none
0xc0190002 error on reboot

Question

• Installed RC1 Refresh. On reboot I get 0xc0190002.

Unable to boot in to safe mode.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Error message:

!! 0xc0190002 !! 304/72466 (program_files_windows_defender_3e339011621...)

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:19 PM

Answers

•  

Booted from Vista media. Selected install. Pressed Shift+F10.

Ran chkdsk C: /F /X

rebooted

ran RSTRUI (system restore) using the appropriate command switch for my installation

Restored to pre SP1 RC. Hidden update in Windows Update.

A long way to go on this one I think.

XP SP3 beta is more stable.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:23 PM

All replies

•  

Ran chkdsk C: /F /X

rebooted

ran RSTRUI (system restore) using the appropriate command switch for my installation

Restored to pre SP1 RC. Hidden update in Windows Update.

A long way to go on this one I think.

XP SP3 beta is more stable.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:23 PM
  • Has this been verified as a procedure?

Will this save our files?

I checked the internet and it's a wellknown problem, why does microsoft doesn't do anything about it?

I called the helpdesk of the manufacturer of my desktop-pc, but they had never heard of the problem and it looks like they have no idea how to fix it.

Thanks!!

Saturday, May 31, 2008 7:56 PM
  • Hi,

Since getting this error and completing the steps I detailed above I backed up my data, reformatted and reinstalled Windows. SP1 RTM went through with no problems.

Note: I got the above error when installing the beta.

Monday, June 02, 2008 8:54 AM
  • Hi, I'm sorry, but we're totally lost in the explanation.

Could you run us through the process step by step? We need it pretty detailed and it's pretty urgent.

I hope you can help us out. We are a disaster with this kind of stuff apparently. We managed to run the chkdsk, but is it normal the rstrui takes forever? Did we do something wrong? We used c:\>rstrui.exe /OFFLINE:c:\Windows

We hope you can help us.

Thanks a lot

Monday, June 02, 2008 7:29 PM
  •  El Lens wrote:

Hi, I'm sorry, but we're totally lost in the explanation.

Could you run us through the process step by step? We need it pretty detailed and it's pretty urgent.

I hope you can help us out. We are a disaster with this kind of stuff apparently. We managed to run the chkdsk, but is it normal the rstrui takes forever? Did we do something wrong? We used c:\>rstrui.exe /OFFLINE:c:\Windows

We hope you can help us.

Thanks a lot

Hi,

I only did this once and as you can see from the original post this was months ago!

If you have access to a 2nd PC I'd put your hard disk in that and manually copy off all important documents though I'd recommend you take regular backups anyway.

This is from memory so steps might vary...

Assuming your PC is already set to boot from CD/DVD, as it is starting up you need to strike a key when prompted to boot from the Vista DVD.

Select the install option and then keep pressing Shift+F10. This gives you access to a command prompt (which may pop-up behind the Vista Install screen)

My particular problem, I think, was that my disk was "dirty" so I ran chkdsk C: /F /X to repair any errors.

I then rebooted as above and attempted a System Restore

I believe you had the right command above ( c:\>rstrui.exe /OFFLINE:c:\Windows )

I suggest you try going back 2 days prior to you getting the error above.

System Restore may take a while but it varies from PC to PC.

If this works backup your files immediately (and post back so others know!).

In my case I had a complete backup so I decided to wipe my system clean and start again but you may not want to go this far.

The manufacturer of your PC should have provided all the necessary disks etc to restore you PC to factory defaults should you wish to follow this path.

I personally keep a full system backup and regular document backups so in the event of a disaster I can restore the PC to a working state and restore any missing files.

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 8:46 AM
  • It worked great, thanks for your intelligence, something Microsoft needs.    JIM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:36 PM