none
Windows 7 Update error 800F0203

Question

• Dear Sir,

I am using Windows 7 Home Basic (32 Bit) and I am getting update error 800F0203. I tried solution given by Tim Quan at here.

1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save the installation patch onto the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#AffinityDownloads

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.

3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.

Note: If the UAC (User Account Control) window is prompted for permission to continue, please click Continue.

4. Click Start, in the Start Search bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the open Notepad window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo =========================

@Echo Finished.

@Echo =========================

@pause

and

I also read the following solution and tried :( but could not solve my prob

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

actually I think this problem is started because I changed my windows username. I also created a new a/c as well as activated inbuilt administrator a/c, There was no items in start menu.

Please help......

Monday, September 05, 2011 5:12 AM

Answers

• Hi all,

In case it is due to conflcit with third party software, I suggest we prepare clean boot to troubleshoot the issue:

Http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:52 AM

All replies

• Try logging in as the built-in administrator and running the updates.
    If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration toolkit
    Monday, September 05, 2011 5:28 AM
  • When I log in using built in administrator a/c, I am not able to see programs in start menu, why it is happening ? Is there any tool or method (except abovesaid) to reset Local Policies/Permissions to default ?
    Monday, September 05, 2011 10:46 AM
  • I tried but got same error (i.e 800F0203) .... 
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 9:34 AM
  • Hi,

I would suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1:

First check windows update history to find the error code for the failed updates. Right click on the failed update and click on view.
    Check for the updates that failed in Update history.

a. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.
    b. In the left pane, click View update history.
    c. To view more information about an update, double-click it.

Method 2:
    I would suggest you to resetWindows Update components and check if it helps. To do so run theFixitform the link provided below.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Method 3:
    If the issue still persists I would suggest you to run theSystem Update Readiness Tool. Follow the troubleshooting steps provided in KB article below and check if it helps.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

If it does not work, please try:

1. Enable the Administrator account (presuming of course that you are not already using this, and that the account you are using has admin privileges)
    2. Log off current user, log on as Administrator
    3. Run Windows Update

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, September 08, 2011 8:35 AM
  • I tried all the methods but could not solve my problem, actually thing is that only Optional updates (Realtek Ethernet ) are getting failed. Important are getting installed.

I Also tried to install my audio driver from mother board cd, INSTALLATION got FAILED.

Friday, September 09, 2011 8:31 AM
  • I've tried all the above as well. And nothing seems to work.

I keep getting "CODE 800F0203"

I've tried everything. I even tried installing another video card and it give me the same error. So

I know it's not the hardware. I'm running inn "generic video" right now. "Installation failed"

If anyone can help it would be appreciated. 

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:56 AM
  • Hi all,

In case it is due to conflcit with third party software, I suggest we prepare clean boot to troubleshoot the issue:

Http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Regards,

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:52 AM
  • ........ actually thing is that only Optional updates (Realtek Ethernet ) are getting failed.

I Also tried to install my audio driver from mother board cd, INSTALLATION got FAILED.

I realize this thread is a little old but I cant help putting my two cents in.

FYI

Do not install any drivər updatəs offərəd by Windows Updatə. Get thəm from thə manufacturər's wəbsitə instəad.

Do *not* get hardware updates from the Windows/Microsoft updates web page unless your hardware happens to be Microsoft manufacturered... Always get the hardware drivers (when /you/ need them) from the actual manufactureя of said product.

`~`

Monday, April 01, 2013 7:08 PM