locked
In-Place Upgrade Fails After Install.wim downloads RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm using an in-place upgrade to upgrade 1511 and 1607 systems to 1703.

    It works sometimes, but frequently fails.

    The latest laptop I tried it on failed with error 0x80004005.

    I read that is is a generic error that has multiple causes.

    Can anyone tell from this smsts log what's causing it in this instance and what I can do to fix it?

    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtBGhqHvsNA_aGKOY8ulfhVbXBs

    Thursday, September 14, 2017 6:18 PM

Answers

  • The upgrade process returned following return code 0xC1900208 = Compatibility issues found (hard block). You would need to review Windows logs or you could also try running Windows upgrade manually. 

    There are multiple reasons why you may be running into a hard block including but not limited to language mismatch and incompatible programs just to name a few. That's why Windows setup logs would help narrowing down the issue.


    Cheers,
    Anton

    Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

    Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

    • Marked as answer by Kalimanne Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:25 PM
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:09 PM

All replies

  • The upgrade process returned following return code 0xC1900208 = Compatibility issues found (hard block). You would need to review Windows logs or you could also try running Windows upgrade manually. 

    There are multiple reasons why you may be running into a hard block including but not limited to language mismatch and incompatible programs just to name a few. That's why Windows setup logs would help narrowing down the issue.


    Cheers,
    Anton

    Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

    Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

    • Marked as answer by Kalimanne Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:25 PM
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:09 PM
  • OK, I think that points to some McAfee encryption encryption software not uninstalling.
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:24 PM
  • Removing the software made this one work, but another one failed with a similar error even though I removed that software.

    Specifically where are the relevant Windows setup logs?

    I looked in C:\Windows\Panther and the logs are for the 1511 install in 2016.

    I can't find the Windows setup logs for today's failed upgrade,

    Thursday, September 14, 2017 10:44 PM
  • I found setuperr.log at C:\, but it's blank.

    Setupact.log is also at C:\Windows, but only has 2 lines in it:

    2017-09-14 15:33:24, Info                  UI     Launching ConX setup experience
    2017-09-14 15:33:24, Info                  UI     Inspecting ConX Setup Cmdline
    2017-09-14 15:33:24, Info                  UI     Launching C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\ABC00087\Sources\SetupPrep.exe /ImageIndex 1 /auto Upgrade /quiet /noreboot /postoobe "C:\windows\SMSTSPostUpgrade\SetupComplete.cmd" /postrollback "C:\windows\SMSTSPostUpgrade\SetupRollback.cmd" /DynamicUpdate Enable

    Can't find any detailed logs on why this failed.

    smsts.log has these errors like the other one that failed due to McAfee Drive Encrytion.

    Windows Setup failed with hexadecimal exit code 0xC1900208 (decimal 3247440392). To identify the type of issue, lookup it against the table of known values of Windows Setup errors online.

    The computers are all English US, so it isn't a language issue.

    Thursday, September 14, 2017 11:08 PM
  • I found another remnant of McAfee in the registry and got rid of this error after deleting it, but now it fails with a new error.

    I will make a separate thread for that.

    Friday, September 15, 2017 12:07 AM