Error Code: 0x80070002

Question

• At the very end of running the installer for SP1, I get this error along with a link that leads me nowhere. I'm running Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

I've tried clearing my Windows Update history, chkdsk, and sfc /scannow. I have the error log for SP1 but I do not know how to read what the problem is. Also, when I ran sfc /scannow, it said that I had some corrupted files that were not able to be fixed. If someone could read that problem as well, as I think it's linked to the SP1 problem, thanks.
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 12:37 AM

Answers

• This error typically indicates missing or corrupt components, files or settings in the RTM version of Vista, so that is what is blocking SP1 from installing because it can't successfuly update the system.

There is a tool that can fix this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821 

In many cases, after SP1 install hits this error, it sets a bit so that Windows Update will offer the tool to fix the problem automatically.  In other cases it may need to be run manually.  The tool is updated as we learn about additional cases to fix.

If this doesn't work the method described by Meetloaf will also work in many cases.  (You don't need to uncheck the installed components - just run the repair install).  It works because it reinstalls all the components, fixing any missing or corrupt components.  But it's only helpful if you have access to an original Vista install DVD.

Monday, April 21, 2008 12:56 AM

All replies

• I've got the same prob, (except i have no corrupted files) at the end at the Windows Vista SP1 update I get:
    Error code: 0x80070002.  See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=101139 for details.

Tried everything they suggest with no success Sad
    Even tried reactivate Security Center, I still get promted  with the same error msg.
    Been googeling, and alot of ppl seems to have the same problem.

Any developers that could track down what's really happening?
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:24 AM
  • I basically have the same issue (except Premium instead of Ultimate). And since I had Vista pre-installed on the computer there is no way to reinstall vista for a clean install. Any help would be appreciated!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:26 AM
  • Yeah, I've been Googleing and looking for answers ever since I got SP1, still no avail.

Anyhow, if someone could just explain the problem in our setupapi.dev logs, I think we could atleast find the problem. We all get to play the waiting game, I guess. D:
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:33 AM
  • Found a comment at windowsvistablog.com that i havent tried.
    Going to test it out now...

The solution to installation error 0x80070059 it to copy the file winusb.inf from c:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\winusb.inf_0362a280\winusb.inf to c:\Windows\inf.

http://www.theexperienceblog.com/2007/11/18/vista-sp1-rc-installation-error-0x80070059-solution/

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:37 AM
  •  sonej wrote:
    Found a comment at windowsvistablog.com that i havent tried.
    Going to test it out now...

The solution to installation error 0x80070059 it to copy the file winusb.inf from c:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\winusb.inf_0362a280\winusb.inf to c:\Windows\inf.

http://www.theexperienceblog.com/2007/11/18/vista-sp1-rc-installation-error-0x80070059-solution/

That's a different error code though. Report back though. =P
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:42 AM
  • My bad, been googeling that damn error code all day, my head is a mess...
    I tried copying all the .inf files from \FileReposeitory\* to C:\windows\inf and skipped the files I allready had there..
    ....with no success... So dont try that..
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 2:44 AM
  • Bill, try your CBig Smilerive.  There should be a seperate partition, that holds Vista.  As for the rest of your problem, hopefully a tech. can figure it out.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 2:54 AM
  • Same Problem:
    Oddly enough I have installed SP1 on this machine before, just on different installations. The current installation is the cleanest by fer.I have installed SP1 during the beta stage and then after a clean install I had the RTM loaded on this machine.

Now, after another clean install a month ago, I am unable to install SP1, I've tried both Windows Update and the standalone, both give me the same exact error.

Joyous Error 80070002!

I have tried every suggestion at this link here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366

I have elevated my permissions to my Windows folder and attempted to
    repair the contents of my C:\Windows\winsxs\Backup folder per another
    forum and still no go.

I have the latest drivers running, I'm pretty sure it is not this, b/c SP1 isn't supposed to show up in Windows Update if you have a driver conflict, and it does show up.

I'm clueless, any ideas?
    - 4 GB RAM 667 MHz
    - 160GB HD 7200RPM
    - Intel 4965 AGN
    - nVidia 8600M GT 256MB DDR2
    - 15" LGA WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050)

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:51 AM
  • Anoyone that solved this yet?
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:32 PM
  • Seems not. I got the exact same issue here.

Download fail @ 20% with windows update.

Installation fail with the big 435 mB file, with the fantastic error 80070002.

Vista Ultimate 32 bits. All updates installed without any issue through windows update (expected for SP1 obviously )
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:03 PM
  • I have the same problem with Vista Business 32 bits for the archive, and I cannot see the sp on Windows Update. I haven't installed beta versions of sp, no antivirus and I haven't hacked my registry Wink
    All updates installed without any issue through windows update (expected for SP1 obviously ) bis...
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:40 PM
  • Okey, status update...
    I'v havent found any solution yet... Sad

Maby this could work for somone, lemme know..
    http://vistarewired.com/2008/03/19/what-to-do-if-you-cannot-get-windows-vista-service-pack-1/#six
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:44 PM
  •  Cmdt_Global wrote:
    Seems not. I got the exact same issue here.
    Download fail @ 20% with windows update.
    Installation fail with the big 435 mB file, with the fantastic error 80070002.
    Vista Ultimate 32 bits. All updates installed without any issue through windows update (expected for SP1 obviously )

same procedure here... I tried another tool too, to get the file from the update service.
    I tried all ideas from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366 except the check of the harddisk (I'm using a SATA RAID1)

I have all necessary updates. "Not-must-haves" I installed only sometimes. I have installed C#/SQL Express.. for that I had to install a special patch on my Ultimate

but when reading the threads... that update won't be the problem......

microsoft.. WHAT is the problem? :-(
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:39 PM
  • This is starting to piss me off...
    I cannot install this update with windows update nore the standalone installer...
    I tried every patch and hotfixes there is, even updating my Windows Update Agent without any results...

I even tried enableing these services again, without any results
    * Windows Defender
    * Security Center
    * User Account

I'm out of idés now.... I really want to see a tech supporter look at this, or at least say that they are working on
    a fix. Anything...
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:13 PM
  •  sonej wrote:
    This is starting to piss me off...
    I cannot install this update with windows update nore the standalone installer...
    I tried every patch and hotfixes there is, even updating my Windows Update Agent without any results...

I even tried enableing these services again, without any results
    * Windows Defender
    * Security Center
    * User Account

I'm out of idés now.... I really want to see a tech supporter look at this, or at least say that they are working on
    a fix. Anything...

I reawlly want to see some progress on this issue as well...but we may never get a fix. D:
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:56 PM
  • Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:14 PM
  •  oj wrote:

Have you tried:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/en-us

I use x86.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:28 PM
  • There is a link to download CheckSUR x86 on that page.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:39 PM
  • No go on the CheckSUR thing, it ran didn't find any errors, and then I tried the install and nuffin'.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Friday, March 21, 2008 3:09 AM
  • Hello.

0x80070002 error code is for missing file. This may could occur if we had use vLite to (or manually) uninstall some Vista functionnalities.

I can't remember if my version is the full Business or the vLite Business version I've built to test vLite...
    But, I'm trying to rollback to a full installation without reinstalling Vista and losing program preferences... I'll tell if I can update then.
    Friday, March 21, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Yepp, I've tried CheckSUR.. And nothing...
    And i did not use vLite to make my Vista cd...

I used the one i got from Fujitsu Siemens. Mabye they left out some vital components.
    I've tried to install some new drivers that was located on Windows Update too.. And that did not help at all..

Gonna spend a couple of hours googeling this today... Nothing i really wanna do..
    Friday, March 21, 2008 11:25 AM
  •  Meetloaf wrote:
    No go on the CheckSUR thing, it ran didn't find any errors, and then I tried the install and nuffin'.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

ok.. tried to download CheckSUR... I get one, on a german page.. but the tool tells me only: this tool is not for your Vista :-/
    Friday, March 21, 2008 11:36 AM
  • I think it is best to wait for a fix from Microsoft at this time.

And be happy not to have your system crushed with blue screen and infinite loop reboots after installing Vista SP1 .

I prefer having error 80070002 than having to reinstall everything ...
    Friday, March 21, 2008 4:14 PM
  • Vista Business, same problem Sad
    Friday, March 21, 2008 5:43 PM
  • Hi there.

I'm glad to join you people.

I have Vista Ultimate and the exact problem.

I've tried everything, scandisk, sfc.exe, memory test, safe mode, disabling unnecesary services, etc.

Nothing seems to work.

I've did some googling and people around the world seem to have the same problem.

Though I've installed the SP1 standalone on my laptop smoothy and without problems, I can´t make it on my desk AMD PC.  

Hope getting some answers.

Nice to meet you gays!

Friday, March 21, 2008 6:57 PM
  • FIXED:

OK everyone, this takes several hours, but I'm up and running in SP1.  Supposedly I had a/or some corrupt files/components somewhere.  Here is the method that worked for me:

Turn off Windows features
    ================

1. Click the Start Button, click Control Panel.

2. Click Classic View on the left pane, and double click Program and Features.

3. Click "Turn Windows features on or off" on the left pane.

4. In the Windows Features dialog box, uncheck all of the check boxes, and then click OK.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Now, let's perform the following steps to repair the corrupted files:

NOTE: In-Place upgrade will not remove any installed programs or files on the computer. It just repairs the system. However, it will remove all of the installed updates, we need to run Windows Update to reinstall them after repairing. In addition, I suggest backing up useful files to avoid data lose...you never know what will happen.

In-Place upgrade (Repair install)
    ==============

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click the Start Button, type Drive:\setup.exe in the start search box and then click OK.

Note: Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista. Please make sure the edition of Windows Vista is selected correctly.

If the above steps finish, please try to install SP1 again.

NOTE:  At this point I got some wierd error in Windows Update, I googled it and found it to be a timeout error, I disabled the windows firewall and tried again and all went well.

Good LUCK!
    Friday, March 21, 2008 7:22 PM
  • hi meetloaf

thx for that information.. but am I crazy? I deinstall tools like NET, IIS,... and perform a repair installation? Sorry -  MS.. this is not what you can want to do normal users. I studied information technics, but THAT I won't do (although it wouldn't be a problem to me)... before I try to make a repair installation on a corrupted system (because of de/installing MS-own tools !), I will format the system and begin a new clean installation.
    It worked in one case... but it has not to work everywhere.
    I read a lot of corrupted systems after installing the SP1 (loosing sound, slows down, loosing screen adjustments,...) . SP1 is a risk to everything.. installed or not installed o.o. If I think about the usb-problems because of usb sticks,....
    MS.. find a solution without repair installations or new installations.
    Friday, March 21, 2008 11:14 PM
  •  Meetloaf wrote:
    FIXED:

OK everyone, this takes several hours, but I'm up and running in SP1.  Supposedly I had a/or some corrupt files/components somewhere.  Here is the method that worked for me:

================

4. In the Windows Features dialog box, uncheck all of the check boxes, and then click OK.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

NOTE: In-Place upgrade will not remove any installed programs or files on the computer. It just repairs the system. However, it will remove all of the installed updates, we need to run Windows Update to reinstall them after repairing. In addition, I suggest backing up useful files to avoid data lose...you never know what will happen.

==============

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

a. Click the Start Button, type Drive:\setup.exe in the start search box and then click OK.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista. Please make sure the edition of Windows Vista is selected correctly.

NOTE:  At this point I got some wierd error in Windows Update, I googled it and found it to be a timeout error, I disabled the windows firewall and tried again and all went well.

Good LUCK!

I may have to follow your advice .After disk check,sfc/scannow,checkSur,memory test,and deleting files (as per error help from widows update help),turning off all other programs.tryed installing in  Safe Mode,UAC on,UAC off and anything else that is docmented as maybe working !.I find it amazing how only Vista Sp1 can find these "bad or corrupt files".On a computer  that works just fine .Must be one hell of a service pack.

Friday, March 21, 2008 11:25 PM
  • So far it is working better, but not all the way. I still get the same error code, but it does it at a much later stage. I can not do not the upgrade though since I have an OEM version of the software. Any other hints?

Friday, March 21, 2008 11:57 PM
  • Hello – I am a part of the Windows Vista SP1 Development team at Microsoft. We’re sorry you are not having a good experience with Windows Vista SP1. We would like make you aware that Windows Vista customers are entitled to no-fee support for issues that relate to the SP1 update from Microsoft Help & Support.  Microsoft Help & Support provides you with email, chat, or telephone support where you can talk to a Microsoft Support Agent to assist in troubleshooting your installation issue.  Please click on this link and open up a case with our product support services teams: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921 .

Thank you for taking the time and we look forward to hearing from you.  

Saturday, March 22, 2008 3:42 PM
  • Hello – I am a part of the Windows Vista SP1 Development team at Microsoft. We’re sorry you are not having a good experience with Windows Vista SP1. We would like make you aware that Windows Vista customers are entitled to no-fee support for issues that relate to the SP1 update from Microsoft Help & Support.   Microsoft Help & Support provides you with email, chat, or telephone support where you can talk to a Microsoft Support Agent to assist in troubleshooting your installation issue.  Please click on this link and open up a case with our product support services teams: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921 . Thank you for taking the time and we look forward to hearing from you.  

Saturday, March 22, 2008 3:45 PM
  • Hello – I am a part of the Windows Vista SP1 Development team at Microsoft. We’re sorry you are not having a good experience with Windows Vista SP1. We would like make you aware that Windows Vista customers are entitled to no-fee support for issues that relate to the SP1 update from Microsoft Help & Support. Microsoft Help & Support provides you with email, chat, or telephone support where you can talk to a Microsoft Support Agent to assist in troubleshooting your installation issue. Please click on this link and open up a case with our product support services teams: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921 . Thank you for taking the time and we look forward to hearing from you.
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 3:53 PM
  • this is just out right outrageous... I'm having the same problem, a long with thousands of other Vista users. You have a microsoft agent telling us to call for tech support? Are you kidding me? Okay so lets wait 45min on hold, have someone who has no idea what they are doing try and help us to a solution that doesn't exist b/c microsoft refuses to get their act together to help people.

When is microsoft going to address this issue? There are a ton of posts about this error or other similar errors. I'm ready to give up!

Saturday, March 22, 2008 6:42 PM
  •  tnt2sniper wrote:

this is just out right outrageous... I'm having the same problem, a long with thousands of other Vista users. You have a microsoft agent telling us to call for tech support? Are you kidding me? Okay so lets wait 45min on hold, have someone who has no idea what they are doing try and help us to a solution that doesn't exist b/c microsoft refuses to get their act together to help people.

When is microsoft going to address this issue? There are a ton of posts about this error or other similar errors. I'm ready to give up!

Couldn't agree more.

It's shameless!

Saturday, March 22, 2008 8:02 PM
  • I hope this information helps,

I am using Vista Business, I tried sfc/ scannow, checked my disk drive and memory, disabled all antivirus and third party software that are loaded on startup and tried the installation but everytime with the same Error Code: 0x80070002

I found in a certain point during the installation process of SP1 the following errors recorded in event viewer system log:

Error:  Source: Servicing    EventID: 4385

Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of changing update 936330-2_neutral_GDR from package KB936330(Service Pack) into Staging(Staging) state

Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of changing update 936330-3_neutral_GDR from package KB936330(Service Pack) into Staging(Staging) state

Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of changing update 936330-4_neutral_GDR from package KB936330(Service Pack) into Staging(Staging) state

Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of changing update 936330-5_neutral_GDR from package KB936330(Service Pack) into Staging(Staging) state

So on for the remaining hundred or more packages included in the SP1 update package, until the installation fails with: An internal error occurred while installing the service pack Error Code: 0x80070002

P.S: My system is up to date "Drivers, Windows updates" and I've tried both Windows Update and standalone with no success.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:54 PM
  • Hi all,

Jus try the following steps.

1) run sfc /scannow in cmd with elivated mode

2) Run memory diagnostic tool from WinRE

3) If nothing works run a custom installation of windows from desktop will surely fix the issue.

Monday, March 24, 2008 2:00 PM
  • I wonder how many who upgraded to SP1 and have this problem without knowing it.  MS blew it again.
    Time to pay Billy more money so that he can screw us over and over.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:05 AM
  •  solo1979 wrote:

Hi all,

Jus try the following steps.

1) run sfc /scannow in cmd with elivated mode

2) Run memory diagnostic tool from WinRE

3) If nothing works run a custom installation of windows from desktop will surely fix the issue.

doesn't work except possibly 3.. which takes hours.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:11 AM
  • This is very scary! We have not implemented Vista in any of our businesses or clients and have been waiting on SP1 to be released - hoping it would create a more stable and problem free platform to port from XP to.

However - this problem, which we've experienced in our testing environment is causing us to rethink again. Is vista going to be the next "Windows ME" - where nothing goes right and they need to release the 'next' OS before we have a stable platform? Because, at this stage, that's the way it's looking from our businesses point of view.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:58 AM
  • Hi,

I'm from Spain.

Here the same problem. Windows Vista Home x86. In the office, one computer with Ultimate works perfectly (SP1). I don´t understand anything. Vista is a great OS, but these bugs are inexcusable. I hope that fix all problems, and Windows ME was forgotten.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 2:11 PM
  • add me to the list of users with this error. virtually new vista laptop and it bombs at the very last moment. i've just been on with a MS agent for 1.5 hours of my evening with this free support and figured out why it's free - it's useless (delete temp files, delete prefetch files, uninstall antivirus, redownload sp1). i'm really cross i have to waste my own time with this. i am *so* close to installing xp, i've really had it with vista and this sp in particular.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:07 PM
  •  Meetloaf wrote:
    FIXED:

================

==============

b. Click Install now.

Good LUCK!

I'm pretty sure if you follow these steps you'll be in good shape.  This error is occurring because you have some corrupt windows components.  So, the error isn't SP1's fault. 

Your alternatives are to spend an unidentifiable amount of time trying to find which files/components are damaged, and then figuring out how to fix them (which may consist of waiting for days for answers from someone who knows)

OR

You could just try to reinstall, which yes, in and of itself does take a couple hours, plus installing the updates, it can be a drag, BUT, that doesn't mean you have to sit in front of your monitor with drool pursing from your lips the whole time...got shoot the basketball around, or install right before bed, and then let the updates download and install while you sleep.

Just a suggestion.  I just think it's silly how many people are on the "VISTA SUCKS, XP RULES" bandwagon...especially since pre-VISTA the same people were on the XP SUCKS bandwagon.  XP is great, but the sooner people jump in to Vista, the sooner all of these "problems" will be panned out, because you will force suppliers to get things working correctly, or else they won't be able to compete.

Stick with it, get Vista going, I think you will find it really is superior to XP in general.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:25 PM
  • I have same problem on acer 5420.  all other updates work well.  none of the solutions help from the error message helper and acer says it is a microsoft problem.  they gave me a number to call at microsoft 866-234-6020 but am leary because I am new at this and don't get all the computer jargon.  let me know if this helps anyone.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:49 AM
  • I have this problem as well. I am considering doing this reinstall upgrade thing, but my Vista was preinstalled. Can I still do this? I have recovery disks created by the HP program on my computer.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 2:29 PM
  • Thanks meetloaf, this fixed my problem along with a networking issue.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:41 PM
  • I'm glad it helped out. 

I just wanted to save some people some grief.  It would have been nice if something like this was posted before I spent several hours perusing world wide web =D

The fact of the matter is, if you REALLY want to do things right, you'd probably do a clean install, then updates, then SP1.  Then you'd have a 'vanilla' setup that has been undefiled by all of the junk we users install/uninstall on a regular basis...that's not to mention the absurd amount of spy/***/blah -ware that the average user inflicts up on their system without ever knowing it. 

Cheers!
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:15 AM
  •  

I've got this problem on a brand new Dell Laptop. All I had done was windows update, it came to service pack 1 and just hits this error.

Happens at 20% downloaded from windows update

or 70% installed on the standalone copy, same error both times.

The laptop had only had its first boot 4hrs prior to this. But I'm not formatting it now, as I've since got it set up with all the software.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:10 PM
  • Thanks Meetloaf, it worked for me.

I have been a vista repair installation, and applied Vista SP1, and everything worked fine.

A few drivers have been erased in the process (Setpoint for Logitech G5 mouse, Saitek Drivers for my X52 Pro), I reinstalled them, and now everything is working fine.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 1:00 PM
  • I don't know what kind of computer you have, I have an HP with Vista Home Premium, pre installed. There is a recovery program on my computer, you can use to reinstall Vista if needed. Also there is a program to make a recovery disk, or you can buy a disk from HP. Also as soon as you start up you computer you can press and keep pressing the F11 key to bring up the recovery program, to repair of re-install Vista.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 3:21 PM
  •  

Was a solution ever found? Would really like to get SP1 installed ,and a vista re-install is not an option.
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 12:44 PM
  •  theronkinator wrote:

Was a solution ever found? Would really like to get SP1 installed ,and a vista re-install is not an option.

Yes Ron, if you look back few page or two I posted a solution, it does take a while, but those who have tried it have succeeded.

Some people whine that they shouldn't have to /upgrade/reinstall Vista, and they are right, they shouldn't have to.  But the fact of the matter is that you probably want your system as clean as possible before installing SP1, so a reinstall to refresh all of the system files isn't a bad idea.

NOTE: When I say re-install, I'm not talking about losing ANY files, it keeps EVERYTHING in-tact, except for your updates, which will be restored.
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 2:04 PM
  • Meetloaf, the issue to the problem is, I had a brand new laptop with Vista Home premium installled.  Installed windows updates and SP1.  Now I can't install Microsoft updates to update my other software (Office, etc).  So the theory of clean install is out the door.  FYI, I'm not the only person with a clean install that has the same problem.  Microsoft messed up big time on this one.  Re-install is not an option for me since I've already spent countless hours setting up my software on the laptop.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 3:02 PM
  •  

The thing that strikes me Mr Meetloaf is that a Microsoft tech walked me through the steps you listed a page or two back and it did NOTHING to help me get SP1 installed.

In fact it made it worse because after all the stripping and uninstalling of Windows features and Third Party security, I was left with Windows Vista that not only did not work right, but would not even accomplish the "Upgrade in place".

Our final conclusion, corrupt file aside, FORMAT

Haven't done it yet, but it looks like I will.

Monday, April 14, 2008 10:17 PM
  • My friends, just trying to help out.

My purpose of the fix I indicated was intended to help you get SP1 installed...nothing more than that (although refreshing system files may fix other things that were not working properly).

Tri Tran wrote:

Meetloaf, the issue to the problem is, I had a brand new laptop with Vista Home premium installled.  Installed windows updates and SP1.  Now I can't install Microsoft updates to update my other software (Office, etc).  So the theory of clean install is out the door. 

Not necessarily.  Had you done ANYTHING to this brand new laptop before installing SP1?

Tri Tran wrote:
    Re-install is not an option for me since I've already spent countless hours setting up my software on the laptop.

This is a sunk cost, it doesn't matter what you've done before hand, you computer might need a format and re-install, hopefully not, but I wouldn't preclude this option with such reasoning.  But, like I mentioned before, you problem seems to be different than the rest of the people here, b/c you got SP1 installed, whereas we could not.

@Fubar:
    The "FIX" I got came straight from Microsoft, I figured I'd save people phone calls and e-mail correspondence.  I don't know what to tell you other than to reformat. I'm not a tech by any means, just a jack of all trades.

A reformat can be healthy anyhow.  May I recommend making a folder with a Drivers, Programs, and Files folders inside of it.  Inside of the Drivers and Programs Folders place another folder called "Installed".  Then fill the three folders with any files that aren't on your driver disk (upgraded, misc.)  and then drag them into the "Installed" folder as you install them.  So get all the files and things you need BEFORE reformatting, and then stick this folder on your desktop after you install.

This really helps organize the reformat and reinstall process.  It saves tons of time and headache.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 6:53 PM
  • i also want to thank meetloaf as i have finally installed SP1 after weeks of frustration.
    process does take several hours and now it is late into the night.   I did not lose  my files by the way.
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 4:45 AM
  • This error typically indicates missing or corrupt components, files or settings in the RTM version of Vista, so that is what is blocking SP1 from installing because it can't successfuly update the system.

There is a tool that can fix this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821 

In many cases, after SP1 install hits this error, it sets a bit so that Windows Update will offer the tool to fix the problem automatically.  In other cases it may need to be run manually.  The tool is updated as we learn about additional cases to fix.

If this doesn't work the method described by Meetloaf will also work in many cases.  (You don't need to uncheck the installed components - just run the repair install).  It works because it reinstalls all the components, fixing any missing or corrupt components.  But it's only helpful if you have access to an original Vista install DVD.

Monday, April 21, 2008 12:56 AM
  • Hi there
    I have same problem with a preistalled x86 Vista Home on a HP computer
    Windows update stops after 20% and display error code 0x80070002
    I just tried all solution proposed with no results
    (disinstalled Avira, Nero 8, Spyware doctor, shutdown sidebar, google updater, messenger with no results)
    Also tried sp1 self-installer multilanguage 500mb file, but it stops at near end with an error message

It seems that a common problem affect all of us, running sfc /scannow the system find some corrupted libraries that cannot be repaired
    We have to send cbs.log to microsoft in order to solve this problem

Microsoft have to listen and give us a priority email, error 0x80070002 must be corrected

Monday, April 21, 2008 10:40 PM
  • for those still having those Error 0x80070002 problems, see the solutions on these pages:
    http://thevistaforums.com/lofiversion/index.php/t32890.html
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/12/21/fix-error-80070002-when-using-windows-update-in-vista/

hope the solutions there help.  found these sites from Google and Yahoo searches.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 3:44 PM
  • Me too!  this is just awful.  I should have listened to my friend and bought that Apple when I had the extra cash.  Blasted error code 0X80070002...

Monday, April 28, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Trying to install your helpful tool resulted in another error: 80070422.

Now I'm getting pissed as well.

Monday, April 28, 2008 6:26 PM
  •  maryalice anderson wrote:

Trying to install your helpful tool resulted in another error: 80070422.

Now I'm getting pissed as well.

what "helpful tool" are you talking about?  just follow the steps provided from this site:
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/12/21/fix-error-80070002-when-using-windows-update-in-vista/

before trying out those tips, run CHKDSK /F or CHKDSK /R and schedule a disk check on Vista bootup to fix file system errors.

for error 0x80070422 check if the Background Intelligent Transfer Service [BITS] and the Windows Modules Installer Service are not disabled.  If these services are disabled, Vista cannot properly install its updates from Windows Update.  Read these pages on how to resolve the 80070422 error:
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/30296987/vista-ultimate-update-800.aspx
    http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Windows/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/2007-07/msg01170.html

Thursday, May 08, 2008 4:38 PM
  • Personally I think it would be nice if MS actually worked for their Money and fixed the damn problems, I can't believe I have to use the *** they call Vista. And none of the sollutions yet work for me. And no I don't care what you say, I should not have to reinstall the o/s just to get a service pack on.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:38 PM
  • This work for me, Follow the instruction and you will not lose anything.

================

==============

b. Click Install now.

Thanks Meetloaf

Sunday, June 15, 2008 10:27 AM
  • No problem at all.  I'm glad it worked.  Heaven knows, but it may have solved some other potential problems in the future Big Smile

Ciao
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:33 PM
  •  

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 9:29 AM
  • Hi Mr Meetloaf

I need some advice and have read your messages that you have posted on here and wondered if you could provide it! My dad bought me a computer last year to assist with my university work which has Vista pre-loaded. I'm not sure what edition it is or anything but guess it's the most basic one. Since day one I have had numerous problems with it and have spent many hours on the phone with the computer manufacturers. The computer shuts down all the time, windows explorers stops working for no apparent reason and so many more things. I have emailed the computer manufacturers asking them to help but didn't receive a reply. Today I have tried installing updates and keep getting the above mentioned error code. I am at my wits end and don't know where to go now. I can't afford to pay a computer whizz to spend hours dealing with it. The advice that I'm after is whether it's likely to be a problem with the computer itself in which case I should continue down the manufacturer route or whether it is vista and I should just get the computer reformatted and have a different program loaded on.

I understand if you have absolutely no idea but thought it was worth a try....I'm quite attached to my hair and don't want to pull any more out!

Many thanks

claire

Monday, July 07, 2008 7:32 PM
  • Hello Claire,

I'm no guru, but if it were me, I'd reformat that computer and install Vista clean (a clean install is good b/c you won't have all the pre-loaded *** on your computer).

The only problem doing this is that unless you know what drivers you'll need to load, it can be difficult to do.

If you're up to the task, I'd format your hard drive,

then install windows
    then install basic drivers
    let Vista run through ALL updates (when I say ALL, you will have to restart several times b/c some updates require a restart).  You would run updates until at least SP1 is installed (there have been a few security updates since SP1).
    Then I would install all of your miscellaneous drivers (printers, scanners, cameras, display adapter, finger print readers, etc.)
    Then install all of your programs.

Since following this course of action, my computer has worked flawlessly, and I boot into Vista ~40s...it's beautiful.

That said, what computer do you have, and what are the specs on it?

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 1:09 AM
  • I went ahead and burned a copy of the vista recovery cd... but it won't let me install because I get the error of :  0x800070002 say that the source file of : source/install.wim doesn't exist... wat is up with that?  is it at all possible to even get a recovery disc?

Thursday, July 17, 2008 10:30 PM
  •  

This error 0X80070002 is predominantly due to system file corruption.As of now the only solution is to  perform an Inplace Upgrade.

Inplace upgrade is nothing but running Vista again so that the corrupted files will be rectified.Choose the upgrade option while installing.It can be performed by using Windows Anytime Upgrade as well.

Regards

Darkwoods

Sunday, July 20, 2008 6:35 PM
  •  xsniperx31 wrote:
    At the very end of running the installer for SP1, I get this error along with a link that leads me nowhere. I'm running Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

I've tried clearing my Windows Update history, chkdsk, and sfc /scannow. I have the error log for SP1 but I do not know how to read what the problem is. Also, when I ran sfc /scannow, it said that I had some corrupted files that were not able to be fixed. If someone could read that problem as well, as I think it's linked to the SP1 problem, thanks.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:47 AM
  •  

Hi

Please install KB947821 from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/en-us and then install SP1

Regards

Darkwoods

Sunday, November 02, 2008 3:34 PM
  •  

Monday, November 03, 2008 1:32 PM
  • ok boys i have your problum solved hope u are so so happy just click here if it helps and u can send a thank u note later to johnsonmike@in.com grats

http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/I/iuengine.dll/5.4.3790.2182/download.html
    Thursday, January 08, 2009 7:04 AM
  • here u go save the link glad i can help
    Thursday, January 08, 2009 8:10 AM
  • I used the link went to the web page. Called the toll free number. They said it would be a $59 charge. I told them it said free support until March 18, 2009. She said that was only on purchase and installation of new vista SP1, not upgrades. I should have known better. Got me again.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:21 PM
  • oj said:

Have you tried:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/en-us

Good tip!  I was having repeat 0x80070002  symptoms trying to install Vista SP1  and running CheckSUR manually seems to have been the necessary minimal repair.  

What I would like to know is: why didn't the CheckSUR run automatically as the article claims it should?
    Monday, March 09, 2009 9:52 PM
  • FIXED:

================

==============

b. Click Install now.

Good LUCK!
    Hi Meatloaf
    I tried this
    All was jake till it got to the windows key entery
    I entered and it accepted and the next button was hit
    sure enough I got an error for 0x80070002 saying that i have to fix this first before it goes farther
    help please
    thanks
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Ok, so i am running the x86 version of Windows Vista Home Basic and i've been trying to install sp1 ever since it was released, i keep getting the same error code(0x80070002)note im doing the standalone version and not the windows update version, i have contacted support, and wating until morrow'. I've already tried KB94721 or whatever, it said installation complete butttttttt, i STILL couldn't get sp1 installed. So i'll post back soon.
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 1:50 AM
  • THANKS TO ALL OF YOU HOW ANSWERED MY QUESTION. IT IS MIRCROSOFT PROBLEM AND I THINK THEY NEED TO FIX IT.
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:43 PM