none
Hostname in _SMSTSOrgName RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there...

Quick question. For the convenience of my deployment folks, I would like to do the following:

_SMSTSOrgName=Acme IT - Deployment on %OSDComputerName%

I have a default OSDComputerName=PC-#Left("%SERIALNUMBER%",12)# but is usually changed by the deployment people to match the username.

Everything works fine except that _SMSTSOrgName=Acme IT - Deployment on %OSDComputerName% shows PC-#Left("%SERIALNUMBER%",12)# instead of the new name input in the wizard. Should I use another variable? I already tried %HostName% but it shows MININT-% which is worse.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Another Sysadmin Blog: blog.physh.net
    Monday, June 6, 2011 11:17 PM

Answers

• That wont work sorry. It's because of the way MDT works.

By the time the OSDComputername prompt comes up, the scripts have already passed the info to _SMSTSOrgName

It would be nice to have though.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 12:33 AM

All replies

• That wont work sorry. It's because of the way MDT works.

By the time the OSDComputername prompt comes up, the scripts have already passed the info to _SMSTSOrgName

It would be nice to have though.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 12:33 AM
  • Guess I'm just going to comment out:

; OSDComputerName=PC-#Left("%SERIALNUMBER%",12)#

Sad.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:25 AM
  • No need. As long as the OSDComputerName is set (in another section) before setting the _SMSTSOrgName property you are good.

[Settings]
    Priority=SetComputerName, Default

[SetComputerName]
    OSDComputerName=PC-#Left("%SERIALNUMBER%",12)#

[Default]
    _SMSTSOrgName=%OSDComputerName%

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 11:53 AM
  • Yes Johan, it works like that... But as Andrew explained, once OSDComputerName is set, even if you change it in the wizard it won't overwrite the value in _SMSTSOrgName
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Ah gotcha.... :)

There are multiple options for fixing that, a simple solution is having a script reset the value when the task sequence starts.

/ Johan 

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:38 AM
  • I looked into overwriting the value but it's not worth it. Commenting out OSDComputerName worked fine. Until we switch to a generic naming convention, I'm not bothered.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:44 PM
  • Hi, At what stage would this have to be, do you have a sample script?
    Friday, November 15, 2019 1:20 AM
  • What I've done, if I understand your question, is add these two lines in my CS.ini:

_SMSTSORGNAME='orgname'
    _SMSTSPackageName=%TaskSequenceName% on %Model% named %OSDComputername%

What this does for me is, during deployment, displays:
    my ORGNAME
    The task I selected (such as Win10 OS Deploy) on Model (ex Latitude 5500) named (the name I gave the pc).

Example:

ORGNAME
    "Running Windows 10 OS Basic on Latitude 5414 named MCD123"

This keeps me on track when I'm testing 4 or 5 different pc's. It says the Task I chose, onto the model of the pc and the name I gave the computer.

I hope this helps.

Friday, November 15, 2019 5:16 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. I’m finding that if I set my osdcomputername i.e by [VM-True] Osdcomputername = %mysite%-vm- If update the computername during the deployment, my updated computername isn’t shown, but i.e LON-VM- is displayed during the installation process, when using _smstsorgname= Running %tasksequenceid% on %osdcomputername%
    Friday, November 15, 2019 6:09 PM
  • Not sure, in my Rules I have:

[Default]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=myorg
    _SMSTSPackageName=%TaskSequenceName% on %Model% named %OSDComputername%

and of course the rest of my Rules underneath this

and this displays the Task Name, Model of the PC and the name I typed into the Wizard.

Friday, November 15, 2019 6:33 PM
  • Hi,

I've managed to get this working. 

Place your 

SMSTSOrgName=Acme IT - Deployment on %OSDComputerName%

in the BootStrap.ini and remove it from your CustomSettings.ini file

Update the DeploymentShare and also replace your Boot Image with the newly created one

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 9:50 AM