none
Supported Canon scanners in Windows 7 64 bit

Question

• I realise that the Canon N670U scanner is not supported by Canon, but according to the Canon Website, the LiDe 20 scanner is. Up until now, both scanners used the same driver, so it seems strange that one is supported and the other is not. However, though Canon says new drivers will be on the website for the release of Windows 7, none has appeared yet. Can anyone explain this.

As an aside, I can get the scanner to work using Vuescan, but the cost of buying this utility and being tied to the supplier, compared with simply buying a new scanner is not worth it. It does prove, though that a N670U can work in a Windows 7 64 bit environment.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 6:09 PM

Answers

• You can use the same driver as the LiDe 20 or several others that work in Win7 but you can't run the setup program to install it. You will have to both manually extract the driver from the Canon supplied .exe and choose the driver to be installed manually. Use 7Zip to get inside the .exe and then again inside one of the other folders. Put that driver directory aside. Then take your unidentified device and go through the process of manually choosing a driver for which you have the discs and for which Windows doesn't agree you are using the right driver. It will work fine.

I tried that a few weeks ago after reading another forum, and even though I installed the driver, and could see the device as supposedly working in control panel, it still did not work.

I have now bought a new Lide 100 off Ebay for £22. No point wasting time messing with drivers when a new working replacement is so cheap.
    • Marked as answer by Peter Lanky Saturday, March 13, 2010 7:17 PM
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 7:16 PM

All replies

• I realise that the Canon N670U scanner is not supported by Canon, but according to the Canon Website, the LiDe 20 scanner is. Up until now, both scanners used the same driver, so it seems strange that one is supported and the other is not. However, though Canon says new drivers will be on the website for the release of Windows 7, none has appeared yet. Can anyone explain this.

As an aside, I can get the scanner to work using Vuescan, but the cost of buying this utility and being tied to the supplier, compared with simply buying a new scanner is not worth it. It does prove, though that a N670U can work in a Windows 7 64 bit environment.

There is no 64-bit driver posted for the LiDe 20 so what leads you to believe the N670U can work in Win 7 x64?  The 32-bit driver does state it is for both scanners, including for Win 7.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 7:06 PM
  • The scanner worked using the Vuescan software I temporarily installed, proving it can work in 64 bit. That is proof enough for me.

I have not seen any anything on the Canon websites that says anything saying the 32 bit works in Windows 7. If I select any scanner in the downloads section, and select Windows 7 as the O/S, then no results are returned. Where are these drivers?
    Friday, October 30, 2009 7:27 PM
  • The scanner worked using the Vuescan software I temporarily installed, proving it can work in 64 bit. That is proof enough for me.

I have not seen any anything on the Canon websites that says anything saying the 32 bit works in Windows 7. If I select any scanner in the downloads section, and select Windows 7 as the O/S, then no results are returned. Where are these drivers?

Go to http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=351&modelid=6624 and you will see Windows 7 in the pull down for the OS selection.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 8:09 PM
  • That one definitely doesn't work.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 10:42 AM
  • That one definitely doesn't work.

Then contact Canon Support and tell them about the problem.

Telling Microsoft about a problem with a Canon driver isn't going to accomplish anything.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:39 PM

• Then contact Canon Support and tell them about the problem.

Telling Microsoft about a problem with a Canon driver isn't going to accomplish anything.
    1) Why has this post been defined as "The Answer". Is certainly does not solve the problem.

2) There is little point in telling Canon, as Canon has not released any 64 bit drivers.

3) I am not asking Microsoft anything. I am posting on a forum where hopefully somebody will post something more helpful than this post.
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 3:39 PM
  • Peter,   I'm running into the same issue as you.  Have to agree with you, this is a great, reliable scanner.  Unfortunately, it does not look like Canon has any plans to support it in Windows 7 32-bit -- let alone Windows 7 64-bit. The below list of supported products is from Canon's website. 

Issue: Does my product have Windows 7 support?

Solution: Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility (Consumer Scanners)

Scanner Support for Windows 7

The Flatbed Scanners to supporting Windows 7 are shown below.

Scanner Model

Windows 7
    (32bit)
    Windows 7
    (64bit)
    3000ex Yes No
    3200F Yes No
    8000F Yes No
    LiDE 20 Yes No
    LiDE 35 Yes No
    LiDE 80 Yes No
    4200F Yes Yes
    4400F Yes Yes
    5600F Yes Yes
    8400F Yes Yes
    8600F Yes Yes
    8800F Yes Yes
    9950F Yes Yes
    LiDE 25 Yes Yes
    LiDE 500F Yes Yes
    LiDE 60 Yes Yes
    LiDE 600F Yes Yes
    LiDE 70 Yes Yes
    LiDE 90 Yes Yes
    LiDE 100 Yes Yes
    LiDE 200 Yes Yes
    LiDE 700F Yes Yes

Scanner models not listed above are not supported in Windows 7.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 3:36 AM
  • Peter, install the Windows 7 64-bit driver for the LIDE-60. It worked for me. My LIDE-35 is up and running. ;-)
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:34 PM
  • Peter, install the Windows 7 64-bit driver for the LIDE-60. It worked for me. My LIDE-35 is up and running. ;-)
    I tried that one a couple of days ago after doing some research, but no luck. I tried it both with and without the scanner connected. I can extract the file 'setupSG.exe', but I still can't see the result of running this command.
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 3:23 PM
  • Recently upgraded to Win7 Professional (64-bit version) and decided to try installing my Canon CanoScan N670U scanner in XP mode (Windows XP operating as a virtual PC within Windows 7).

Using the standard Windows XP driver for this scanner on the Canon website, the scanner is fully functional! No need for Vuescan or any other third-party app.

So if you have a qualifying version of Windows 7 (Pro and Ultimate, but not Home or Home Premium), and a PC that supports virtual systems, you can resurrect your scanner using XP drivers. In my experience, 64-bit is no longer a barrier.

The downside (if you can call it that) is that you'll have to install your imaging applications within Windows XP. Considering I now have my scanner back, this is a very minor inconvenience that I'm willing to tolerate.
    • Proposed as answer by jasonacg Sunday, January 17, 2010 7:47 PM
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 7:46 PM
  • I had the sme problem with an old Canon Scanner - much older than yours in fact: CanoScan D646U (which I managed to get working with Win 7 x86 but no luck with x64). VMware Player worked like a charm - v easy to install an older version of Windows in a virual environment, install yr scanner software there and scan from there, either using the defult Windows imaging/fax and scan program or the software that came with yr scanner. Or a third-party imaging app like photoshop which also needs to be instaled within the virtul environment. Other choices would be Windows Virtual PC or VirtualBox (open-source I gather). I was just about to buy a new scanner but now I don't have to :-)
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 2:04 PM
  • You can use the same driver as the LiDe 20 or several others that work in Win7 but you can't run the setup program to install it. You will have to both manually extract the driver from the Canon supplied .exe and choose the driver to be installed manually. Use 7Zip to get inside the .exe and then again inside one of the other folders. Put that driver directory aside. Then take your unidentified device and go through the process of manually choosing a driver for which you have the discs and for which Windows doesn't agree you are using the right driver. It will work fine.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:07 PM

I tried that a few weeks ago after reading another forum, and even though I installed the driver, and could see the device as supposedly working in control panel, it still did not work.

I have now bought a new Lide 100 off Ebay for £22. No point wasting time messing with drivers when a new working replacement is so cheap.
    • Marked as answer by Peter Lanky Saturday, March 13, 2010 7:17 PM
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 7:16 PM
  • I use Win 7 XP Mode. Now my LiDE 600F works fine.

IF you have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate you can run Windows XP Mode. Get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Once XP Mode is installed, add the Canon drivers and software to XP Mode.  I recommend you config the Canon application to save scans somewhere on your hard drive other than the default XPMUser location, like maybe Public or your own folder = makes it easier to find your scans later. Grab the path from a Win7 directory window and paste that into the application, e.g., C:\Users\Public\Pictures

Config the Canon application to start as XP Mode, which will add an icon: "CanoScan Toolbox 5.0 (Windows XP Mode)" to Win7 start menu. The application will start as XP Mode in Win7. Right click its tab on the Win7 taskbar and click "Manage USB devices", find your scanner in the list and click "Attach". You're good to go. The buttons on my scanner don't respond with this solution, so I scan using the on-screen buttons. Works fine.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 11:14 PM
  • I've had the same issues with the N670U scanner. Here is my solution. If you have an old windows xp 32 bit cd, you can install a free open source software called VirtualBox (developed by Sun Micro http://www.virtualbox.org/ ) and install Windows XP on it. VirtualBox will run XP 32bit from within your windows 7 64bit. You can do save states so that it starts up superfast when it's fully configured. install in the XP virtualbox the drivers for your Canoscan. It take a bit of doing but all my 32bit drivers work perfectly under Virtualbox in my Windows 7 64bit.
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 6:02 PM
  • Please, translate. Bonsoir. J'avais un problème avec un scanner Canon de 1998, N670U. J'ai trouvé sur  un forum une solution miracle et gratuite pour à peu près tous les scanners : http://www.vuescan.fr/. J'ai W 7 x64. Impeccable. Cordialement. Bernard.
    Saturday, August 07, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Just install the wia driver for vista 64 and it works.

You need to extract them manually from the zip and then do an update driver from the device manager

Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:22 AM
  • Please, translate. Bonsoir. J'avais un problème avec un scanner Canon de 1998, N670U. J'ai trouvé sur  un forum une solution miracle et gratuite pour à peu près tous les scanners : http://www.vuescan.fr/ . J'ai W 7 x64. Impeccable. Cordialement. Bernard.

Good evening. I had a problem with a Canon N670U 1998 scanner.

I found a free miracle solution on a forum, which works on almost all the scanners: http://www.vuescan.fr/. I run WIN 7 X64. Perfect. Best wishes.

(This is the translation of the quote.)

Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:00 PM
  • While it is quite true that Vuescan does work, it is not free, with the basic version costing around the same price as a replacement scanner (Lide100), and the unrestricted version costs twice as much as a replacement scanner. Unless Using W7 professional or ultimate, the only realistic option is to throw the scanner away and buy a refurbished LIDE100 off Ebay or replace with the latest model.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:16 PM
  • I need a "HOW TO" to build a scanner driver or better the original source code from canon !!!

for LIDE 20.

It is for canon a work from 5 min to make a new 64bit driver.

It is the last product form canon for me...

Friday, October 08, 2010 7:47 AM
  • It is the last product form canon for me...

Cannot agree more. It is sad that hardware manufacturers make your hardware obsolete this way. Should I trow up completely functional scanner just because Canon doesn't want to support it? Well... it seems like I don't have a choice. But I will definitely have choice when choosing new scanner manufacturer...
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 7:05 PM
  • Try using Canoscan Toolbox 4.1. I have this working for my Canoscan U670U on Windows 7 32bit:

http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0024686.asp?model=

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 7:25 AM
  • I use Win 7 XP Mode. Now my LiDE 600F works fine.

IF you have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate you can run Windows XP Mode. Get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Once XP Mode is installed, add the Canon drivers and software to XP Mode.  I recommend you config the Canon application to save scans somewhere on your hard drive other than the default XPMUser location, like maybe Public or your own folder = makes it easier to find your scans later. Grab the path from a Win7 directory window and paste that into the application, e.g., C:\Users\Public\Pictures

Config the Canon application to start as XP Mode, which will add an icon: "CanoScan Toolbox 5.0 (Windows XP Mode)" to Win7 start menu. The application will start as XP Mode in Win7. Right click its tab on the Win7 taskbar and click "Manage USB devices", find your scanner in the list and click "Attach". You're good to go. The buttons on my scanner don't respond with this solution, so I scan using the on-screen buttons. Works fine.

It is as it says. I installed Windows XP Mode then Virtual PC on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 OS.

Just a little addition:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7  here is a tutorial how to install XMode on windows 7.

1)     To set up Windows XP Mode for first use

On this step I expirienced very slow Setup process ending up with error "try again". I Disabled my NOD 32 / Lavasoft Ad-Aware and retried the setup. It did it for less than five minutes.
    I installed ScanGear CS and CanoScan Toolbox (in the virtual XP OS) and it was all good.

To use it properly, Start XPMode (Attach CanoScan) minimize the window and run the toobox application. (In Windows 7, click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click Windows Virtual PC, click Windows XP Mode Applications, and then click the program you want to open. ) That way you wont get the message saying "Unable to detect TWAIN source".

I did tihs with Cannon LiDE 20.

• Proposed as answer by Gryncho Sunday, May 22, 2011 3:48 PM
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 3:45 PM
  • The Vuesacn it really works on Lide C20. Its a very easy to use software. As the brands only are interested to sell new hardware, there are companies which are friendly to the consumers and enviroment aware. VUESCAN IT RULES!
    Monday, June 06, 2011 3:58 PM
  • this made it work for me:

1. download the Win 7 x64 driver for the LIDE 25

2. extract the .exe file, then extract the setupSG.exe file (use WinRAR, 7Zip, WinZip, one of those)

3. edit the CNQL25.inf file and make the following changes:

[Models]

%LPTENUM\CNQL25.DeviceDesc%=CNQL25Install,USB\VID_04A9&PID_2220

[Models.NTamd64]

%LPTENUM\CNQL25.DeviceDesc%=CNQL25Install_x64,USB\VID_04a9&PID_2220

change "PID_2220" to "PID_220D" on both sections

save the file. use the device manager to install the driver. point it to the inf file and it should install without problems. choose "install this driver anyway" on the security warning.

this is not a TWAIN driver, that i can find, so it won't work directly from photoshop (at least not the 64-bit PS - i didn't try 32-bit). install the CanoScan Toolbox x64 version that's on the same download page and that should give you scanning functionality.

no need for resource-hogging virtual environments just to run a scanner!

• Edited by devolution23 Friday, June 17, 2011 10:33 PM formatting corrections
    • Proposed as answer by damz2009 Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:30 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by damz2009 Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:41 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Miles Anderson Sunday, February 19, 2012 2:20 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 10:22 PM
  • ok, never mind. while that gets the scanner driver to install, there's still no TWAIN driver, so Photoshop won't recognize it and the CanoScan Toolbox won't really do anything either. i hadn't tested that part yet. someone else is welcome to try and make that work. there's TWAIN driver files in the "CNQSG110" folder in the LIDE 25 drivers, but i don't know how to get them to install or how to register this scanner with teh TWAIN subsystem. the SetupSG.exe file won't do anything, so i'm giving up.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 11:27 PM
  • Thaanks from Hungary!!!! Is it work for me! (Canon Lide 20 with Win7 X64!) Thanks, thanks mate!!

cyu

Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:33 PM
  • Thaanks from Hungary!!!! Is it work for me! (Canon Lide 20 with Win7 X64!) Thanks, thanks mate!!

cyu

what did you do?? please elaborate.

Monday, December 05, 2011 8:26 AM
  • I have just got windows 7.

Canon Lide 30 not compatible either, as confirmed to  me by Canon yestreday.  It also will not work with generic drivers....time to reinvest it seems...well done bloody Microsoft yet again...!!!

Monday, January 23, 2012 12:07 PM
  • Cano Scan toolbox works spot on for me to! Windows 7 32 BIT that is!

http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0024686.asp?model=

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 9:16 PM
  • beltandbraces wrote:

I have just got windows 7.

Canon Lide 30 not compatible either, as confirmed to  me by Canon yestreday.  It also will not work with generic drivers....time to reinvest it seems...well done bloody Microsoft yet again...!!!

Your post is totally ignorant!  Why would Microsoft be responsible for Canon not supporting Canon hardware?

That make no sense whatsoever!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 9:42 PM
  • Please, translate. Bonsoir. J'avais un problème avec un scanner Canon de 1998, N670U. J'ai trouvé sur  un forum une solution miracle et gratuite pour à peu près tous les scanners : http://www.vuescan.fr/. J'ai W 7 x64. Impeccable. Cordialement. Bernard.

I've had an issue with a 1998 N670U Canon scanner. I found a free, fantastic solution that works on nearly all the scanners. http://www.vuescan.fr/ . I have W 7 X 64. Impeccable. Cordially, Bernard. 

The best I can muster from Middle School French classes. Later.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 3:01 AM
  • Thank you for this solution, but unfortunately, I tried it on W8 and the installation of the driver was rejected due to hachage probleme. It seems these is a key stored in the CNQL25.cat file and I dont know how to rebuild this key after the modification of CNQL25.inf file.

If you have any idea to progress on this instal I'll appreciate

Friday, December 28, 2012 6:26 PM
  • Great THANK YOU from Hungary! It works like a charm! Very clever and well made solution! Thank You very much, You spared me buying a new scanner!
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Hi,

I am trying to get the N670U to run on my W7-64bit.

Can you share how your got it working

Thanks

Sunday, March 02, 2014 6:15 PM
  • Glad I saw your chart. I run win 8.1 64 bit. Have a Lide 60 and had given up trying other suggestions and was ready to go buy a new scanner. I downloaded the 64 bit win 7 driver and it worked on the first try. Thanks. I owe you a drink.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:28 PM