none
Windows Vista: All desktop shortcut icons are changed to same icon (Quicktime icon)

Question

•  

Hi,

I have very strange problem with my Vista Business Version. Recently after some patch installation, all the icons on my desktop got changed to one Icon (it impacts all the icons, whether it is shortcut for any application or any internet links). Every time, when I install any patch, it takes one icon from the system and changed all the icons to that icon. This time, it has taken QuickTime player's icon and now all the icons for shortcuts on my vista desktop is changed to QuickTime Icon, though all the shortcuts are working fine. Last time, all the shortcuts were showing Adobe Reader icons.

Did anyone experience this kind of issue ever? If so, would you please share, how did you manage to fix this issue.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Monday, December 17, 2007 5:00 PM

All replies

•  

may be deleting  <DRIVE>\Users\username\AppData\Local\IconCache.db file this file is hidden
    Monday, January 21, 2008 6:47 PM
  • The same thing happened to one of the Vista users on my machine after installing Kodak Easyshare photo software.

All my icons are Quicktime.

Would like to know how to fix.  Other users are OK.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:01 AM
  • thanks for your info. You are right, I also have installed Kodak Easyshare software. I think, only after that, this problem has started. Would you please let me know, how to fix this issue. Every time, I restart my PC, all icon change to some other icons. Will uninstallation of Kodak software will help? Appreciate your help.

Thanks & Regards,

Rajesh

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:42 PM
  • The same problem that you are describing on your system is happening to myne to. Except my laptop is running Windows Vista Basic, Does anyone know how you fix this?
    Tuesday, February 05, 2008 10:13 PM
  • Hi,

I have a simillar problem with vista. After installing a new program on my computer my shortcut keys for my internet pages that I customized change back to generic icons with the Explorer symbol on it. I delete the page and create a new shortcut and try  changing the icon back but to no prevail. This has happened to me sveral times and inventually it works itself out. I would like to eliminate this problem. Can Anyone help me??

Thanks

Byron (Houston)

Saturday, March 29, 2008 1:57 AM
  • Sunday, April 06, 2008 3:59 AM
  •  

Hi,

I have very strange problem with my Vista Business Version. Recently after some patch installation, all the icons on my desktop got changed to one Icon (it impacts all the icons, whether it is shortcut for any application or any internet links). Every time, when I install any patch, it takes one icon from the system and changed all the icons to that icon. This time, it has taken QuickTime player's icon and now all the icons for shortcuts on my vista desktop is changed to QuickTime Icon, though all the shortcuts are working fine. Last time, all the shortcuts were showing Adobe Reader icons.

Did anyone experience this kind of issue ever? If so, would you please share, how did you manage to fix this issue.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Same thing happened to me. I don't know how to fix it. Can you help me.
    • Proposed as answer by jc221 Saturday, March 19, 2011 1:48 AM
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 9:30 PM