none
Windows Easy Transfer XP to XP via CD

Question

• I know that this is primarily a Vista forum, but I originally created a CD backup using Windows Easy Transfer to be loaded on a Vista machine.

However the Vista machine is no longer an option and I need to restore to another XP machine.  I'm wondering if this is possible.

The reason that I'm concerned is that a lot of files "went missing" after creating the backup using Windows Easy Transfer.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:40 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

No, we cannot transfer files from Windows Vista to Windows XP using Windows Easy Transfer. We can only use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files from a Windows-based system to a Windows Vista-based system.

If you would like to regain the data from the SaveData.mig file now, you need to restore it to a Windows Vista system.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, August 01, 2008 3:12 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

No, we cannot transfer files from Windows Vista to Windows XP using Windows Easy Transfer. We can only use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files from a Windows-based system to a Windows Vista-based system.

If you would like to regain the data from the SaveData.mig file now, you need to restore it to a Windows Vista system.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, August 01, 2008 3:12 AM
  • That is pretty dumb that you guys didnt make it backwards compatible. Why make a transfer service that cant transfer from one windows xp machine to another xp machine?

Monday, October 12, 2009 2:53 AM
  • Why in this day and age is it so technically difficult to connect two PCs with a wire and transfer data between them. (I know it can be done with a crossover cable and adjusting TCPIP settings, but that is time-costly)

I can plug a USB memory stick into any PC, copy files, and then plug it into any other PC and copy the files down.

Why then is it not possible to accomplish this process with a simple cable connection between the two, without extra software and/or drivers and/or easy transfer wizards and/or Windows OS versions coming into play?

BTW, I have several Sharp Pocket Computers from the mid-80s, and can easily transfer data between them using a data cable.

I'm not blaming Microsoft per-se, just saying that modern PCs in general lack this seemingly simple feature, or make it too hard to make work???

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 10:57 PM
  • @Tim, you didn't answer the question. the question was to transfer settings from XP to XP. Not from Vista to XP. And that makes a lot of difference, transferring from Vista to XP would mean downgrade / convert settings, but that is not needed in the case of XP to XP. Ben
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 11:28 PM