none
belkin F5D8053 wireless usb adapter drop connection in windows 7 !

Question

• I have a Belkin N wi fi router that works fine with supplied belkin F5D8053 wireless usb adapter in XP. Installed Windows 7 today and drivers install fine (lastest ver 3 drivers from their site) but after a while the connection drops and the icon near the clock says no connection.
    Popping into device manager and disabling and enabling the device fixes the problem for another 30 mins or so. Fiddled with advanced driver settings. Set "Cam when AC power" and power saving to CAM and it still drops. 

Dropped to dos promt and set ping command to ping -t 192.168.2.1 for continous ping and it still eventaully drops the connection so it's not an "switch off when the pc is idle for a period of time" type problem. Any ideas what I can do? Really want to enjoy the beta but if I can't access the web reliably it's useless > same problem as Vista beta and RC 1 was back when I had a netgear adapter.

I have tried with eduroam network ( in Portugal at Universidade de Coimbra ) and the connection drops too .

Does anyone know a possible solution for this ?

best regards,

Tiago Santiago

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 10:13 PM

Answers

•   Ok, so it seems like I MAY have solved things.  Here is what I did with my F5D803 Belkin N usb stick to get it stable in Windows (so far.)  I uninstalled ALL of the belkin software for the stick, both software and drivers.  After a computer restart, I inserted the included Belkin CD in the cd drive, but didn't run it.  Then, I plugged the usb stick into the PC without using a usb hub or the included usb extension cord....just straight into the computer.  Next, I went into the device manager, right clicked on the Belkin stick, selected properties-->hardware tab-->properties button --> driver tab --> update driver button.  From there, I selected "browse my computer for driver software"  and selected my CD drive.  The computer automatically found the driver for the usb stick on the CD, and things seem to be working well....so far!

So, in a nutshell,  try getting rid of all the Belkin software, and just updating the driver from the disk, and things may be more stable for you.  I'm not even gonna mess around with updating the driver from the website, because that has only caused me problems in the past.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 3:36 PM
  • RahMan_com said:

I have a Belkin N wi fi router that works fine with supplied belkin F5D8053 wireless usb adapter in XP. Installed Windows 7 today and drivers install fine (lastest ver 3 drivers from their site) but after a while the connection drops and the icon near the clock says no connection.
    Popping into device manager and disabling and enabling the device fixes the problem for another 30 mins or so. Fiddled with advanced driver settings. Set "Cam when AC power" and power saving to CAM and it still drops. 

Dropped to dos promt and set ping command to ping -t 192.168.2.1 for continous ping and it still eventaully drops the connection so it's not an "switch off when the pc is idle for a period of time" type problem. Any ideas what I can do? Really want to enjoy the beta but if I can't access the web reliably it's useless > same problem as Vista beta and RC 1 was back when I had a netgear adapter.

I have tried with eduroam network ( in Portugal at Universidade de Coimbra ) and the connection drops too .

best regards,

Tiago Santiago

Tiago

Please understand that a device that "works fine in XP" is not a good test for how the device will work in Windows 7.

The Hardware Device Driver Model underwent major changes in Windows Vista and has undergone even more changes in Windows 7.

The first thing you need to look for are Vista compatible drivers/firmware for the device. If these do work, you can try using the Compatibility Mode when installng the drivers. Simply right click the driver installation file, select the Compatibility Tab and use the drop down menu to select Windows Vista. If this does not work, then select Windows XP in the compatibility list and try again.

See the following thread for some other troubleshooting steps you can try.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

Remember that we are still in the very early stages of the beta. Microsoft is working with many thousands of hardware makers to get their drivers updated for compatibility with Windows 7.

See the following article for more information.

Primer on Device Support and Testing for Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:12 AM
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 10:22 PM
  • I try to use the 1xxx - 2/5/08 - 2.0.0.4 driver version of F5D8053 and now I'm surfing ;)

Before DISINSTALL the old driver, sconnect and reconnect the usb adapter, then install the new driver.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:32 PM

All replies

• anyone :) ?
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 4:28 PM
  • laptop or desktop? also their a v.4 available...Version 4xxx Driver Date Ver OS 
    10/6/08 2.03.07 Windows 2000, Windows XP 32 BIT, Windows Vista 32 bit, Windows Vista 64 bit on their web site.
    If it works oK with Xp, check anyways,1# Try a diffent channel 1 to 11, 2# if it drops the connection, pick adapter up and see how warm it is, 3# Try not to place the wireless router near cordless 2.4 ghz phone and check and see if Window 7 by default, will turn off the device to save conserve energy  ......jcr46385
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 9:05 PM
  • RahMan_com said:

I have a Belkin N wi fi router that works fine with supplied belkin F5D8053 wireless usb adapter in XP. Installed Windows 7 today and drivers install fine (lastest ver 3 drivers from their site) but after a while the connection drops and the icon near the clock says no connection.

best regards,

Tiago Santiago

Tiago

Please understand that a device that "works fine in XP" is not a good test for how the device will work in Windows 7.

The Hardware Device Driver Model underwent major changes in Windows Vista and has undergone even more changes in Windows 7.

The first thing you need to look for are Vista compatible drivers/firmware for the device. If these do work, you can try using the Compatibility Mode when installng the drivers. Simply right click the driver installation file, select the Compatibility Tab and use the drop down menu to select Windows Vista. If this does not work, then select Windows XP in the compatibility list and try again.

See the following thread for some other troubleshooting steps you can try.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

Remember that we are still in the very early stages of the beta. Microsoft is working with many thousands of hardware makers to get their drivers updated for compatibility with Windows 7.

See the following article for more information.

Primer on Device Support and Testing for Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:12 AM
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 10:22 PM
  • i have the same problem, has there been answer for this?

running windows 7 RC on intel core i7 platform,

connection just drops off and changing driver settings does not help
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:59 PM
  •   I am having the same problem.  I think that it may be the usb key dongle itself.  I had issues with XP, then they went away when I put the dongle in a different usb port.  Then, I installed Windows 7, and everything was fine.  Now, I moved my computer to a different part of the room, plugged in everything the same, and I'm having disconnect issues again.  I've tried different USB ports, but nothing is working.  wtf?
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:42 PM
  • It looks like my problem was using USB hubs and/or the included usb extension cord/base.  I tried plugging my usb stick directly into the pc, and it has been stable longer than normal, and isn't overheating like before.  Try plugging that sucker straight in, although its a pain, because the usb stick is so big, and takes up a lot of space.

Friday, May 22, 2009 5:13 AM
  • dang, never mind.  it just kicked me again :(
    Friday, May 22, 2009 5:16 AM
  •   Ok, so it seems like I MAY have solved things.  Here is what I did with my F5D803 Belkin N usb stick to get it stable in Windows (so far.)  I uninstalled ALL of the belkin software for the stick, both software and drivers.  After a computer restart, I inserted the included Belkin CD in the cd drive, but didn't run it.  Then, I plugged the usb stick into the PC without using a usb hub or the included usb extension cord....just straight into the computer.  Next, I went into the device manager, right clicked on the Belkin stick, selected properties-->hardware tab-->properties button --> driver tab --> update driver button.  From there, I selected "browse my computer for driver software"  and selected my CD drive.  The computer automatically found the driver for the usb stick on the CD, and things seem to be working well....so far!

So, in a nutshell,  try getting rid of all the Belkin software, and just updating the driver from the disk, and things may be more stable for you.  I'm not even gonna mess around with updating the driver from the website, because that has only caused me problems in the past.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 3:36 PM
  •  Just to update, my Belkin N usb stick has remained solid for 24 hours, so I think I finally resolved things, after a very frustrating few weeks :)
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 6:56 PM
  • Hows your connection? I have a Belkin f5d8053 adapter and can't get it to remain connected for any longer than 2-3 minutes. I have 2 adapters for 2 different computers, version 1 & 3 and I have tried both adapters with their relative drivers without software and I still get drop outs. Connection doesn't drop from vista. What version adapter do you have?
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 12:49 PM
  • I can't get mine to install. I have tried everything from installing from the Device Manager (update driver) to running the driver install programs from Belkin but Windows 7 will not install it. Win7 keeps saying it cannot find a driver. I have tried every Vista64 version Belkin has for the f5d8053 but none work. I've tried using different USB ports to no avail.
    I have tried the compatibility install too but no luck. I have uninstalled reinstalled and restarted to many times to count. What else is left?
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:57 AM
  • I try to use the 1xxx - 2/5/08 - 2.0.0.4 driver version of F5D8053 and now I'm surfing ;)

Before DISINSTALL the old driver, sconnect and reconnect the usb adapter, then install the new driver.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:32 PM

Yeah it works!!
    ty zzz.andre ;)
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:28 PM
  • This is something im just trying that might fix the problem, going to leave my pc on over night to confirm it works

OK, i think its the USB slot the adaptor is plugged in to, going in to standbye mode to save power,

to stop it doing this:

Go to Device manager, view by connection

Find the USB Root Hub that the Wireless Adaptor is connected to, you will have to look about to find it
    Go in to its properties and then click the power management tab on that,
    and uncheck the box to allow the computer to turn off the device to save power.

Hope this works,

ttfn
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:54 PM
  • I've been experiencing a much more stable connection after doing the driver install from the CD without any additional Belkin software as douglasf13 suggested. 

Hope this works for everyone else as well!!
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Thank you Douglasf13, your solution works perfect for me

Sunday, October 25, 2009 8:43 AM
  • I too....although somewhat belatedly had the same problems....

After a clean install of Windows 7 onto a system that previously used Vista and the Belkin F5D8053 Wireless USB Device, the usb decive connected momentarily and then after about 30secs - 2mins the connection would drop.

Tried everything....spent 2 hours on the phone to microsoft, before discovering this post.

Here is my solution which is thanks to Dougladf13's answer above:

- Clearing the computer and the uninstalling of all drivers and belkin software was the first step.

- Reboot Computer

- Insert Belkin USB Adapter CD that came with the dongle...but DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING.

- Indert dongle into usb port...BUT STOP WINDOWS 7 FROM INSTALLING.

- Device manager....locate the USB device under "other devices", right click it and update driver software.

- 'Search computer for driver' option and navigate the browse location to your CD/DVD drive...then search and install drivers.

Worked fine and experienced no problems (yet) anymore.

Thanks alll!
    • Proposed as answer by stevecook3dw Sunday, February 07, 2010 2:56 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:08 PM
  • douglasf13
    Thank you very much.  I just installed newly purchased Windows 7 on my 64 bit machine and couldn't get F5D803 Belkin to work.  Following your recipe, it's now operating!

I wrote too soon.  It quit on me again after about 15 minutes.
    • Proposed as answer by dccdnc Sunday, January 03, 2010 11:17 AM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 6:39 PM
  • After fighting with drivers I had problems connecting to my wireless network so I tried setting manual IP address, gateway and DNS and now it connects right away. Not sure if someone else encountered the same issue.
    In my case the router is far from the PC so I'm getting a poor signal. I'll try without the USB cord provided.
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 11:27 AM
  • Doug - Thanks.  Your solution worked.  Uninstalled the belkin software and rebooted machine and updated directly from windows 7 device manager.  Thanks!

Monday, January 25, 2010 8:43 PM
  • THIS WORKED SLICK !

Thanks for the summary answer....easy to read and find.

Info - I'm just now in Feb 2010 getting the Win 7 install done and the Belkin site still has no driver for this popular device.

• Proposed as answer by There Are Days Friday, February 12, 2010 12:47 AM
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 2:58 AM
  • Same boat, but just as I was getting further annoyed that belkin didn't have drivers listed for windows 7 they appeared today....

so far for at least the 3xxx and 4xxx series.  Hopefully this fixes the random drops for good.

Friday, February 12, 2010 12:49 AM