none
Virtual Server Running out of space RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I started working at a new company and the first week onsite I was met with a Virtual server that is running out of space.

There is 3 snapshot files that are consuming all the space. I cannot merge these deleted snapshots with the Virtual hard drive as there is only 32GB of data left on the drive.

I was thinking of making a full data backup up to the last minute of the data disk and then deleting the snapshot files and mount only the data disk and restore the data files from backup.

I have tried creating a new snapshot and deleting it again to see if that would help, but the virtual server justa starts to merge and then run out of space. Attached is the drive as is with the snapshot files.

When I edited the virtual server in Hyper v, I saw that the D-Drive(Data) was mounted from the snapshot?

Would appreciate any advice as space is a problem and I cannot see any other solution.

Regards

Pieter

Monday, October 21, 2019 3:41 PM

All replies

• You should repost in the Hyper-V server forum if you still need help.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverhyperv&filter=alllanguages

I don't think it's possible to mount an avhdx file, but if you repost in the Hyper-V forum, can you include this screenshot also?

Snapshots shouldn't be used long term on production systems, they eat up a lot of space.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 3:54 PM