none
Win 7 64 bit fail to install driver for USB storage device

Question

• I have two USB thumb drives, none of them could be correctly installed on my new Win 7 (64bit) system. They work fine on Vista and XP.
    1. Toshiba TransMemory 4GB (TransMemory)
    2. US Airways 256MB drive (Mass Storage Device)
    When I plug it into a USB port, a bubble with the message appears:
    "installing device drive software"
    Then after like 10 seconds,
    "Device driver software was not successfully installed"
    When I navigate to Device Manager, it shows the device with an exclamation sign next to it.

What should I do next? I know there has been numerous threads on USB Problem with x64 Win 7, but they mostly deal with data transmission between the computer and the USB drive. In my case, my device wasn't even properly installed -- i.e. it won't show up in Windows Explorer.
    Can someone help?

This is a brand-new Lenovo Thinkpad T400 system, 4GB memory, Win 7 x64.
    Thank you!
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 4:11 AM

Answers

• Hi John,

Thanks for your suggestion. The problem has disappeared after following some non-traditional solution as suggested on some Chinese website:

We shut down the computer abnormally (e.g. press the power button of laptop) while Windows 7 is running with the Flash Drive plugged in at the USB port. Then when we restart again (still with the Flash Drive on), then voila -- the problem is fixed.

I have no idea why it would work, but somehow it worked on my computer. So I have not got a chance to try out your solution...

Thanks for your suggestion anyway!

Clark
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 4:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please update your BIOS and hardware drivers from the computer manufacture first.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?subcategoryind=0&familyind=422606&brandind=10&doccategoryind=0&modelind=0&doctypeind=9&validate=true&partnumberind=0&sitestyle=lenovo&template=%2Fproductpage%2Flandingpages%2FproductPageLandingPage.vm&operatingsystemind=466746&machineind=0

If the USB devices still fail to work on your laptop, please try the following steps to resolve USB Storage Device problem:

Reinstall USB controllers Using the Keyboard
    ========================================
    First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the Start Menu.
    2. Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
    4. Press "Right" and expand it.
    5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.
    6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

After that, please restart your laptop to test if the two USB devices work, if not, please go on the following steps.

Update the driver in Device Manager
    ===========================
    1. Double click the USB device in the Device Manager, and choose “Update Driver Software”.
    2. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
    3. Click Browse. In the Browse for Folder dialog box, move to the following folder and then click OK:

c:\windows\system32

4. Click Next.

I hope this can help you!

John
    Monday, November 30, 2009 6:24 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.
    I have tried all all the above. Still doesn't seem to work :(

I am wondering if it is a problem with the Mass Storage Device drive instead of the USB drive? The MSD drive is dated in 2006, is it normal?

Please let me know what info I may post to help with the diagnosis~ Thanks!

Clark
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 5:07 PM
  • Hi Clark,

Have tried to install the Chipset driver? if not, please install it refer to the Installation instructions first.

In addition, please help us collect a screenshot for the deatil error message in the Device Manager. please upload the screenshtos to the public folder in the SkyDrive.

Sincerely!

John
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 6:59 AM
  • Hi Clark,

What's up now? If the driver still failed to install, the USB inf files may be corrupted, you can try the following steps to rebuild the USB inf files.  

Step 1. Show hidden folders
    =========================
    1. Click the Start button, Click "Computer" -> "Organize" -> "Folder and Search Options".
    2. Click the "View" tab. Under "Hidden files and folders", click "Show hidden files and folders".
    3. To display other hidden files, uncheck the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box.

Step 2. Rename the USB inf relate files
    =========================
    1. Click the Start Button, type "%windir%\inf" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and press Enter.
    2. Please locate "Infcache.1" file, right click on it, click Properties, select Security tab, click the current User Account name, click Edit, check Full Control checkbox as Allow, then all the checkbox will be checked as Allow, click OK, click OK.
    3. Right click the Infcache.1, select Rename, please type infcache.1-bak in the text box, press Enter. Then Infcache.1 would be renamed to infcache.1-bak.
    4. Please select all the files beginning with "oem", for example: oem0 and oem.PNF.
    5. Press Delete to delete them.
    6. Please restart the computer.

Please plug in a USB flash drive to test the results.

If the issue still persists, you can try the following steps to modify the following Registry.  

Modify the Registry
    =====================
    1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3. Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}  entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} ), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer to test.

John
    Friday, December 04, 2009 2:16 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your suggestion. The problem has disappeared after following some non-traditional solution as suggested on some Chinese website:

We shut down the computer abnormally (e.g. press the power button of laptop) while Windows 7 is running with the Flash Drive plugged in at the USB port. Then when we restart again (still with the Flash Drive on), then voila -- the problem is fixed.

I have no idea why it would work, but somehow it worked on my computer. So I have not got a chance to try out your solution...

Thanks for your suggestion anyway!

Clark
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 4:36 AM
  • I just have the problem but on win 7 32bit and since I know this is not a "bit"-based error, this solution can apply to all version of windows and all kind of driver on the computer. Thanks.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 2:46 PM
  • This solution seems not working with me. I see in the details dialog it is the registry fault. I have used usb firmware tool to turn my usb in to cdrom and it have installed Lower filters in the registry. That why it corrupt the usb driver.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 2:49 PM
  • You are right, if the Registry entry is modified, the USB device would fail to work.
    John
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 1:59 AM