Definitions\temp

3. Extract the zip file and click on exe (the setup program will start, but it won't install anything as it gives an error), and you will have all the extracted files in your TEMP folder (we deleted everything in step 2 just to be easier to find the right ones)

4. Copy that files to a pen, cd or whatever you want (you can do steps 1, 2, 3 and 4 in another pc)

5. In Windows 7, right click "My computer" -> Properties -> Device Manager -> Ethernet Controller (right click properties -> update driver -> Browse my computer for driver software -> (and go to the folder that you unziped and copied) LAN -> Vista32 -> OK

6. Ignore any warning and let windows install the driver

7. Enjoy your LAN connection.

Cheers

PS: This works in any fresh install
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 2:54 PM
  • thank you rca33, I did it and its working, ty I just bought this for my son, I got internet but sound still off. Im still searching.
    Sunday, November 07, 2010 5:20 AM