none
Microsoft Windows - The application is not responding. END PROCESS.

Question

• PLEASE...I need assistance.  Starting early this morning...I started to receive a small  box with the message:
    "The application is not responding.  The program may respond again if you wait.
    Do you want to end this process? 

It appears to be speaking of microsoft windows.  It has taken over my machine.

Saturday, February 20, 2010 5:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to confirm what application was not responding?

I would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot to check if there are any software conflicts.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, February 22, 2010 7:04 AM
  • Hello Arthur,

I've had the same error message pop up as the user that started this thread. It's happened even after a clean install of windows. The system also hangs intermittently. I've had the error message come up on clicking start or just during start up in general. In my case, would a hardware error produce this kind of issue? I can't imagine how anything else could persist through a reformat/reinstall of windows.

The title of the error message is Microsoft windows. (extra detail?)

Please let me know if you have an opinion on the issue!

Take care,

Alex

• Edited by BananaPeal1 Thursday, December 09, 2010 6:05 AM detail
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 6:03 AM
  • I have recieved the same message twice in the last week!

There is no specification to a program whatsoever. It seems to imply:

Microsoft Windows

The application is not responding. The program may respond again if you wait.

END PROCESS.

If I click End Process, it ends Windows? And the screen goes to the desktop background (with the exception of any program icons). i.e. blank.

A Ctrl+Alt+Delete does nothing here.

Yet, the system is still responsive because I can move my mouse.

Neverthless, because it is blank and there is nothing to click. I have to forcefully hold the power button and shut it down. Upon restart, my computer is fine. Yet, the fact is. The message has/and may still come back up.

Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:33 PM
  • I have the same problem and when it happnes, I can't do anything with the mouse because it spins in a circle.  Once I do end the process, my volume bar and wireless icons go away in the bottom right.  I can still work after that but would have to reboot to get the volume bar back up. 
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Me again.  Forgot to add.  If I do nothing at all, it eventually goes back to normal and I get to keep my volume etc.  But I'm too impatient to wait most times.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:08 PM
  • its windows desktop manager, just go on task manager and exit it......should fix it

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 4:03 AM
  • I'm having the same issue. Suddenly any browser or application that I open becomes unresponsive. It's a brand new installation on brand new hardware. It's worked perfectly for about a month now.

Friday, August 12, 2011 8:07 PM
  • i have been having the same problem

"I started to receive a small  box with the message"

"

"There is no specification to a program whatsoever. It seems to imply:

Microsoft Windows

The application is not responding. The program may respond again if you wait.

END PROCESS."

the message goes away if you leave the computer alone for 5-10 mins

it is just a pain in the butttt  Any solutions to this yet ???

Monday, July 02, 2012 8:40 PM
  • I started getting this error right after I cleaned out some unwanted and redundant registry items like Babylon, Bear share, etc.Maybe this triggered something?Also, This problem comes only if you impatiently click on a program/app which is not responding resulting in white background of the window.As long as you wait for a while for that circle to finish rotating,this 'Microsoft Windows' window won't appear,hopefully.You can also try to restore the system to a previous date.
    Monday, July 16, 2012 6:50 AM
  • I started getting this error right after I cleaned out some unwanted and redundant registry items like Babylon, Bear share, etc.Maybe this triggered something?Also, This problem comes only if you impatiently click on a program/app which is not responding resulting in white background of the window.As long as you wait for a while for that circle to finish rotating,this 'Microsoft Windows' window won't appear,hopefully.You can also try to restore the system to a previous date.

I started getting this error around the same time, after using CCleaner on my registry.  I'm going to try running it again first but I also have a restore point set just a few days prior.  

Posting to confirm this error happening after a registry cleaning, possible causation.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 8:34 PM
  • Hi, I use firefox and have the same issue here...not reponding text shows up esp.with the pop up pages such as share buttons on youtube and facebook and many others..what causes that?it's so annoying esp when ur trying to do a bank transfer grrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Saturday, September 29, 2012 12:14 PM
  • its windows desktop manager, just go on task manager and exit it......should fix it

This one worked for me.
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:19 AM
  • I struggled with it for so long. I disabled the dwm service and stopped it. Life is much easier now. Thanks for the fix!
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:24 PM