none
Error 1053 Spooler Services will not start

Question

• I recently built a new system. Since the build I've had nothing but problems with my Print Spooler Service. The service will work fine and everything is OK. During an automatic update, upon restart the service will not be started. Trying to manually start the service will spit "error 1053 the service failed to respond within the specified time". I've done system restores and things will work fine for a couple of days then same problem. I've done repair install with same results. I've done three fresh installs with no printers even installed and things work for a few days, then bang; spooler service is not running. I have no software aside from a couple of games installed at this time and no printers. Just been using the computer to browse the Web looking for solutions. When I start the computer I just go to "devices and printers" and look to see if the two default Microsoft XPS Document Writer and Fax are there and they are not. Click add printer and it spits the 1053 error. When the service fails, it never comes back until I do some type of restore, re-install, repair install etc. Then the service will work for a few days, then quit never to return.

The only clues I have are that the Event Viewer shows that there has been a timeout error where 2 services have failed to respond within the allotted time (30 seconds) the two services are; Interactive Detection Services Service and Print Spooler Service. This is not a printer issue as I haven't had a printer powered on, plugged in or installed for over 2 weeks and 2 clean installs.

Hope someone can please help, this is driving me to drink!   

My System
    -----------------
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series Motherboard
    Intel Core i5-3570K Processor 3.40 Ghz
    Kingston HyperX 8GB Desktop Memory Kit - DDR3, (2 x 4GB), PC3-12800, 1600MHz, CL9, Intel XMP Ready
    Western Digital WD3200AAJS Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 320GB, 3.5", 7200RPM, 8MB, SATA-3
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Free Performance Boost Video Card
    Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid-Tower Case
    1 200mm Front Intake, 1 200mm Side Intake, 1 200mm Top Exhaust, 1 120mm Rear Exhaust Fans
    Thermaltake TR2 600W Power Supply
    Windows 7 (64bit) Home Premium
    Monday, January 28, 2013 8:17 PM

Answers

• Mike

See if this suggestion makes any difference.

1. Click Start, type “services.msc” and hit Enter.
    2. Scroll down to Print spooler.
    3. Right-click Print spooler, then select Properties.
    4. Select the Log On tab, and uncheck the Allow service to interact with desktop setting.

(Microsoft recommends that you do not change the Allow service to interact with desktop setting. If you allow the service to interact with the desktop, any information that the service displays on the desktop will also be displayed on an interactive user's desktop. A malicious user could then take control of the service or attack it from the interactive desktop).

5. Once you have uncheck this setting, select the General tab and click "Start" (the Print Spooler should be able to start without popping up the Error 1053 again).
    Source Gwen 2012
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/profile/fb3e08a2-3038-4a44-b173-a4122e98c9b3

Hope this helps, Gerry

Monday, January 28, 2013 10:53 PM

All replies

• Mike

See if this suggestion makes any difference.

1. Click Start, type “services.msc” and hit Enter.
    2. Scroll down to Print spooler.
    3. Right-click Print spooler, then select Properties.
    4. Select the Log On tab, and uncheck the Allow service to interact with desktop setting.

(Microsoft recommends that you do not change the Allow service to interact with desktop setting. If you allow the service to interact with the desktop, any information that the service displays on the desktop will also be displayed on an interactive user's desktop. A malicious user could then take control of the service or attack it from the interactive desktop).

5. Once you have uncheck this setting, select the General tab and click "Start" (the Print Spooler should be able to start without popping up the Error 1053 again).
    Source Gwen 2012
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/profile/fb3e08a2-3038-4a44-b173-a4122e98c9b3

Hope this helps, Gerry

Monday, January 28, 2013 10:53 PM
  • Wow! That was almost too easy. Did as you suggested and service started and works fine. 2 subsequent reboots and the spooler is still started and working. At this point, I'm not real confident the solution will last, but, this is the only time I have been able to start the service without some type of restore.

Thanks so much for the prompt response and possible cure!

Monday, January 28, 2013 11:39 PM
  • You're welcome Mike.

Please don't forget to Propose as Answer when you feel confident it is.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:00 AM
  • Gerry

I can confirm that after 10 days, my problem has never returned. Simply unchecking that checkbox and I was able to start the spooler immediately. Since then it has never failed. I continue to allow automatic updates and have installed a printer with no issues what so ever. Thanks again for the help. I was going to mark your reply as the answer, but, I see that it is already marked as such by the moderator on Feb 5th., regardless, I can confirm that it worked for me.

On a side note; I have three other Windows 7 (x64) compters that all have that same box checked. They all can connect to my home network and never experience a problem. Any idea why one has to have this interaction turned off, but, the other three don't? Interesting........

Mike Ross

Friday, February 8, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Mike

I am glad your problem is resolved.

Networking is a complicated subject and not one I fully understand. I have networked printers in my own home / office set up. The network comprised 4 computers and a number of printers. Despite making every effort I could not get one printer attached to one computer to work over the network. I had to give up.

Print spooler problems became common with the introduction of Windows 7. In the last 6 months Microsoft have released several updates in this area. One of these updates has caused severe installation problems but it is evidence that Microsoft have belatedly been trying to address bugs that have caused many users problems.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Friday, February 8, 2013 3:30 PM
  • Wow!  That works.  Thank You.  1. Print spooler 2. Properties 3. Log On tab uncheck allow service to interact with desktop spooler 4. then re-start the print spooler.

Thank You....

Larry B

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:24 PM
  • Gerry

Thanks for this. It worked perfectly in a W7 Pro SP1 domain-linked machine.

Ric Q.

• Proposed as answer by ERQuinones Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ERQuinones Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:08 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:08 PM
  • THANK YOU!!! Such an easy fix, shouldn't be this difficult to find a solution. I am not a novice, but I have been trying to fix this for a month! If I could give you more votes for being helpful, I'd fall asleep hitting enter. Bless you.
    Friday, March 29, 2013 10:48 PM
  • Excellent!!!  Solved my problem, Thanks Gerry!!  Also Mike, thanks for the follow up and feedback.

Just an FYI, I have a GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H with the 3770 (no "K") running Windows 7.  I wonder if this issue is with Gigabyte drivers/HW?!?!?

The reason is simple .. I ported the image to a Dell Latitude E6500 using MiniTool and the Print Spooler never has an issue (plugged HDD into Gigabyte, copied Gigabyte HDD to 2nd HDD, moved 2nd HDD to Dell, all drivers installed automatically.

Thanks again guys, Jim

Friday, August 9, 2013 3:19 AM
  • Nope didn't work. Tried twice still coming back Error 1053. Any other suggestions?
    Monday, February 10, 2014 2:03 AM