none
change the time of an existing "backup using file history" RRS feed

• Question

• I have an existing "backup using file history" created at 8 AM.

It worked fine from the task creation (selection of source path). From the predefined schedule, I selected Daily.

As we know there is now any way in GUI to change the time that in my understanding should exist.

What the app does - it probably assigns the time of task creation.

In my situation there is 10GB of data daily. Of course it make sense to copy this new data at night time and not at 8 am when user starts his work day.

THE QUESTION:

can somebody point to the registry key. May be there is actually scheduled task created for the backup, so I can change the time there.

Worst case... I have to recreate the task at 8PM instead of 8AM in order that it will run at night time. But it is a big inconvenience in my situation. 

Strange that nice program doesn't have an option in GUI to assign the time.

Any suggestion? 

Thanks.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Tuesday, November 19, 2019 12:10 PM
    Sunday, November 17, 2019 2:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Exactly as you said, we could not make a scheduled task to backup using file history.

We can configure how often File History backs up, how long it keeps those backup copies, and which files it backs up.

For file history, it is controlled by Settings or Control Panel. We could use Registry to enable/disable File history, but doesn't have active hour function.

This should really be a design regret. But I consider that if you could select back up your files every 12 hours.

Also Windows 10 includes another backup tool that is Backup and Restore (Windows 7). It has this function. Like this below:

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, November 22, 2019 2:30 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Exactly as you said, we could not make a scheduled task to backup using file history.

We can configure how often File History backs up, how long it keeps those backup copies, and which files it backs up.

For file history, it is controlled by Settings or Control Panel. We could use Registry to enable/disable File history, but doesn't have active hour function.

This should really be a design regret. But I consider that if you could select back up your files every 12 hours.

Also Windows 10 includes another backup tool that is Backup and Restore (Windows 7). It has this function. Like this below:

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, November 22, 2019 2:30 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 9:36 AM
  • Carl,

thanks for your confirmation of functionality...

My first backup using File History was made Saturday at 8 AM. So I clearly saw the date and time of last backup in GUI.

Sunday the department didn't work. But Monday yes. And during the day it was 16GB of data.

When checked Tu night Monday backup was not performed. And the date of last backup in GUI was not changed.

By the logic with limited options the backup of Monday's data supposed to be performed by Tu 8:00 AM.

The time of initial backup.

So yesterday (Tu) I pressed backup now at 9:00 PM. Will check if it will do backup automatically at 9 PM today (Wed).

I think that your idea about every 12 hours is smart for workaround. But first I want to see if it will do it automatically today at 9 PM.

There is no OK button for any changed settings, so really poorly controlled app with all it pluses.

Looked at event viewer, no much info. It would be nice to see when started, when finished, quantity of data backed up.

Will update the status and appreciate if you can further assist in case it needed.

Thanks again.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 1:40 PM