none
Blue Screen on Windows 7 Cadidate Release...

Question

• Hello.... I've been reading and there only treaths for Windows XP SP3 or so.... I got Windows 7 Cadidate Release, and I was so excited about it... But, literaly 5 seconds after I finish the instalation, it came up with a blue screen... O_O It say something about a BAD_POOL_HEADER... Sometimes, Windows works perfect, but  other times the blue screen ruin my job.... I can't use windows knowing that probably I willl loose my job... :S

Any Solution?

P.D.
    Acer Aspire 5315
    80 HD
    2 GB RAM
    1.73 GHz Processor
    Friday, May 15, 2009 1:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Similar issues, Was very happy with beta release but have problems with RC.
    Web pages hanging and pc freezing. Thinking either a hardware or driver issue i have installed onto virgin harddrive without any applications and still get same issues freezing and rebooting constantly. swapped boot hard drive to vista and also Xp and pc runs smooth with no issues.

Will wait till final release before i try again. after using beta i has hopefull but now dissappointed.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 3:13 PM
  • I got BSOD right after installing too.  Beta ran better than this (but still a few BSOD) and of course XP is 100% stable.
    Well it's still beta...
    Friday, May 15, 2009 4:12 PM
  • I had the same problem and it was finally related to bad memory. The computer would blue screen when just booted, but ran fine after a reboot.

Even though the memory passsed all manners of memory tests I got rid of the blue screens when I removed my two 512mb memory modules and left the two 1gb modules alone.

I then upgraded to 2 X 2gb modules and the computer still runs fine.

Hope this helps
    Friday, May 15, 2009 5:17 PM
  • I'm so glad to have found this thread.  I thought for sure that this was a hardware problem, but now I'm breathing a bit easier.
    I have an Acer Aspire 5720-6200 laptop.

It ran Win7 Beta flawlessly.  I threw on Win7 RC x64, and was plagued with tons of freezing (the screen would dim white and sit there for a good 5 mins, then suddenly snap out of it) Also had a few random reboots that gave a "Kernel-Power" error in the event log. (Stating the computer was shutdown improperly etc.)

So I blew it up and threw on Win7 RC x86.  Now I get BSOD that say "BAD_POOL_HEADER".  Freezing is minimal and less frequent than the x64 version.

It definetly feels like a memory problem... but now that I see other people having the same problems with the same release, I'm hoping it's software related.

I might throw the beta back on just to see if it runs stable again.. either that or throw Vista (ug) back on.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:32 PM
  • Sounds like it may be time to bring in Driver Verifier...

+ Start->Run->Verifier.exe->OK
    + Create custom settings (for code developers)->Next
    + Enable predefined settings -> Standard settings -> Next
    + Select driver names from a list -> Next
    + Sort by Provider -> check all non-Microsoft drivers -> Finish

Reboot.  Wait for the next bugcheck.  If it's not the same, post the details (stop code and params - basically, the 5 hex numbers).

In the event enabling Verifier results in an unbootable system, boot into safe mode and use Verifier.exe to "Delete existing settings".
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Ok, I tried these steps.  Rebooted, get a BSOD before I get into windows, it says a device driver attempting to corrupt the system has been caught.  Couldn't get into Windows. (thanks for mentioning to run verifier in safe mode to fix that :)

STOP:  0x000000C4 (0x0000003C, 0x800003B8, 0x849D6AC8, 0x00000000)

Wish I knew how to read that code, or wish MS would just translate it on the BSOD :)

Friday, May 22, 2009 1:09 AM
  • I hope you find this useful

First of all,  are you running the 64 bit Windows 7 or the 32 bit Windows 7?   Windows 7 64 bit requires a processor that can operate in 64 bits and a enabled bios for your mother board that supports a 64 bit compute enviroment.  IF you have the Windows 32 bit installed,  try updating your bios to the lastest if you have not already from Acer support website, it could correct it.  Then do a fresh install.   The OS works with your bios to communicate with your hardware in order to function.

P.S. Some mother board manufactures have in the past put out a bios update to fix Vista installs that failed on restart. ei the blue screen

• Edited by sprogis Friday, May 22, 2009 2:07 AM
    Friday, May 22, 2009 1:47 AM
  • Hi burger8,

0x000000c4 is "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION".  3C (the first param) is "The driver called ObReferenceObjectByHandle with a bad handle."

Can you repro this bugcheck by re-enabling verifier?  Did the blue screen provide any additional details about the driver at fault?  Was a triage dump generated in %systemroot%\minidump?
    Friday, May 22, 2009 2:54 AM
  • BAD_POOL_HEADER can often be linked to an issue with indexing. If you are able to stay in Windows long enough, try disabling indexing in services and reboot. If that works then you had an indexing problem. If not, you will want to install Windows 7 fresh again as you have corrupt files.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Hi Adam,

I see many references to indexing services when searching for BAD_POOL_HEADER and indexing , but I'm not able to find anything in the MS KB about this.  BAD_POOL_HEADER indicates corrupted pool memory in the kernel, so it would seem that turning off indexing would be more of a workaround for some kernel or driver-related problem (that may still manifest despite indexing being turned off)...

>> as you have corrupt files <<
    Would not SFC be able to help in this case?
    Friday, May 22, 2009 5:43 PM
  • BAD_POOL_HEADER as an error does not ensure that the issue is with the kernel, disabling indexing can actually resolve the error, and yes, System File Checker can help with corrupted data, if disabling indexing does not resolve the issue.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Hi burger8,

0x000000c4 is "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION".  3C (the first param) is "The driver called ObReferenceObjectByHandle with a bad handle."

Can you repro this bugcheck by re-enabling verifier?  Did the blue screen provide any additional details about the driver at fault?  Was a triage dump generated in %systemroot%\minidump?

Unfortunately the blue screen didn't provide any additional information.  Just told me to ensure new software installations were installed correctly and that any new hardware was installed correctly.  Redundant information :)

I have 2 .dmp files in windows\minidump  I'm not sure how to view these files. wordpad/notepad can't open them, using 'edit' from command prompt only shows scrambled text.

Friday, May 22, 2009 7:18 PM
  • Also.. SFC ran and reported no issues.  Disabled indexing.  Freezing still occurs.  Fresh install won't help because I've fresh installed Win7 RC twice already :)  It's perplexing because the Win7 beta ran perfect.  I might have to put Vista back on if we can't fix this :(
    Friday, May 22, 2009 9:03 PM
  • BAD_POOL_HEADER as an error does not ensure that the issue is with the kernel,
    Can you elaborate?  My line of thinking is that BAD_POOL_HEADER is bugcheck code 0x19.  Bugchecks are caused by faulty drivers or faulty hardware.  User-mode apps can not cause a bugcheck.  They can trigger certain effects in the kernel that can result in a bugcheck, but ultimately the flaw would lie in the kernel or driver code.
    disabling indexing can actually resolve the error,
    Interested in something in the KB that directs one to go this route...  It may have additional information pertaining to above, as well...
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 3:20 PM
  • I have 2 .dmp files in windows\minidump I'm not sure how to view these files. wordpad/notepad can't open them, using 'edit' from command prompt only shows scrambled text.
    Crash dumps are opened with tools in the Debugging Tools for Windows package. Generally, if not is not aware of this, it is not really likely they will be able to make much use of the crash dump files, themselves.  That said, you've already provided about as much information from the triage dump as one might expect to get WRT this problem, at this point.

So, you're not able to even boot by enabling verifier on all non-MS drivers.  The driver responsible may or may not be responsible for the memory corruption that resulted in the BAD_POOL_HEADER bugcheck.  So... It may or may not make sense to go any further.  If it was my system, my next step would be to enable driver verifier on HALF of the non-MS drivers.  See if you can boot the system and use it for a while...
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 3:25 PM
  • Freezing still occurs.
    Hmm... Is the Intel Matrix Storage Manager applicable to your system? Others reporting similar types of freezing have found success in installing it...
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Well, I installed the debugging tools, symbols etc.  Used the MS kb to try and use the debugging tools properly.  Couldn't really figure out how to use it effectively.  So, I figured that since the Win7 Beta runs without problems, this is likely not something that I can fix on my end, I will have to wait for Win7 Final and hope everything is fixed :) 

To try and regain some sanity, I have reinstalled Vista, everything running smoothly (I use that term loosely :) again.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help.  Thank you No. Compromise for your time and help.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 1:44 PM
  • You're welcome, burger8 - just wish the end result would have been to get Windows 7 running reliably on your system.   I'm still inclined to think some errant driver was the cause of the instability. Time troubleshooting vs. productive time with the system is certainly something that needs to be considered in cases like this, of course...
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:53 PM
  • Use this link to perform an analysis of the memory dump files.  Since this is a Driver Verifier enabled dump, chances are good that it'll identify the driver that's at fault.  http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/diagnosing-bsods-originally-posted-02oct08.html
    - John
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 7:06 PM
    Answerer
  • To try and regain some sanity, I have reinstalled Vista, everything running smoothly (I use that term loosely :) again.
    Do you still have the minidumps available? I'd be interested in checking one out, if you're willing to provide one... (We can work out the transfer details if you're willing, and still have them...)
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 11:35 PM