none
HELP! Cannot login to computer (User profile error) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi my computer froze the other day while i was playing a game on it, because i had installed some mods on it which where buggy and had a lot of glitches. Anyways, my computer screen basically froze, i tried everything, ALT + F4, Windows button, windows button + D etc. Nothing worked and i couldn't fysically do anything with my keyboard or anything since everything was just frozen, so i had to turn my computer off whiles running a ton of softwares and a game, even though it's been said to never use the power button to turn off the computer i just decided to hold in the power button till it turns off. I turned it back on and got a disc error which automatically lead to my PC repairing it itself, it took over an hour, and once it was done the windows startup loading screen (first time when you use a WIn-8 PC) started loading in like i had never used this PC before..

It loaded up and my Win-8 home screen and it had no apps or nothing at all apart from my username in the corner of the screen( i'll add a image of this). I managed to use my keyboard to get to the desktop but then it got worse, the only thing is the recycle bin on my desktop, nothing else. I can access my files trought the recycle bin for some reason but no softwares will run at all.

Anyways so here's the main problem apart from the story, sometimes if i al lucky i can login to my computer, but that is very rare and it's just luck cause i don't really do anything else then just retry it over and over again. I have two accounts, an admin account and a guest once, i cannot access any one atm cause i get and error saying:

Failed login for User Profile Service. Userprofile cannot be loaded in.

(not able to add images because you guys don't trust me and i need verification, never mind about that)

• Edited by Marrakasj Sunday, July 6, 2014 9:42 AM
    Sunday, July 6, 2014 9:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The reason that leads to this error might be :

1. The user profile is manually deleted
    2. The user profile folder is renamed improperly
    3. Corrupted user profile
    4. The loading process might be affected by 3<sup>rd</sup>-party software.

Resolution:

1. Log in with another not affected Admin account, or activate the built-in admin account in safe mode then restart and login.
    2. Press Windows key + R to open run and then type Regedit, then click OK.
    3. If UAC prompted, click YES.
    4. In Registry Editor, navigate to the below location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    5. In the left pane under ProfileList, click on an SID key, in the right pane, look for the ProfileImagePath to see if it is for the same user account name that has the error.
    6. If the ProfileImagePath value is not the same with the name in file explorer under C:\Users, rename it back.
    7. If you only have one long number with a .bak, simply click rename and just remove the .bak at the end.
    8. If you have two long numbers for the bad user account, and one with a .bak, rename the one without .bak with .bk at the end, then rename the .bak with only remove the .bak.
    9. After the above action, click on the SID key, on the right pane, select RefCount, then modify it to Hex value 0.
    10. Modify the State value with Hex 0.
    11. Restart.

Here is the reference:

How to fix “User Profile Service failed the sign-in. User Profile canot be loaded” in Windows 8/8.1

Please note: since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 7, 2014 10:09 AM

All replies

• Did you try safe mode ? Does it works ?

Did you make any changes on the OS after which this started happening?

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, July 6, 2014 10:16 AM
  • Hi,

The reason that leads to this error might be :

1. The user profile is manually deleted
    2. The user profile folder is renamed improperly
    3. Corrupted user profile
    4. The loading process might be affected by 3<sup>rd</sup>-party software.

Resolution:

1. Log in with another not affected Admin account, or activate the built-in admin account in safe mode then restart and login.
    2. Press Windows key + R to open run and then type Regedit, then click OK.
    3. If UAC prompted, click YES.
    4. In Registry Editor, navigate to the below location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    5. In the left pane under ProfileList, click on an SID key, in the right pane, look for the ProfileImagePath to see if it is for the same user account name that has the error.
    6. If the ProfileImagePath value is not the same with the name in file explorer under C:\Users, rename it back.
    7. If you only have one long number with a .bak, simply click rename and just remove the .bak at the end.
    8. If you have two long numbers for the bad user account, and one with a .bak, rename the one without .bak with .bk at the end, then rename the .bak with only remove the .bak.
    9. After the above action, click on the SID key, on the right pane, select RefCount, then modify it to Hex value 0.
    10. Modify the State value with Hex 0.
    11. Restart.

Here is the reference:

How to fix “User Profile Service failed the sign-in. User Profile canot be loaded” in Windows 8/8.1

Please note: since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 7, 2014 10:09 AM