boot failure after windows updates RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very annoying problem for weeks, now:
    Almost every time my vista home premium 64-bit installs a windows update automatically, the system won't boot up anymore. The last displayed driver loaded is crcdisk.sys, but I think, it's the audio drivers which cause the crash (unfortunately, boot logging won't create a log...). The solution to make the system boot again is:
    • boot in safe mode
    • restore the system volume to the last recovery point before windows update
    • boot again
    This is not very convenient. So I would like to ask if anyone has got the same problem and maybe got a real solution to this problem?

My system is:
    • Gigabyte P35-DS4
    • Onboard sound
    • Intel Q6600
    • 4GB RAM
    • 2*500GB HD as 1GB raid (with Gigabyte controller)
    • ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
    • Windows vista home premium 64-bit

Monday, January 28, 2008 11:55 AM

Answers

• Well, it seems like the SPTD driver was not the only cause, even though it was one cause. But yesterday, KB941833 was installed and - guess what: I couldn't boot anymore. So I went to protected mode, chose the last restore point before the update and everything worked fine, again.

I should get paid for being a beta tester of 64-bit Vista
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 11:50 AM

All replies

•  

Hi fvzeppelin,

Thank you for the post.

The issue can occur if one of the updates is not fully compatible with your system.

Currently, I suggest installing these updates one at a time to find the problematic update.

Then you can hide this update and install the remaining updates.

Actually, all drivers released on the Windows Update site are provided by the hardware manufacturers. Microsoft does not develop, manufacture and provide drivers for third party hardware devices. Only for customer's convenience, Microsoft offers these devices on its update web site. Therefore, I suggest we do not install this driver update if your hardware devices work properly. if you really need to update the drivers, we can directly go to the computer manufacturers' sites to download the latest drivers.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, January 31, 2008 2:29 AM
  • Hi Tim,

well, the problem did not occur when updating drivers but when installing common windows updates. But finally, it seems that the cause of the problem was a driver: The SPTD driver from here:
    http://www.duplexsecure.com/en/downloads
    They seem to have an updated driver for 64 bit architectures which fixes "boot problems on some x64 systems". I didn't try...

Friday, February 1, 2008 9:37 PM
  • Well, it seems like the SPTD driver was not the only cause, even though it was one cause. But yesterday, KB941833 was installed and - guess what: I couldn't boot anymore. So I went to protected mode, chose the last restore point before the update and everything worked fine, again.

I should get paid for being a beta tester of 64-bit Vista
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 11:50 AM