none
Security Monthly Quality Rollup installs but still shows as needed RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a problem with a number of my Windows 7 x64 machines starting with the July Rollup (KB4338818) and still happening with August (KB4343900).  The update installs without any errors, but still shows as needed.  I've tried all the basics:  resetting the WU client, scf /scannow, installing from local WSUS, installing online from Microsoft and installing from the offline installer downloaded from the update catalog. Nothing works. I don't see anything in the cbs log and all I see in Event Viewer is that it installed successfully. All other updates install just fine.
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 6:24 PM

All replies

• Maybe open cmd in Administrator,type: services.msc  in msc,scroll to Windows Installer/double click/set to Auto Start/start service.Next scroll to Win Modules,do same,exit msc.Retry the installation.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=4343900

Try downloading both from Win update catalog,if never used,look for the Microsoft Active X installation...

Thursday, September 6, 2018 6:51 PM
  • No change. Still installs without error and is reported as needed.
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 7:48 PM
  • Hi, Rgaven
    We can try the following ways to troubleshoot the issue:

1. According to your description "I've tried all the basics:  resetting the WU client, scf /scannow, installing from local WSUS, installing online from Microsoft and installing from the offline installer downloaded from the update catalog. Nothing works.", when we reinstall the WU client, we check the time of reinstalling as below, check if the time and the KB  numbers are the same as we reinstalled.

1. Open "Powershell".
    2. Run as administrator.3. Type get-hotfix.4. Click Enter.

2. According to your description "Security Monthly Quality Rollup installs but still shows as needed", Do you mean it still shows the same KB numbers, such as KB4343900 and KB4338818? 

If it still shows the different KB numbers, it may be that the server policy setting causes the KB number to be displayed.

If it still shows the same KB numbers, we can try to take a client off the domain, then install online from Microsoft or install from the offline installer downloaded from the update catalog. Then view if it still shows as needed. If it still shows the same KB numbers, it may be that the client policy setting causes the KB number to be displayed.

We can try to compare the policy settings of windows update between WSUS and client, and then see if there is any difference between the same policy settings between them.
    Go to Group Policy Editor->Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Update

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 7, 2018 6:39 AM
  • Until the August rollup came out it was stuck on the July rollup (KB4338818).  Now it's stuck on the August rollup (KB4343900). After it's installed (without error) it does not show as an installed update.  It does not list in the get-hotfix results.  Taking the computers off the domain is not an option.  To test your theory, I moved one of the machines to a testing OU where no GPOs are applied.  I ran gpupdate and gpresult to confirm the machine is not applying any GPOs.  The Windows update GUI confirms it is no longer configured to use WSUS and the clients was completely un-configured. Checked online for update.  Only needed important is KB4343900. It installed without error.  I check for updates again and KB4343900 still shows as needed.  Next I ran the offline installer of KB4343900.  It installed without error.  I check for updates and it still shows KB4343900 as needed.

It never produces an error installing.  It never lists as installed.  The July rollup did the exact same thing until it was superseded by the August rollup.

Friday, September 7, 2018 6:18 PM
  • I should have probably mentioned this before, I only have 6 machines attached to my WSUS server doing this. I have 250 that list as installed/not needed. To me that says the problem isn't with WSUS, GPO or AD.
    Friday, September 7, 2018 11:42 PM
  • Hi, RGaven
    Step 1. Can we try to compare the policy settings of windows update between the client without issue and the client with issue, and then see if there is any difference between the same policy settings between them.

Step 2. If yes, try to modify the policy setting of client with issue, then try to install Security Monthly Quality Rollup, then view if the issue still exists.
    If no, we try to reset update of one of the 6 clients with the following command:
    1.Now type the following commands to stop Windows Update Services and then hit Enter after each one:
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop cryptSvc
    net stop bits
    net stop msiserver
    2.Next, type the following command to rename SoftwareDistribution Folder and then hit Enter:
    ren <C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old>
    ren <C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old>
    3.Finally, type the following command to start Windows Update Services and hit Enter after each one:
    net start wuauserv
    net start cryptSvc
    net start bits
    net start msiserver
    4.Reboot our client to save changes. 

Step 3. Try to check for problems in windows update and fix them using Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Step 4. Try to install Security Monthly Quality Rollup, then view if the issue still exists.

Step 5. If the issue still exists, please collect the windowsupdate log and cbs log.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 4:14 AM
  • What does it say when you check the Update History?  This is where I finally saw that despite me thinking everything was installing correctly, and the computer showing that I still needed the update - it was failing - and reverting changes upon the reboot after the install. 

I'm living with this issue. I have tried everything except what will fix this issue, including the suggestions in this thread. Seriously, everything except re-installing Windows 7 - which based on the number of desktops I manage is not really a solution. I've been having the issue since February '18. 

What I've learned is that you receive all the necessary security patches via other updates, so I am looking at how to block the "Security Monthly Quality Rollups" on my workstations. 

Sorry if this is overly simplistic - I just know I overlooked it, and once I saw it in Update History... well, I still couldn't fix the issue - but I could isolate it to the "Security Monthly Quality Rollups".

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 6:20 PM
  • Hi,
    If this issue has any update or is this issue solved? Also, for the problem, is there any other assistance we could provide?

Friday, September 14, 2018 9:10 AM
  • Hi,
    I am just writing to see if this issue has any update. If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:28 AM