none
Unable to start DHCP Client Service - Error 2

Question

• hi There,

I have a Windows Vista Business SP2.

I'm facing a issue with the DHCP Client Service, when i try to start the service it says "Windows could not start the DHCP Client service on local computer. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified ".

I tried running "sfc /scannow " as a administrator, but no luck. I did go thru the forums to find a similar issue, but strangely no one has reported anything as such (or i didnt search thoroughly)

I do not have a DHCP server, i do assign static IPs for all systems.

Please help me to understand this issue and fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Karthik

Monday, October 18, 2010 3:21 PM

Answers

• When you ran sfc /scannow, what was the response? did you allow it complete the process?/ its supposed to ask you to insert the Vista DVD? did it?
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:51 PM

All replies

• hello there..

Anyone any ideas  plz..

Thanks

Karthik,

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:04 AM
  • When you ran sfc /scannow, what was the response? did you allow it complete the process?/ its supposed to ask you to insert the Vista DVD? did it?
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:51 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your post!

Please try to replace the following key from a known good computer:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\DHCP

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your post!

Please try to replace the following key from a known good computer:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\DHCP

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    How do you replace the key from a known good computer? I'm having this same issue and would like to attempt this fix without killing the rest of my computer. I have Windows Vista Home Premium.
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 1:33 AM