none
Vista boot halts on crcdisk.sys

Question

• On the advice of Ronnie Vernon MVP (Jul 11, 2008) I'm starting a new thread on this issue, even though numerous threads already exist.  I think I've read most of them, and still don't have a solution.

Vista 64 Ultimate on an Asus P5E3 Premium montherboard has been running with 8Gb of RAM for a few months now, sort of.  (Roughly twice a week, it just freezes up, no pattern, no explanation.)  However Vista 32 Ultimate on an Asus P5Q3 Deluxe motherboard with 2Gb of RAM has been a nightmare for a couple of weeks, freezing & re-booting itself, and now won't boot at all.  As hundreds of others have reported, on attempting to boot in safe mode it just stops at crcdisk.sys and won't go any further.

I've seen the following ideas in other threads, most here on Microsoft's site:

- don't try to install with more than 2Gb of RAM

- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/

- run chkdsk /f, run chkdsk /r

- slow down memory in CMOS to 400mhz until booted, after all MS updates installed then can increase to max 800mhz

- delete sptd.sys, a DAEMON driver

- disable hard drive caching permanently

- disconnect SATA drives, try to boot, then connect them again

- disable AHCI

- don't use SATA, run IDE only

- delete PCMCIA drivers

- disable BIOS USB support, or USB Legacy support (!!!!)

- disable Firewire 1394 support and/or delete 1394 drivers

- wait 15 minutes after crcdisk.sys halt, system will continue

- uninstall wireless driver

- add a /debug flag after /noexecute=optin in the windows boot options

- use an XP install disk to repair

- if using RAID, disconnect one drive, install Intel Matrix software, connect drive, boot

- unplug network cable

- make sure that DVD and hard drive on IDE bus are not both set to Master

I've done the things above that I'm willing / able to do - some seem like troublesome shots in the dark.  I'm still stuck.

After more than eighteen months of people reporting this problem, a search for crcdisk.sys on the Windows Vista support site produces "There are no documents that match your search for "crcdisk.sys"

While there may be more than one father for this problem, isn't two years enough time for Microsoft to gestate an authoritative outline of possible solutions?  A woman can make a BABY in half that time!!

It's obvious from web searches that many thousands of hours (including about 20 of mine) have been burned up by Vista's installation shortcomings and failures.  MICROSOFT, WHERE ARE YOU?!!

Monday, October 06, 2008 1:19 PM

Answers

• Thanks Andy, but the advice comes too late, I've already blown it away and rebuilt it.  I'm sure your advice will help someone else.

I followed your advice (before getting it! :-)) up through #5 in your note, but at that point I followed the obvious options and asked the repair process to repair my system.  I refused a System Restore when offered.  After a good 8-10 minutes of chugging and sweating the disk, the repair process reported that my computer could not be repaired.  I cursed your employer pretty vigorously and began a new install with format.

There's some bad advice around in Technet and elsewhere about resolving problems after the crcdisk.sys stalling symptom appears, and it appears a lot.  Hope your note becomes the basis for an authoritative knowledgebase article to help the many people who bump into the problem.  Or, better, that the causes of it get properly resolved soon!

Thursday, October 09, 2008 2:25 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The problem might be caused by corruption of some system files. Since you are unable to get into the system in either safe mode or normal mode, you might perform the following steps to delete or rename those files.

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …" appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt

7. Navigate to c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and rename pcmcia.sys to pcmcia.old

8. Navigate to: c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\ and rename pcmcia.inf_xxxxxxxx to pcmcia.inf_xxxxxxxxold

9. Type "chkdsk /F C:" (without quotation marks) and click Enter.

10. Restart the computer and have a test.

If the problem still persists, please continue with the following instructions.

In-place Upgrade Installation

Technically, you won’t lose any data to take an In-place Upgrade Installation. In order to avoid any unexpected problem, I suggest you backup your data before taking In-place Upgrade Installation.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

• If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears.

Click Install now.

• If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, type (Drive: )\setup.exe in the Start Search box, and then click Enter.

Note: (Drive: ) is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Installing and reinstalling Windows

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/e77344fa-e978-464c-953e-eba44f0522671033.mspx

If both of the above two methods do not work on your issue, I suggest you format the computer and rebuild the system.

Hope it works!

• Proposed as answer by Hamstav Friday, September 25, 2009 2:39 AM
    Wednesday, October 08, 2008 6:23 AM
  • Thanks Andy, but the advice comes too late, I've already blown it away and rebuilt it.  I'm sure your advice will help someone else.

I followed your advice (before getting it! :-)) up through #5 in your note, but at that point I followed the obvious options and asked the repair process to repair my system.  I refused a System Restore when offered.  After a good 8-10 minutes of chugging and sweating the disk, the repair process reported that my computer could not be repaired.  I cursed your employer pretty vigorously and began a new install with format.

There's some bad advice around in Technet and elsewhere about resolving problems after the crcdisk.sys stalling symptom appears, and it appears a lot.  Hope your note becomes the basis for an authoritative knowledgebase article to help the many people who bump into the problem.  Or, better, that the causes of it get properly resolved soon!

Thursday, October 09, 2008 2:25 AM
  • Hi. Thanks for this detailed response

I´ve tried this solution but I get access denied to the directory. How can i log in to the command prompt as administrator when I can´t load windows?

Thanks a lot
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 4:58 PM
  • I also had the same problem with a PC and the last thing i remember doing was a Windows update.
    I found it strange as nothing had really been changed but shortly afterwards it wouldn't boot anymore. I had a strange feeling it might have something to do with the settings in BIOS, so i decided to experiment a bit.
    Under the power menu i enabled the settings ACPI APIC Support and ACPI 2.0 Support, as i'm pretty sure it was enabled before. Afterwards it worked; Vista booted again . All other things such as USB and onboard LAN were left enabled. I hope this might help others who have the same problem but can't seem to find a solution. The board i'm using is an ASUS M3A.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:29 AM
  • I currently have this problem also on an ASUS P5K on Vista 32Bit

In my case it is definately down to the ACPI APIC Support being on (ACPI 2.0 Support for ACPI extensions can be in either state without affecting boot-up). I turned it on and now I cant turn it off without my boot failing at the crcdisk.sys.

However, I dont think its anything to with crcdisk.sys being loaded as I believe safe mode start-up only displays a list of drivers that have been loaded succesfully. Ergo, crcdisk.sys is loaded successfully and its the driver after crcdisk.sys that is causing the problem.

The reason I want to turn it off is that I am convinced that since it has been on, I can only play a game for about 10 minutes without the monitor 'Entering Power Save' and nothing can bring it back apart from hitting the reset button. Disabled all green power settings and created a very carbon-unfriendly group policy and the problem still persist. It can be on all day when not in a game and will never do it.

I'll find out what the next driver to be loaded after crcdisk.sys is because it will be related to that. Dont know what to do after that though!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:19 PM
  • I have recently also seen this problem...this time on an ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe MB with 2Gb RAM with 320GB WD SATA HDD and Vista 32bit ... (not actually my own system - owned by a local aquaintance.)

Is there a common thread here?  Does the problem only occur on ASUS based systems since it seems that a fair number of posts with the crcdisk.sys "hang" seem to be based on ASUS MB's ...but many posters have not identified the hardware sufficiently to see if this is the case...

I have tried every which way to boot the system ... including most suggestions on a variety of web sites ...without success.
    Finally I had to use a Linux distribution (Knoppix 5.3.x - with the NTFS-3G driver) to get the most important data backed up (these being over 150GB of videos, photos and paid-for I-tunes music from a family member who was not fully au fait with the importance of back-ups!)

Additional notes:

1. The system did NOT boot from a Vista distribution DVD; it simply hangs forever with the green "led-style" running bar displayed when the HDD was connected as the first HDD
    2. The system did NOT boot from the Vista Repair Environment disk (found on the I'net in various locations) even burned onto a CD and checked in another system to make sure that the repair environment should work.
    3. The system did NOT boot from another Vista bootable HDD (i.e. Vista temporarily installed onto a new different SATA drive with minimal configuration) WHEN the original HDD was installed as the SECOND HDD, although the system would boot normally and into safe mode from the new minimally configured Vista when the original HDD was left disconnected.
    4. The system did NOT boot from another Vista bootable HDD (i.e. Vista temporarily installed onto a new different PATA / IDE drive with minimal configuration) whenever the original drive was connected as either SATA HDD 1 or SATA HDD 2.
    5. Using an XP distribution CD and a 2KPro distribution CD in Repair/Recovery mode failed, possible because of the well known issue that the initial administrator account in Vista is normally disabled by default, but I have not been able to prove this ...
    6. The aquaintance mentioned that they had initiated a Windows Update not long before the problem occurred (the system was originally set up to prevent automatic updates.)

Is there any more info out there? Maybe Microsoft could be persuaded to define exactly what crcdisk.sys does? Historically crc used to stand for Cyclic Redundancy Check and was mainly used in the data transmission world to provide a level of data integrity checking. Is this what crcdisk.sys is doing on the disk drive and if a problem occurs with a failed crc what happens?
    Is there an update that causes issues with the SATA interface/enviroment?
    Is there something rogue out there that writes some form of data to the disk, possibly the boot sectors/tracks that then disturbs the proper recognition of the drive by the Vista OS?
    Any other suggestions?

Just a final aside...I spoke to another fairly well up-to-speed PC user and he mentioned that he had seen this problem not long ago on another ASUS MB based PC which had been purchased from a large high street retail outlet, probably confirgured with automatic updates enabled but unfortunately full system details are not immediately available. If I come across any more info I will post here...Sajax
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 2:51 AM
  • Hello,

same problem occured to me today and I've tried to solve it for already around 12 hours without success.

My system specs are the following:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6000)

Language:          German (Regional Setting: German)

System              Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.      
    System Model:    G1S                
    BIOS:                Default System BIOS
    Processor:         Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7700  @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory:             2046MB RAM

I hope I can - despite my lack of indepth technical insight - I can describe what I did till now.
    I tried many of the mentioned methods including booting from the VISTA-DVD or the Asus-Recovery-DVD. If I started the system normally it would stop after logging in to my profile with a black screen (and occasionally the cursor showing up). If trying to run it in safe mode it boots exactly till crcdisk.sys and then gives me a blue screen after some seconds.

After I changed my settings in BIOS to "SATA-compatible" instead of "SATA-enhanced" I can boot the system properly, but everything runs extreeeeeeemly slow (just starting my browser took around 10 minutes). Without changing anything (like stopping other processes) it would however run smoothly out of a sudden for some time (like right now).
    Additionally I saw that the Intel Turbo Memory Controller can not be started (Code 10), but as I read this is obviously caused by my setting regarding SATA).

The system is also too slow to make a proper backup of my data, so I'm quite stuck with the situation right now and would appreciate some help.

PS: I did install recent Vista-Updates yesterday, if this helps identifying the problem.
    Tuesday, December 02, 2008 3:41 AM
  • Just fyi

Windows (XP and Vista) doesn't really block on CRCDisk.sys when you do a safe mode. Its just the last file launched before the desktop start...

MVP Setup and Deployment - http://www.forum-microsoft.org
    Friday, December 19, 2008 11:50 AM
  • An interesting note, in the last week 3 PC's, two XP's and one vista have all had similar issues after a windows update.
    After trying to boot from a Vista DVD and that not working, I tried booting from a XP CD and it claims that there is no hard drive detected. Surely this can not be a coincidence.
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 11:25 PM
  • Hi all,

I'm not a tech but I had the same probs with the crcdisk file hanging. Took hours but i finally got vista to load. This is how I got there.

First disable all that was not required. Hard drives / ram / dvd's etc.
    Then disable all the high tech stuff in your bios settings.........factory defaults do not always do this.

Then finally and the most import thing for me was to actually deleat the partition you are going to install Vista on. (Reformatting the partition apparently still leaves something on it.)

Then do the normal Vista install.

I was back up and running within the hour from doing this.

Good luck all.
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 11:20 PM
  • Sorry to bump this but I have the same exact problem.

Originally it wouldn't work with four 1GB sticks and I sucked it up to be the OCZ RAM that needed extreme amounts of voltage.  So I went out and bought 8GB of regular old DDR3, popped it in and it worked fine for months.  I could play any game I wanted for hours at a time, browse with 20 or 30 tabs open while working on web sites with all my tools open.  Then one day I come in and my machine has rebooted and blue screens every time it tries to start up.  I say no big deal, kinda weird but let me format anyway I had wanted to for awhile anyway.  So I try and boot off the Vista Ultimate x64 DVD and it won't even boot which is kinda weird.  I update my BIOS confirm everything is ok and it still does not work, it will not get past the black and white DVD boot screen.  So I pull 4GB of RAM out and it installs and works just fine, no biggie again I install all the latest drivers and updates, shut it down and install the other 4GB of RAM and no dice.

I ran a memory test on 4GB using the Vista utlity it rebooted after it was done and wouldn't load Windows again until I took it out and I only had 2GB of RAM in the machine.  Once I booted with 2GB put in 4GB again it worked fine.  I started msconfig told it to only use 4GB of RAM then added all 8GB and it worked fine, of course only showing 4GB in use but Vista still reported the 8GB correctly.  I tried this again with 6GB and again it works just fine with me doing anything I need to with out a hiccup.  Today I am going to boot up into Safe mode and figure out what is loading after crcdisk.sys which is causing it to crash.

Things I have tried and not gotten any where:

Tested all four sticks of memory in all four slots of my computer and they all work.
    Tested them all individually and they pass memory tests.
    Upgraded my BIOS, cleared it and reset everything. 
    Switched all BIOS settings to stock.
    Set up slight voltage boosts in the BIOS.
    Took everything out of my system except the video card.
    Switched out the video card to another model that isn't even the same generation.
    Disabled everything in the BIOS not needed to boot or run Windows.
    Different keyboards and mice using PS/2
    Different NIC

The only thing different from my original install after I just wrote this up and thought about it was the onboard NICs were disabled and I used another model.  That would also be the most logical issue because the default installer would have drivers for such a common NIC.

• Proposed as answer by cooter461 Wednesday, March 04, 2009 2:29 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Got the same problem here. I have been trying to fix the system by searching the internet for almost a week. I have came across many different solutions as suggested by other victims, but none of them worked in my case. Feeling exhausted, I gave up searching internet, trying to recall what I exactly did the last time before I log out the system, then I remembered I did touch something called "Intel turbo memory", it was already there ever since I had my nb, but since I didn't have the slightest idea of what it was, I didn't touch it until recently.

Then I navigated everywhere in the bios, finding if there's something related to that suspicious application. Finally, under Advanced > Internal Device Configuration, I located the Intel turbo memory and disabled it. After reboot, the crcdisk error disappeared and the system resumed as it was.

To identify the turbo memory was the only culprit led to the crcdisk error, I tried to triger the problem by enabling the turbo memory in bios again. After 3 times of enabling / disabling of that turbo memory, I am confident to say that, at least in my case, it is the turbo memory cracks my system.

The version of the turbo memory in my system was 1.5. I tried to upgrade it to the latest version, 1.8, but it still hang at crcdisk. If you happen to get a copy of the release note of version 1.8, please take a good look on the portions "Issues - Fixed in this release", "Issues - Fixed in the previous release" and "Issues - Known in this release", I promise you will be surprised by the large number of issues which will eventually cause a BSOD.

For those who suffer from the same problem and have already tried other solutions on the internet, I sincerely suggest you to give the turbo memory a try, it won't do any harm to your system in any case.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:55 PM
  • I had the same problem after removing an external usb HDD from a Toshiba Equium Laptop.

Machine boots in safe mode to crcdisk.sys then stalls HDD just spins

Tried renaming the pcmcia.sys the driverstore file and the 1394 firewire no joy.

Then went into the BIOS and changed the SATA mode to Compatability..

Joy it worked.

My suggestion would be to do this first in the BIOS.

Vista then did find new hardware 2 new sata drives so make sure the first time you boot up successfully you have admin rights

Thanks all for the help
    Blue eyes
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:18 AM
  • agreed - I personally run ubuntu and a MAC at home.  MS apparently has an issue with the OS it's avoiding - Good OS suppot is a thing of the past i guess

Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:19 PM
  • I reformatted - issue still exists
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:20 PM
  • Hi Guys, after 3 days trying different things I finally fixed the problem on my laptop.
    I had the same issues as others, doing nothing unusual on the machine, come back 5 minutes later and saw it had shutdown.
    Went to startup and it hung on the windows loading screen
    Did a safe boot and it hung on crcdsk.sys.
    Took the drive out and put it in another laptop - same is issue.
    So obviously the drive was the problem - not some motherboard/peripheral issue
    Next tried a few boot disk tools to try to access the disk - no joy
    Next tried a linux boot disk to get at the files - no joy
    So finally I take the drive out put it in a 2.5" sATA enclosure I had and attached it to a XP laptop.
    Open up Explorer and I can see a new drive f (the recovery partition on my broken drive) but no main partition (where my broken vista install should be)
    Go in to DOS on the XP laptop and go for a chkdsk -R. System says drive is locked do I want to do a startup check.
    I say yes and reboot the machine.
    About an hour later its finally finished and states it has fixed a bunch of errors.
    Boot up and low and behold the the two partitions on my broke drive are fully visible.
    Put the drive back in the other laptop and boot up.
    Happy Days!! it worked.

So the fix that worked for me is chkdsk -R using XP with the drive as broken external storage.

Saturday, August 29, 2009 7:06 PM
  • I had this exact problem.  Safe mode stopped booting at crcdisk.sys.  So, I booted to DOS, ran chkdsk /f.  Got a message that it could not run until reboot, so i clicked Y for reboot.  Next, I pressed CTRL+ALT+Delete and clicked the red button in the bottom right and selected restart.  On restart chkdsk ran and corrected the problem.  Login screen appeared, I logged in and the Windows desktop loaded.

Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:16 PM
  • I had this problem on 2 computers at the same time. Both had ASUS M4A78 PRO motherboard... i tried all the advices, including running a scandisk of my hard disk on an external usb device. At one point i tried to boot a working hard drive from another computer and it stopped at the same place again, just after the crcdisk.sys. That's when i started suspecting the motherboard was the problem.

I found out in a ASUS forum that my USB hubs may be causing the problem. I just added a USB hub to one computer and forgot a usb key in the hub of the other...

When i boot with no devices in the hubs... it boots perfectly. I suggest you try this simple solution before you wipe your disk, reinstall windows or look for your screwdriver!
    Friday, September 25, 2009 2:49 AM
  • I had a problem similar to this. My computer (Vista x64, Intel, MSI MB) just froze one day, and when i restarted, the Vista loader froze. When booting in fail safe mode, it stopped on crcdisk.sys, but just for about a minute, and then I could load windows fail safe. About half of the times I could also actually load Vista normally, but it would freeze after a minute or so. I did a system restore to a point the day before, and since then, the sys seems stable. I also updated DaEMOn tools, since its mentioned in this thread. 

The only thing I did since yesterday was to install an (old) CD audio burner software called Burrrn. Stay away from it. After the rollback, it's gone. 

Good luck!
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 8:02 PM
  • Very interesting thread. Out of the 20 or so solutions in the original post, plus a few more suggested by other posters as well as others on other forums, I tried all of them. Mine was a case of it booting on its own after 15 minutes as suggested in the original post.

It is also interesting to read posts from people who reported back that one or another of the possible solutions was successful in their case. In my particular case, it was a solution from Solomon at techarena forums that worked:

"This issue is quickly resolved by pairing your sata devices.
    For e.g. Hard drive 1 on SATA 1 and Hard drive 2 on SATA 2 then Optical drive 1 on SATA 3 and Optical drive 2 on SATA 4.
    It is very important to keep your Hard Drives together and HDD 1 should always be SATA 1."

Now, I must say, who would have ever thought of that? I thought surely it doesn't matter how you set up your drives, and, additionally, my installation worked fine for a year or so before it decided to suddenly adopt the mysterious crcdisk.sys syndrome. I noticed a few others indicate sudden onset of this syndrome as well. Very curious!

Well, while switching around the cables, I did take the opportunity to try the OP suggestion of trying to boot with drives disconnected, so I guess I have fouled the experiment with two variables running between startups!

Well, just thought I'd share what worked for me in case it helps someone else. This thread is definitely the most comprehensive treatment of the subject I've found on the net. Kudos to the OP.

John
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:54 PM
  • My life with KSOD: Started first with the Vista original install disk. System recovery found a bad mbr. Then there were no more problems reported and windows almost boots and tell me that it was shutdown improperly if I just off it...On reboot, safe mode or normal, There is the sticky keys 'clue' on my KSOD where I can hear a 'beep' when shift is pressed 5 times, but without the 'Do you want to turn on sticky keys' message.Tried to tab twice and moused all over the screen looking for the mouse cursor to change shape<grin> Then, using the Vista Install disk, got into a cmd promt, tried the delete logs trick; tried the msconfig, could not run as could not determine admin password that is default with the system recovery screens.  Chkdsk c: /f found no errors but it cannot transfer messages to the event log with status 50.

'Start the computer by using the current Operating System' is too funny as there is no OS visible.  The answer, as at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946532, is a clean install. I shall pop out the drive and attach to another box and get files needed. All the best,
    Bri
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 9:42 PM
  • I called the computer manufacture and they are replacing the hdd. They said it was a bad sector
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 12:23 AM
  • I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 that kept getting stuck on the green Vista loading bar.

I prefer not to listen to all this corporate techno bollocks with extorionate techguy prices.

I pressed F2 and went to setup. I disabled the Flash Cache module then changed the SATA harddrive option from AHCI to ATA, saved and exited, rebooted, pressed F8 so as to enter advanced boot, booted in safe mode with command prompt.

On command prompt I typed "explorer" to simply start windows in safe, messed around a little, turned off and on and as yet have had no problems.

My only issue is whether or not I should change SATA options back, but so far all is good.

I hope this help, it may not though.

:]

Sam.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:09 AM
  • Sorry to bump this thread, I am experiencing sim problem, however bootup is more sporadic, it varies.  Running a Vista 32bit Home Premium, 3.2Ghz 4 Gig Ram, ATI Sapphire 4500, Fully updated (windows wise) however last update was a fail but that is no surprise given the boot problems.  Anyway the only difference I am having is that the computers boot will vary in success, but the most typical has been not even getting to the bios (atleast not visibly or audibly).....I had success though by taking the power cord from the wall and ensuring there was no residual power in the system. 

Turning it back on with a typical roar of the fan, that sort of woke up the bios....and often allowed the OS to have a shot at Safety mode atleast.  Then often would come the crcdisk.sys apparent hang, but just occasionaly I get Windows fully loaded, and reporting no problems, and AVG or online Norton report nothing untoward, windows system says it's healthy.  Trying the recovery disc that NEC forced me to make wasn't real fun it seemed to want to format the HDD and not much else.  The other thing that is interesting is that the WinRe which was showing as a D drive for the last 6 months (since I made the disc) has now disappeared from Explorer.....although disk management tool is still aware of it "EISA" 9 GB.

System restore doesn't appear to have helped and it only went back like a week any how.  One thing the system health report did mention was the disk q length was getting up there but it does not report that now.....and it seemed to point the finger at AVG 9.5 Free.

Anyway my question is, do these symptoms point to a more likely avenue of healing out of the 20 or so causes/solutions that exist for this problem?  For instance, the fact that BIOS sometimes doesn't even make it (atleast graphically), would that not indicate a hardware problem...etc.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:05 PM
  • Also have been having this same problem using Vista. None of the above mentioned options worked for me. What does work; powering down the computer (disconnect power, drain remaining power via on-button). After doing that the computer will boot everytime.

Though it isn't perfect having to reach around the computer everytime. Hope a new hdd drive will fix this.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 10:52 PM
  • Sorry for the above proposed as answer submission... I pressed the wrong button in my eagerness to post my fix.

After researching this problem and not really having much luck  trying pretty much everything Ive seen posted I had one last shot and this is what I did.

To FIX and keep FIXED the crcdisk.sys problem try this.

Goto C:\Windows\System32\drivers

Search for crcdisk.sys

Rename to crcdisk.sys.old

reboot

Problem fixed.

Took 5 mins to sort and 2 days research lol...

Enjoy.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Thanks for all the helpful suggestions posted here and in the earlier thread.

I had the same problem running VISTA on my Gateway FX machine.  Nothing seemed to get it past the CRCDISK.SYS level on a "safe" boot, and it would lock up at the loading bars on a normal boot.

The computer locked up while accessing a Wikipedia page (screen had a white overlay and the rotating loading circle in Mozilla stayed on).  I did a hard shut down, which it didn't seem to like, as on reboot, it locked at the loading bars.

Using the VISTA install disk did not work, either.  I also tried changing the drive configuration (set to RAID) but that did not help (it was mentioned in another posting).

I removed the drive from the case (quick release mount made this easy).  I then hooked it up to a secondary connector (SATA) on a similar computer running Good old Widows XP

The other computer recognized the drive, so I copied all my work files to that computer as a safety measure.

Then I ran CHKDSK, on what was now "Drive J:" and of course rebooted .

Note that the machine ran fairly slowly before I ran CHKDSK.

Anyway, once it was all done, (is there a log file for that somewhere and how do I find it?) I reinstalled the hard drive back in my VISTA machine and it booted right up.

So I suspect it had a bad sector and the CRCDISK program was hanging because of that.

Of course, I realize that not every one has dual identical computers, one running XP and one running VISTA, but maybe if you can borrow a friend's machine.......

At least in my situation, this appears to be a hard disk problem.   Hope this helps.

Monday, March 07, 2011 8:20 AM
  • I am not sure if the hard drive is failing or what.  But it did it again, this time hanging on an Intel Boot firmware program.

I ran CHKDSK on the drive (after installing it as the J: drive) on a XP machine.

Here are the LOG files from the first incident and the second incident:

First incident:  March 7, 2011

Checking file system on J:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is ROBERT BELL DEER TRAIL.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.                        
    The file reference 0x6500000000757d of index entry cookies.sqlite-journal of index $I30
    with parent 0x45284 is not the same as 0x6400000000757d.
    Deleting index entry cookies.sqlite-journal in index $I30 of file 283268.
    The file reference 0x6500000000757d of index entry COOKIE~2.SQL of index $I30
    with parent 0x45284 is not the same as 0x6400000000757d.
    Deleting index entry COOKIE~2.SQL in index $I30 of file 283268.
    Unable to locate the file name attribute of index entry parent.lock
    of index $I30 with parent 0x45284 in file 0x135b8.
    Deleting index entry parent.lock in index $I30 of file 283268.
    Unable to locate the file name attribute of index entry PARENT~1.LOC
    of index $I30 with parent 0x45284 in file 0x135b8.
    Deleting index entry PARENT~1.LOC in index $I30 of file 283268.
    The file reference 0x26000000013b46 of index entry places.sqlite-journal of index $I30
    with parent 0x45284 is not the same as 0x25000000013b46.
    Deleting index entry places.sqlite-journal in index $I30 of file 283268.
    The file reference 0x26000000013b46 of index entry PLACES~2.SQL of index $I30
    with parent 0x45284 is not the same as 0x25000000013b46.
    Deleting index entry PLACES~2.SQL in index $I30 of file 283268.
    The file reference 0xc20000000140db of index entry sessionstore.js of index $I30
    with parent 0x45284 is not the same as 0xbf0000000140db.
    Deleting index entry sessionstore.js in index $I30 of file 283268.
    The file reference 0xc20000000140db of index entry SESSIO~1.JS of index $I30
    with parent 0x45284 is not the same as 0xbf0000000140db.
    Deleting index entry SESSIO~1.JS in index $I30 of file 283268.
    Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
    CHKDSK is recovering lost files.
    Recovering orphaned file COOKIE~2.SQL (30077) into directory file 283268.
    Recovering orphaned file cookies.sqlite-journal (30077) into directory file 283268.
    Recovering orphaned file PLACES~2.SQL (73129) into directory file 283268.
    Recovering orphaned file places.sqlite-journal (73129) into directory file 283268.
    Cleaning up 57 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 57 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 57 unused security descriptors.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    The USN value 0xf12e2000 of USN Journal entry at offset 0xf143d000
    in file 0x8e2a is incorrect.
    Repairing Usn Journal file record segment.
    Usn Journal verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    File data verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    Free space verification is complete.
    The upcase file content is incorrect.
    Correcting errors in the uppercase file.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.

478664707 KB total disk space.
     270425404 KB in 298563 files.
        159892 KB in 37084 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        465915 KB in use by the system.
         65536 KB occupied by the log file.
     207613496 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
     119666176 total allocation units on disk.
      51903374 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    40 43 05 00 0d 1f 05 00 a9 4b 08 00 00 00 00 00  @C.......K......
    03 97 00 00 68 00 00 00 a0 02 00 00 00 00 00 00  ....h...........
    30 fb 13 07 00 00 00 00 c4 fb d7 07 01 00 00 00  0...............
    4e 8e a1 0e 00 00 00 00 aa 10 17 f5 10 00 00 00  N...............
    dc b1 ce 18 08 00 00 00 e0 bc 8b 35 1a 00 00 00  ...........5....
    40 7f 44 6f 00 00 00 00 40 40 07 00 43 8e 04 00  @.Do....@@..C...
    00 00 00 00 00 f0 74 79 40 00 00 00 dc 90 00 00  ......ty@.......

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

Second incident, March 22, 2011:

Volume label is ROBERT BELL JEKYLL.

Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
    Cleaning up 9 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 9 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 9 unused security descriptors.
    The upcase file content is incorrect.
    Correcting errors in the uppercase file.
    Adding 1 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.
    Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.

199988332 KB in 295998 files.
        159932 KB in 37080 indexes.
             4 KB in bad sectors.
        468991 KB in use by the system.
     278047448 KB available on disk.

69511862 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    40 43 05 00 04 15 05 00 f1 37 08 00 00 00 00 00  @C.......7......
    5e 97 00 00 68 00 00 00 68 02 00 00 00 00 00 00  ^...h...h.......
    90 d5 ed 06 00 00 00 00 fe a1 1b 07 01 00 00 00  ................
    92 1a 6d 0e 00 00 00 00 72 93 7d 5b 0d 00 00 00  ..m.....r.}[....
    3a ff e2 59 0c 00 00 00 1e 6d 64 dc 1a 00 00 00  :..Y.....md.....
    60 cd 44 6f 00 00 00 00 40 40 07 00 3e 84 04 00  `.Do....@@..>...
    00 00 00 00 00 b0 51 ae 2f 00 00 00 d8 90 00 00  ......Q./.......

The first incident had a lot of file errors, related to Firefox (apparently) but no bad sectors.  The second incident is showing bad sectors.

I just re-installed the drive and it is hanging on the CRCDISK program....again.  So I will remove the drive, do another CHKDSK and try some of the other solutions.

I think also I will buy a new hard drive, load it with XP and use that as my boot drive and run the old drive as a secondary storage drive.

Once again, I was able to offload my files onto the XP machine, so no data was lost.  It just won't BOOT Vista!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:04 AM
  • On the advice of some sites, I ran chkdsk three more times, until it was "clean".  I will now try to reinstall the drive.  If it still doesn't work, well, off to the computer store to buy a new hard drive...

Here is the CHKDSK log file, from Winlogon.  There seems to be some bad sectors (4 KB) which is new since the last failure.  No file problems anymore, though.

Again, to run chkdsk, I had to take the drive out and install it as a secondary drive on another machine.  I can read and write data to it, but for some reason, it just won't boot properly!

Volume label is ROBERT BELL JEKYLL.

Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

199988332 KB in 295998 files.
        159932 KB in 37080 indexes.
             4 KB in bad sectors.
        468991 KB in use by the system.
     278047448 KB available on disk.

69511862 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    40 43 05 00 04 15 05 00 f1 37 08 00 00 00 00 00  @C.......7......
    5e 97 00 00 68 00 00 00 5f 02 00 00 00 00 00 00  ^...h..._.......
    60 e8 00 07 00 00 00 00 8c 8c ec 08 01 00 00 00  `...............
    86 fd 8c 0d 00 00 00 00 1e e4 aa 63 0d 00 00 00  ...........c....
    de e7 28 19 0c 00 00 00 7e 04 37 a4 1a 00 00 00  ..(.....~.7.....
    30 58 44 6f 00 00 00 00 40 40 07 00 3e 84 04 00  0XDo....@@..>...
    00 00 00 00 00 b0 51 ae 2f 00 00 00 d8 90 00 00  ......Q./.......

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:10 PM
  • UPDATE:

Cautiously optimistic that it worked.  It took about 20 minutes to boot. I think the CRCDISK program was running and doing a Cyclic Redundancy Check on the drive.  I will run CHKDSK from the Vista machine next.

In the past, when it "hanged" on boot, it would stop at CRCDISK and then the drive light would go out and stay out.

During the prolonged boot, in contrast, the disc light goes on and off and you can hear the voice coil moving the drive heads.

Long story short, though, I think I'll get a new drive.  They are cheap enough.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:56 PM
  • It was the hard drive after all.

I was able to get the computer to work by removing the drive, runing chkdsk on an XP machine that I connected to the drive and then re-installing.

I was able to recover all my data from the drive, fortunately,

But it just got flakier and flakier.  I tried reinstalling VISTA but it kept crashing, hanging, and fouling up.

Bought a new terabyte drive (seagate) for $75 at Staples.  Oh brave new world.  A terabyte for $79.  I remember when 5 MB was $1000.  And I met the guy who worked on those original Seagates, too.  That was "back in the day" for sure.

Anyway, new drive in, reloaded all the software, and it runs faster to boot.

Also, the old drive was getting HOT and drawing a lot of POWER - it was setting off the current alarm on my UPS.  I finally unplugged it (after downloaded all the data from it) and now everything is OK.

Must have been the drive motor itself perhaps?

Anyway - fixed "for now" which is all one say about a windows machine, right?

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:25 AM
  • First of all, I'm sorry for my bad english structure. 

Windows Vista 32 Home Premium

HP Pavillion dv64333cl

Honestly, I'm not a technician, but I'd like to share my experience. I have been using Vista for almost 3 years until I stuck to this crcdisk.sys problem for 3 days. (And I found that this is already an old issue.)  As having the recovery partition (or u can get recovery disc by download it), I have the system to repair its startup problem, but it failed to fix the problem. I only have an empty restore point, because I clean it a day before.. oh my.. :( Thank god I already have a back up all of my files. 

By googling, I found 4 main things cause this problem : 

1. Drivers (SATA, PCMCIA)

2. Antivirus (?)

3. Malware

4. Corrupted file

Well, I check all of them and no problem at all. I found no virus, no malware, no corrupted file, no device problem. I can't change SATA to IDE since I don't see any other option beside "Enabled / Disabled". Eventhough i disabled the SATA, the problem still occured. 

I've done everything, except delete these things. 

\windows\system32\drivers\pcmcia.sys*
    \windows\system32\drivers\1394bus.sys
    \windows\system32\drivers\ohci1394.sys
    \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\pcmcia.infblablabla*
    \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\1394.infblablabla
    \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\sdbus.infblablabla*
    \windows\inf\sdbus.inf*
    \windows\inf\sdbus.PNF*

Why? Honestly, I don't want to delete anything right now. Before, I'd like to delete sptd.sys but I can't find it or it could never been there in my system. No matter how hard I try to make the system fixed, it will be end with failure and headache. Using chkdsk /r for a few times, just to see it stuck at the same problem : crcsys.disk

Finally, the problem is fixed. What a great day! How come? I don't know exactly. But, here are what I did. 

As I can't go to safe mode (it always hang at crcdisk.sys), I use recovery partition to go inside repair option and go to command prompt and have system to check the problem by typing : c:/ chkdsk /r (notice the c prompt, not other prompts).  

System should find the corrupted file and fix em all (for a while). After finish it, reboot and go to safe mode. It will hang at crcdisk.sys, so be it. After 1-1,5 hours, it will reboot itself and then display logon screen. It seems like system has succeeded fixing the problem. Well.. yes and no. If you reboot again, you will stuck at the same problem. That's what we try to avoid.

Next, I download reimage repair. You can download it for free anywhere or u can try this link: http://download.cnet.com/Reimage-Repair/3000-18512_4-10907808.html 

This tools is very good, but I have to pay for which is I don't have time to do it right now. Install it and start to scan. (Don't forget to let ur connection on and ur best anti virus active). Did I find what cause crcdisk.sys problem? Yes. It's malware. Many malwares in my system. Ouch!! I've used antivirus and malwarebytes to sweep them, but failed to find em. And with a little 'help' from Reimage repair, my AV-software found almost all of them. (Ah ya.. don't bother to repair with Reimage Repair, because it's only for premium users.)

There's one malware that can't be deleted automatically. So I try to delete it manually, but failed. I'd like to go to safe mode and kill it manually, but I'm worry that my vista will not boot before I reach it. So I prepare myself with Hiren BootCD 14 (http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/), just in case I can't get into safe mode. Download and burn it in a CD/DVD. (Note : my AV detected trojan in Hiren BootCD 14, but I ignore it). After that, I reboot my vista. And as predicted, I can't get into safe mode. So, I reboot again and choose to boot from CD/DVD. 

Hiren BootCD has so many options. I choose mini XP. Then, I browsed to the malware location, and kick it a*s for good.  If this still can't bring any changing, then I don't know what else to do. 

Reboot my computer, and ... VOILA! My logon screen appeared after 1 minute.  

Hope this will help others. 

• Edited by emsipro Friday, September 30, 2011 12:00 PM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 10:50 AM
  • I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 that kept getting stuck on the green Vista loading bar.

I prefer not to listen to all this corporate techno bollocks with extorionate techguy prices.

I pressed F2 and went to setup. I disabled the Flash Cache module then changed the SATA harddrive option from AHCI to ATA, saved and exited, rebooted, pressed F8 so as to enter advanced boot, booted in safe mode with command prompt.

On command prompt I typed "explorer" to simply start windows in safe, messed around a little, turned off and on and as yet have had no problems.

My only issue is whether or not I should change SATA options back, but so far all is good.

I hope this help, it may not though.

:]

Sam.

Hello, Sorry for necro-bumping, but this solution seemed to have worked for me too on my Dell Inspiron 1420 which kept crashing in the middle of the Vista Loading screen and crcdisk.sys loading in safemode with STOP : 0x0000007B ( 0x80403BA0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000 0x00000000 ). Just thought I'd leave this confirmation in the archives for anyone else experiencing this problem.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:16 PM
  • Please add my solution:

In BIOS, the key problem was:

I changed setting of hard disk from AHCI to COMPABILITY.

After that, Vista COULD NOT boot. When I tried safemode, Vista showed crcdisk.sys and stopped and showed blue screen.

I used software TRUEIMAGE to copy Vista to another hard disk. Still, when I tried safemode, Vista showed crcdisk.sys and stopped and showed blue screen.

My solution that I hope will help someone:

In BIOS, the key solution was:

I changed setting of hard disk from COMPABILITY to AHCI. Then, Vista booted successfully.

My point: crcdisk.sys is not only about HARD DISK being physically damaged.

In my case, crcdisk.sys was about setting of SATA hard disk inside BIOS.

Hope my information will help someone. Please share your success solution. Thank you very much.

Friday, August 31, 2012 6:06 PM
  • Sorry to bump but im having the same issue and im not quite sure on how to Navigate to c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and rename pcmcia.sys to pcmcia.old.

I don't know how to do this using the command prompt.

Any help would be great thanks.

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 2:18 PM
  • Click Start - All Programs - Accessories - Right click Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator. Type

ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\pcmcia.sys *.old

--
    --
    "shortaii" wrote in message news:0f710413-bfa7-4195-bd5f-6b1ed1206bf2...

Sorry to bump but im having the same issue and im not quite sure on how to Navigate to c:\windows\system32\drivers\ and rename pcmcia.sys to pcmcia.old.

I don't know how to do this using the command prompt.

Any help would be great thanks.

David Candy
    Wednesday, January 09, 2013 7:51 PM
  • Hi guys.....I was compelled to join this site to help anyone else who has discovered this problem. I encountered this error on my PC two days ago and after 2 days of reading and tried and failed attempts to resolve it I finally stumbled across a fix that's worked for me. ( fingers crossed it stays this way ).

First  off I'm running Vista 32 home edition. Q6600 processor with Asus P5KC motherboard. It's interesting to note what some people have been saying about whether this is an issue exclusive to Asus or not. Anyway here goes:

First off as everyone knows by now the crcdisk.sys error does not allow you to load up to your desktop. So I reinstalled windows on my D drive  as I really didn't have anything worth keeping on that drive. Once installed I gained access to the C drive via the newly created windows install on the D drive. I went to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and just deleted the file named crcdisk.sys. And then restarted my computer on the C drive rather than the D drive. So far this has worked for me with no issues. I suppose my way only works for people with access to two HD drives but at least this is one way of fixing it. ( I'm not that confident using the comand prompt to be honest ).

Someone noted earlier to rename the crcdisk.sys to crcdisk.sys.old...... that didn't work for me and only worked when I deleted the file completely. 

Hope this helps anyone who encounters this. Good luck.......

Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:26 PM