none
NTFS partition no longer read on Windows 7

Question

• I have a 500 GB external drive that I use with my Win 7 PC and Snow Leopard laptop. It has the following 4 partitions:

1. Leopard Installer (HFS+)
    2. Backup (HFS+)
    3. Snow Leopard Installer (HFS+)
    4. Storage (NTFS)

1 and 3 contain Mac OS X install CD images in case of any problems, and 2 contains a bootable backup of my entire Mac. The last partition is the one I store movies, music and docs on. The PC recognizes only partition 4, while the Mac recognizes all 4, which is perfect. All this is with the GUID Partition Table (GPT). But since its recognized on both Macs and PCs, I'm guessing it uses something like a hybrid MBR. I don't know what that means, but I remember having to do a lot adjustment to get it to play well with both my computers.

However, I no longer needed the leopard installer, so I erased that partition using disk utility, and formatted it with exFAT, and then again with normal FAT, so that I could use it with my fonera. Now, the windows PC recognizes the FAT partition, but not the NTFS one it used to. It shows up in Disk Management as Unallocated space, but EASEUS partition manager can read the files off it, and the Mac recognizes it fine.

Any ideas about what's wrong or how I can fix it?

Update, output from diskpart.exe:

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601
    On computer: NEIL-PC

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status     Size   Free   Dyn Gpt
     -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
     Disk 0  Online      37 GB 2048 KB    *
     Disk 1  Online     149 GB   0 B
     Disk 2  Online     465 GB   0 B

DISKPART> select disk=2

Disk 2 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type       Size   Offset
     ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
     Partition 1  Primary      200 MB  512 B
     Partition 2  Primary       10 GB  201 MB
     Partition 3  Primary      116 GB  11 GB
     Partition 4  Primary       17 GB  128 GB

The storage partition, which is 300 GB or so, isn't showing up in the list of partitions.

Neil

Thursday, June 16, 2011 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I need to advise that the Windows 7 also support GPT. Maybe the partition table is already corrupted.

Please back up the useful data and try to re-build partition table via some 3rd party disk utilities.

Thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:49 AM

All replies

• Better is to leave the HD on one machine or another and use the LAN to move files.

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

Remote Assistance is available for a fee.

I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:40 PM
  • Looks like you lost one partition. My advise, use 1 on a disk (windows 7 uses a small boot partition)

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

Remote Assistance is available for a fee.

I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:41 PM
  • Hi,

I need to advise that the Windows 7 also support GPT. Maybe the partition table is already corrupted.

Please back up the useful data and try to re-build partition table via some 3rd party disk utilities.

Thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:49 AM