none
User Accounts, files, settings GONE after Windows Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Gang, I am at my wits end. A client or mine has Vista Ultimate. She downloaded some Windows Updates. It asked her to restart, she di and EVERYTHING is gone, all files desktop, account settings EVERYTHING!!. Its as if the computer is new out of the box with just the OS installed. She will set up her email, and when she reboots all is lost AGAIN. This is insanity. I have found one other thread here that has dealt with this issue, but no resolutions were found Does ANYONE have a clue as to what the fix is for this? Can she get back to her original settings or is she just screwed and has to start over. I saw in the other thread here that a person reinstaleed Vista only to have the same thing happen again. I am WIDE OPEN to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:30 PM

All replies

• Ok, this happened to me this morning, and I flipped out. Never had a problem with Vista before, so I was a bit worried. So, I hit the web, and after finding a few posts that had never been answered (like this one) I found a blog post that had the steps needed to fix the problem. I personally followed the steps, and they worked beautifully.

Courtesy of Nigel's Blog (Post: http://cherrybyte.blogspot.com/2007/07/fixing-user-profiles-in-vista.html) here is what it says, hope it helps you:

"

I've just had a very scary PC experience. After a busy day at the office I came home with my laptop, opened it up and found that although it was running, the screen wouldn't come on. After leaving it for a few hours my only option was to switch off.

I did this, and restarted the machine (running Vista x86 business) only to find I was not able to login.

I would get an on screen error somewhat like

The user profile service service failed the login. User profile cannot be loaded.

In the application errorlog (eventvwr.msc) there were errors from the user profile saying
    Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network, and that your network is functioning correctly.

DETAIL - Access is denied.

Arrgh. Another reboot no joy... Fortunately I had another id on the machine with admin privilige so I logged on.

After much googling I found out that the critical files are under
    c:\users\MYUSER\ntuser* . Crucially the "ntuser.dat" file is actually a registry hive, so my running "REGEDIT", selecting HKEY_USERS in the nav, then "load hive" from the menu, I could browse my settings. So the file was not corrupt, it was there.

What now? Well I found additional registry entries with REGEDIT under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

There was 1 line for each profile. Crucially if a profile is bad there are 3 things worth checking
    a) Ensure the key name doesn't end in ".bad"
    b) Ensure the RefCount value is 0
    c) Ensure the State value is 0

Having done the above, the profile then worked fine, and I'm now back up and running with all settings intact.

Phew. I certainly learnt something in the process, and hope this helps you too!

- Nigel."
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:51 PM
  • Hello,

I have exactly same problem. Instructions at Nigels blog didnt help me. However in my profile RefCount and State were not 0. I did try to reset them to 0 but it seemed not to help.. and after reboot they were again something else than 0. I can login normally. And I am logging in to a domain. It seems that almost all profile information is lost in any reboot. Not just windowsupdate. This is a fresh install with adobe photoshop cs 3 and office 2007 basic, nothing else.
    Monday, November 19, 2007 12:49 PM